Sonder Frontier - anyone had/got one?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jack

Sonder Frontier - anyone had/got one?

Post by Jack »

Tempted by a Frontier to replace my DIY frame that's not quite working for me, has anyone had/got one and got any opinions? I've read the review Stu did awhile back and a few bits on Singletrack but apart from that there's not much out there.

The appeal is:
a) price seems reasonable for frame only
b) geometry and spec look well thought out, and components will be a direct swap from current frame
c) it's actually in stock in my size.

Will be using it for bikepacking and XC rides. Build will be fairly light with rigid carbon forks, loop bars, 1x11 X01, 29er wheels and 2.2 Rangers.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sonder Frontier - anyone had/got one?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I liked it but i recall it had odd rear wheel spacing?
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:37 pm I liked it but i recall it had odd rear wheel spacing?
The 141QR has been dropped for 148TA boost now. :-bd

Haven't ridden one myself but a chap at work has one and loves it. He's put in some big miles bikepacking on his.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The 141QR has been dropped for 148TA boost now.
In that case, can't fault it. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jack

Post by Jack »

Good to hear positive things, ears open for anyone else's input too. And yes, looking at the MK2 with the boost thru-axles.
ripio

Post by ripio »

I've had a Frontier for nearly 3 years now.
Very good bike. I got the mk1 verison with suspension fork and 27.5+ wheels/tyres with 2.8" tyres.
Used it for three weeks bikepacking in Scotland in 2018, plus various shorter trips since.
Recently got a set of 29er wheels for it as well and have been running it with Schwalbe Ice Spiker 29x2.25" tyres in the wintry weather.
Mine has the 141qr rear spacing which I can see becoming obsolete in a couple of years so probably a good thing they have moved to 148TA.
I have bought a spare rear hub for mine just in case of obsolesence down the track. Although some of the better quality hubs can run both specs with different end caps.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tom and I have both had a Frontier in the QR flavour with 148 boost. We ran 27.5 and 29 size wheels. I did two HT550s on mine and Tom one on his.
Great vfm bikes imho. (though ours were loaners)
Loki

Post by Loki »

I have a V2 Frontier and it is actually up for sale at the moment, I really like the bike, rides well, quite light and feels good even with a bike packing load on board, the only reason I am selling it is because, I wanted to get a fat bike.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sounds like only good things to say about it, particularly at the price and with the 148TA not causing any obselecence issues like the older 141QR. Thanks all.

Edit: just saw your post as I posted mine @Loki, if it's the one in your ad on the classifieds then unfortunately I'd be after a Large. Thanks though
Loki

Post by Loki »

Jack wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 am Sounds like only good things to say about it, particularly at the price and with the 148TA not causing any obselecence issues like the older 141QR. Thanks all.

Edit: just saw your post as I posted mine @Loki, if it's the one in your ad on the classifieds then unfortunately I'd be after a Large. Thanks though
No worries, it sells when it sells, it is hidden away in work until all the restrictions shift
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com