Best pegs/ stakes for sand.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Artie Fufkin

Best pegs/ stakes for sand.

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Hoping to get away next week for my own ‘Run to the Sun’ Thinking of heading to the beach to watch the sun go down snd come back up again! Was going to take a tarp, so what’s the go to pegs/ stakes for successful pitching in sand?
Thanks in anticipation.
Adam.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Best pegs/ stakes for sand.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The MSR Blizzard work okay on hardish / compact sand. Nor found much that'll work on proper loose / deep sand other than flling bags with it and using them as anchors.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As Stu says - smallish stuffsacks of around 2l capacity filled with sand and dug into the sand about a foot or so. If you use them for your main anchor points - guys/corners you can get by with wide bladed pegs (usually sold as snow pegs or anchors) for the others.
I find a free standing tent rather than a tarp is best. In that case you can get away with poor pegging as long as you have enough weight in the tent and it’s not too windy.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I saw these on ULG recently. Don't think I would be paying £80 even for six of them, but it's something you could make easily enough from some plastic sheeting and dyneema cord.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... pack-p6608

I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Have a search for snow anchors and associated techniques. Snow and sand are very similar in how they react to pressure, basically you want to spread the load as much as possible. The device shown below is known as a "deadman" in climbing circles.

If you've got access to branches or long bits of wood then tie a guy line to the centre of them and bury them with the main length at right angles to the intended direction of pull. You'll have to dig a slot for the guy line as well so it does just lift the branch out. Basically you are making a T shaped slot in the sand with the anchor going across the top and the guy line following the vertical line.

If you've access to a beach beforehand then have a practice.

Obviously you'll need a shovel of some sort. The other tip is to disturb the sand on the load side as little as possible, do your digging away from your tent if that makes sense.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

All good info chaps, thanks.
Will probably go with some wide type stakes snd some bags to fill and bury with sand.
Hopefully the good weather will last and we can just bivvy, but like to be prepared!
Cheers for the input.