Winters coming - will you change much?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Winters coming - will you change much?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now that the nights are drawing in and there's that constant nip in the air will your kit change. I imagine for most folk the obvious switch will be to something a little warmer in the sleeping bag department but will anyone chance much else? Will a tent replace a tarp? Will you change your sleeping mat to a full length one? Will you take more fuel for cooking/brewing?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt

Re: Winters coming - will you change much?

Post by Matt »

Well with the onset of Winter I'm wondering if it's possible to ride my bike even less than I have for the past couple of months?

If I get out (really want to do a Winter bivvy again) then it will be the big bag (-29er :) )

The main thing I need to change right now is my quota of riding :(
Last edited by Matt on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I'll probably use a gas stove rather than meths or solid fuel as I'll be wanting a hot meal/morning coffee as quickly as possible in the colder weather. I'll probably also stick to food that cooks quickly rather than waiting for things to rehydrate or cooking meals from scratch, as I have been throughout the summer.

I did a subzero bivi last winter with a 3/4 length Wee Airic and a balloon bed. It was warm enough but I had to stick my pack under my feet to keep them off the ground. However, my Airic's on the way out so I might buy one of those thicker Karrimor full length mats for £32 for the winter
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Lite-C ... 113&sr=8-2. What do you think?

So far this year I haven't spent a night under canvas (the OMM in October 2010 was the last time I slipped into a flysheet). I've just got hold of a Gelert Solo though so I might test that soon to see what it's like being in a coffin (In fact, after a summer under the stars I think I'd feel claustrophobic in any size tent). One thing I thought I'd try with the Solo is pitching it without the inner. It might be handy that way for a lightweight tent that's OK for campsites.

Finally, I bought a pair of cheap Regatta insulated booties for putting on around camp (I couldn't afford down). They don't pack down small but I'll give 'em a go. Cold feet aren't so much of a problem when I'm hiking as I have thick winter boots, but after a long ride with SPDs I find that the cleats conduct coldness into the soles of my feet (and I always get bloomin' wet feet when I'm cycling in winter).
Finally, I'll be ditching the vino and chosing the more compact whisky as my winter bivi beverage of choice. I don't want to be having to get out of my warm nest in the middle of the night to purge my bladder :-)
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

i tend to bivvy more over the winter :)

rigid forks are already on the bike - suspension over the summer gets shorter every year (150 miles of summer this year!)

i am looking to get a full length mat but have used my 3/4 previous winters - lets see what santa brings... :)

over the winter i tend to always take a stove for a hot dinner/ hot drink before bed. hot breakfast hot drink in the am. over the summer i'm happy to leave it behind.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Big sleeping bag obviously; long mat; change the mesh tent inner for the draft proof one; go from meths to gas/petrol (depending on temperature); add down booties maybe; more hot food/brekky and vintage port; a few podcasts on the Shuffle; make sure the lights are properly charged for a change!
Bike would need a proper service too and I've been on the hunt for 29er studded tyres too.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

nokian extreme 294 is the tyre you want.

not sure if they are imported to the uk, but they are availble in germany/ norway/ usa.

people were importing them from norway last winter....
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

slugwash wrote:I'll probably use a gas stove rather than meths or solid fuel as I'll be wanting a hot meal/morning coffee as quickly as possible in the colder weather. I'll probably also stick to food that cooks quickly rather than waiting for things to rehydrate or cooking meals from scratch, as I have been throughout the summer.

I did a subzero bivi last winter with a 3/4 length Wee Airic and a balloon bed. It was warm enough but I had to stick my pack under my feet to keep them off the ground. However, my Airic's on the way out so I might buy one of those thicker Karrimor full length mats for £32 for the winter
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Lite-C ... 113&sr=8-2. What do you think?
The Karrimor you linked is identical to the multimat adventure superlite which I've got ( but paid £10 more for). I've no complaints, it's light and comfy - haven't tested it in the cold but hopefully with it being 38mm thick it should be fine.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Cheers for that TT... working in Norway at the mo' so I'll have a look around for the 294s.... seem to be on sale at some places here at present for a reasonable price... depends on if we get the same snow cover as last year! Ta, Mark
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

The Karrimor you linked is identical to the multimat adventure superlite which I've got ( but paid £10 more for). I've no complaints, it's light and comfy - haven't tested it in the cold but hopefully with it being 38mm thick it should be fine.
Cheers Rudedog :-) I might have to take the kids clothes shopping in Exeter during half-term so will make a beeline for Sports Direct on the trip (as well as Cotswolds Outdoors, Taunton Leisure, The Kit Shop, Endicotts Army Surplus, Moorland Rambler, AS Watersports, The Bike Shed, TK Maxx, & the recently opened Go Outdoors ;-) )