Last minute packing panic

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Last minute packing panic

Post by Dave Barter »

Exposure Toro and Joystick

In the bike box or hand baggage for international flight? I'm not sure where they fit given they have lithiums inside
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Re: Last minute packing panic

Post by whitestone »

Hand luggage - they'll be confiscated otherwise. I'd check with airport and airline to be doubly certain.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks Bob that's what I was thinking. But a Toro and a joystick don't look good together on a scanner ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

One trip I had a spot tracker next to my flasks next to my head torch, all wrapped up together for easy packing.

Just got through customs and about to order a coffee when the tannoy called for me :oops: Back through customs the wrong way and to the check in area...

To their credit, the staff were great, respectful and then fast tracked me back through customs :lol:

Since then, always been hand luggage
FLV

Post by FLV »

I never gave it a second thought flying to Italy recently. Diablo was in the bike box and had no issue.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Have carried a Strada and joystick in hand luggage on UK internal flights with only the occasional need to open my bag at security. The comment "I don't trust expensive electronics in hold baggage" has always seemed to meet with agreement, but I've learnt that US airport security are less consistent / predicable than here.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I was told that the batteries in small items like bike lights were too small to be a fire risk and so they could go in the hold. Laptop batteries are much larger which I why you can't check them in.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Borderer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 am I was told that the batteries in small items like bike lights were too small to be a fire risk and so they could go in the hold. Laptop batteries are much larger which I why you can't check them in.
This can only be from airport / airline staff meaning well but not appreciating what modern bike lights are like. My 2017 14" Dell laptop standard battery is about 4.5Ah, my Strada is 7.8Ah.

Anyway, as much as I'm worried about exploding things on planes, I'm more worried about light fingered baggage handlers or bags full of expensive electronics going to incorrect destinations.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Lights, Garmins, Batteries, Camera all in my hand luggage inside my cycling helmet, never had a problem.
I am always disappointed if they don't pull my bag on the Xray as its got to look dodgy.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Borderer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 am I was told that the batteries in small items like bike lights were too small to be a fire risk and so they could go in the hold. Laptop batteries are much larger which I why you can't check them in.
With respect, airlines appear to be worried about batteries in mobile phones (with good cause given the smoking Samsungs that were kicking around for a while) so I doubt light batteries are "too small" to be worth it :cool:

Dave - I've travelled with all sorts of sub standard for work in both hand and hold baggage (batteries, blades, tools, field equipment, multiple lights, cables out the wazoo etc etc. IME it's a lottery but if ever in doubt put it in hand luggage. Better to loose it at security / bag check and know this than arrive at your destination and find your stuff isn't in there or (worse) your bags have been "delayed".