Drop Bar Disc Brakes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Drop Bar Disc Brakes

Post by Chew »

Using bar end shifters, but what combo of levers and calipers do people recommend?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Drop Bar Disc Brakes

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't really fault BB7 or do you want something hydraulic? The TRP on the Arkose LTD were very good.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Happy with either hydraulic or cable.
Had some BB7s on another bike and didn’t get on with them
ton

Post by ton »

Matt, this combo off my tourer was cracking. good enough to stop me going down rosedale chimney with panniers.
i stupidly put flat bars on and the calipers dont perform hald as good.

TRP HYRD cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes with Shimano 160mm rotors and Tektro RL340 road brake levers
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve got a set of the Shimano fully hydraulic ones. They are spot on and so far have needed less bleeding or attention than the Mtb versions.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i stupidly put flat bars on and the calipers dont perform hald as good.
Pretty sure that drop bars and flat bar levers have different pull ratios hence the issues.

I have them on mine and they are plenty powerful enough.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I've been using sram single speed levers (commotion shifter and a rohloff) and BB7s the levers have been fine, BB7s are ok but need regular tweaking (or maybe I'm not tweaking them properly).

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products ... rake-lever
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

If its drop bars and levers we are talking about then I'd be looking at the new 105 r7000 disc brakes. Not tried them myself but all the reports are talking about how they are as good as ultegra (which in turn are mentioned as being as good as Dura Ace)....

BB7s do require constant adjustments of the pads whilst they wear and it can be a bit fiddly as well as stressful on the hands as sometimes they can become a bit stiff. I used to love BB7s when we firdt started on disc brakes buthe hydraulics of today are much better (on my opinion) which I realised after using a set briefly on someones bike.

Also regards Shimano brakes... the hydraulic discs did have some teething issues buy that years ago but nowadays they are always reported as being the best of the best both in real life reviews and the mag reviews.

One last thing that I recently heard Hambini (aerospace engineer that annoys companies like Ceramic Speed by exposing some of theirs and other expensive companies hype... a precision engineer) state that Shimano is the bees knees compared to comapnies like SRAM/Avid and Campag...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

HopeValleyPaul wrote:I've been using sram single speed levers (commotion shifter and a rohloff) and BB7s the levers have been fine, BB7s are ok but need regular tweaking (or maybe I'm not tweaking them properly).

How are you getting on with the Co-Motion shifter?
Are you using it for off-road? I've been using a Rohbox up to now and have decided I don't get on with it for proper off road. It simply takes too much time and too many shifts to go up and down the gears. The standard Rohloff shifter is much more reactive on my flat bar bike.
Musing on either a Co-Motion or Gilles Berthoud one. Probably the GB as it sits on the 24mm section of the bar and that way I can still run aero extensions and a barbag.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

lune ranger wrote:
HopeValleyPaul wrote:I've been using sram single speed levers (commotion shifter and a rohloff) and BB7s the levers have been fine, BB7s are ok but need regular tweaking (or maybe I'm not tweaking them properly).

How are you getting on with the Co-Motion shifter?
Are you using it for off-road? I've been using a Rohbox up to now and have decided I don't get on with it for proper off road. It simply takes too much time and too many shifts to go up and down the gears. The standard Rohloff shifter is much more reactive on my flat bar bike.
Musing on either a Co-Motion or Gilles Berthoud one. Probably the GB as it sits on the 24mm section of the bar and that way I can still run aero extensions and a barbag.

I've done about 2500km on it and had no problems so far. It's function is as good as the original shifter, its just a bit ugly.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

TRP Hylex here with bar end shifters, excellent!
Scud

Post by Scud »

Depends on budget, best budget ones i have used are TRP Hylex hydraulic brakes, for more expensive, when i bought Reilly Gradient, i'd just done 50 hours of double time at work, so was a little flush for once, so the Reilly has Ultegra levers with the Hope RX4 callipers, they're bloomin marvelous, on Torino-Nice i could happily lock back brake with fully loaded bike coming down a 15% slope at 45mph and really good modulation