Sonder Camino volution wheelset upgrade advise, having issues

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Sonder Camino volution wheelset upgrade advise, having issues

Post by Adventurer »

Have a Mk1 Sonder Camino Titanium with a love mud volution 650b wheelset with 32 spokes. On QR. (Would need hubs that convert to QR) 6 bolt disk
Using continental racekings 2.0 Tyres

The front wheel I had Alpkit put a Son28 dynamo hub on.

I do all my own work on my bikes apart from wheel building. I’ve stripped down the rear hub and cleaned/changed the bearings. Really looked after the hub and wheel.
The problem I’m having is that I’m still getting rust on the paws and ratchet inside the hub. The sealing on the hub I’m finding is just not great. I’m getting fed up with it now, so I’ve decided to buy a new wheel set but would like some pointers from those that do bikepacking. Hope you can help

At the moment I’m thinking of a hope pro 4 hub but not 100% sure
I’ve no idea what rims, but happy with double butted spokes with brass nipples.

However, I need a wheel builder that would accept me sending them my front dynamo hub that could be built into the wheelset, so custom wheels would be my onLy option I think.

So could you offer suggestions of a good rim/rear hub combination that would be ideal for loaded bikepacking. And recommended wheelbuilders that do it via online/delivery.
sean_iow

Re: Sonder Camino volution wheelset upgrade advise, having issues

Post by sean_iow »

I build my own wheels but if I didn't I'd get Keep Pedalling in Manchester to do it. I'm sure they'd also advise about rims and hubs as well.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger