Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Post by slarge »

MarkW wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:40 am Anyone headed north east?

I have a 95k route planed taking in Bwlch y Groes and Vyrnwy. I imagine I'll be tackling that part in the dark.
I did plan a route going north and over Bwlch y groes to Lake Vrwnwy but the pub isn't serving food and I couldn't confirm that the bivvy spot was available, hence now going south...
RIP

Post by RIP »

re bearings: Ahh, many thanks for the offers/suggestions chaps. But slight problem is I'm coming on the train and riding from Caersws, and am currently 200 miles away :smile: . I therefore need a functional iron horse from the doorstep. Also unfortunately the naughty bike is 26 WTB QR 9sp and the bouncy one is 26 Crank 12x142 10sp so it would be a bit challenging to swap wheels :smile: . And both front AND rear bearings need doing. Goodness knows what I've been doing to her. It's OK, I'm resigned to looking like the aforementioned complete idiot. I've had plenty of practice at it.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

slarge wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:58 pm I did plan a route going north and over Bwlch y groes to Lake Vrwnwy but the pub isn't serving food and I couldn't confirm that the bivvy spot was available, hence now going south...
Bivvy spot? I was just going to find somewhere flat and quiet

Err. I mean flat-ish. It is Wales
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Can't speak for where Steve means, but this spot is just a bit higher up from where the hotel / bar is.

RIP

Post by RIP »

MarkW wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:14 pm
slarge wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:58 pm I did plan a route going north and over Bwlch y groes to Lake Vrwnwy but the pub isn't serving food and I couldn't confirm that the bivvy spot was available, hence now going south...
Bivvy spot? I was just going to find somewhere flat and quiet

Err. I mean flat-ish. It is Wales
Currently got a beady eye on a spirit-level-flat spot within staggering/wobbling-bike distance of a hostelry with proper beer, food, huge log fire and eccentric (*) locals, north of base :wink: . Am happy for things to get very messy out there but need creature comforts after the moon comes up and the werewolves are abroad :smile: .

(*) so we'll fit in seamlessly of course
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:01 pm Currently got a beady eye on a spirit-level-flat spot within staggering/wobbling-bike distance of a hostelry with proper beer, food, huge log fire and eccentric (*) locals, north of base :wink: .
I've a sneaky feeling from that description that I know exactly where that is likely to be. Possibly. Maybe. :grin: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

At least it looks like the Thundersnow will be over by the weekend.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:13 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:01 pm Currently got a beady eye on a spirit-level-flat spot within staggering/wobbling-bike distance of a hostelry with proper beer, food, huge log fire and eccentric (*) locals, north of base :wink: .
I've a sneaky feeling from that description that I know exactly where that is likely to be. Possibly. Maybe. :grin: :wink:
Well that's where the beady eye is Peter. The actualite will of course be under a tree in a dripping wet pine forest with a pot noodle and a can of Stella.

(BTW, it's not that one, it's the other one :wink: . That one very sadly isn't doing food at the moment, in common with lots of other places it seems. It would of course be jolly nice if we happened to bump into you there, whatever route you take)

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:20 pm (BTW, it's not that one, it's the other one :wink: . That one very sadly isn't doing food at the moment, in common with lots of other places it seems. It would of course be jolly nice if we happened to bump into you there, whatever route you take)
I have put myself entirely in the hands of Kevin, I haven't even plotted the refs onto a map yet! Yes, I fear a number of licenced victuallers will be either closed or offering limited services at the moment :|
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:33 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:20 pm (BTW, it's not that one, it's the other one :wink: . That one very sadly isn't doing food at the moment, in common with lots of other places it seems. It would of course be jolly nice if we happened to bump into you there, whatever route you take)
I have put myself entirely in the hands of Kevin, I haven't even plotted the refs onto a map yet! Yes, I fear a number of licenced victuallers will be either closed or offering limited services at the moment :|
On second thoughts the offer has been rescinded anyway :lol: . On reflection it'd be a really bad idea to bump into you and Kev. Last time it happened, oh, funnily enough on the Winter Event 2 years ago, we were all in the pub as I recall and were about to step out into some fairly playful weather. I'd just put my gear back on and was about to leave, operating under the Wright 20 Minute Rule, when you lot looked out of the window and saw the tropical storm which had at that moment just blown up and promptly announced that you would instead be taking advantage of some rooms in the pub that had suddenly and very suspiciously become available!! Since I'd put my gear on (and needed the BaM) I was duty bound to continue with the ridiculous exit plan. Unfortunately for them Lu and BDS weren't quite quick enough and got stuck to me as well, so we tottered out into the torrential rain with no idea where we were going to kip, never to be seen again. In fact I think we're still out there somewhere.

So, no, it's yours and Kev's turn to enjoy the storm this time matey :grin: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boab

Post by Boab »

I'm going to asses how much mobility I have and how much pain I'm in tomorrow, then make a decision about attendance. 😞
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ChrisE wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:30 am
Boab wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:32 am
ChrisE wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:01 am mmmmmmmmmm

I made up my route at the weekend. I might have been a little optimistic...!!
Oh I don't know, my first route was 167.2km...
Exactly. 216km!

C
Blimey I thought our 71km over the January weekend with 1889m of climbing was being optimistic :wink:
But at least our little group should get to our bivi spot in the daylight to start to dry ourselves out ready for Sunday's ride back
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just in case anyone's wondering, there's a little snow above 400m at present but it appears to be thawing quite quickly. I don't believe there's any forecast for or before weekend.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'm out. Hope you all have a great time...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:18 pm At least it looks like the Thundersnow will be over by the weekend.
The thunder bit of that is back again :wink:

Bad luck Bob :sad:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Happy to report that 60* from a possible 80 ventured out into the wind/rain/sleet/hail this morning and promptly vanished into the low cloud. I know that at least 8 are still alive as I've just seen them :-bd

*I mean 50.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hopefully they'll be easier to spot in the murk with these.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

They are the greatest socks I've ever seen :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:09 pm ...and promptly vanished into the low cloud.
Where is this Low Cloud, and what time do they stop serving?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

^ as subtle as a sledgehammer, love 'em.
Verena

Post by Verena »

I can confirm that a number of socks were cooked, well incinerated :oops: , in our group :lol:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Verena wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:47 pm I can confirm that a number of socks were cooked, well incinerated :oops: , in our group :lol:
Whereas my socks were a godsend after I forgot to pack spare socks for post ride..... not sure if that makes Stu a god?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Well that was pleasant wasn't it.

Thanks Stu and Dee with the hard work you both put in. It's truly appreciated.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Yep, many thanks for giving up your time for us.
You actually made an unsociable person like me be sociable for a short while! :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I had a brilliant weekend, so great to catch up with everyone and have the massive piss taken out of me.

Our little group had an excellent ride in a real mix of weather with a pub tea as a bonus. The only downsides were super cold toes, a shut cafe and a bike that now needs a serious clean.

Thanks Stu and Dee for another great event.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer