Sensible train news

Post by ianfitz »

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... -1-4834650

This really shouldn’t be difficult.
Mariner

Re: Sensible train news

Post by Mariner »

Well I cant find a way past the privacy notice so yes it is difficult. :oops:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Clicked it twice and the privacy thing went away.

Excellent! They must have been reading my posts of a few days ago :wink:. Let's have them on the Cambrian lines too then please, Wales is generally sensible about these things like Scotland, unlike England. Bean-to-cup coffee as well, very nice.

"contract for the conversion work has yet to be awarded". Oh.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not on the trains from the Central belt to Inverness though. Seems like a me a strange omission. How are friends folk supposed to get to Inverness with their bikes - and why not have skiers using the train to Aviemore?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks sensible to me. It takes energy (and therefore money) to pull carriages around so you don't want a space that gets periodic heavy usage then is empty the rest of the time.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Sensible and trains aren't really two words that go together that often. The bright spark that designed trains as 4 or 5 car units probably thought that they were an ingenious engineering design of distributed weight and power without ever considering how inflexible they are for coping with rush hour traffic.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

whitestone wrote:. It takes energy (and therefore money) to pull carriages around so you don't want a space that gets periodic heavy usage then is empty the rest of the time.
I had to get the train to work a few times earlier this year when I’d cracked my ribs (I normally cycle). I was surprised to find it was a single carriage train at the commuter rush time, and it was rather full! Suffolk is way less populated than Essex (which is what I’m used to)!

275 (02-10-2018) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
Having been kicked off this train in the middle of BF nowhere with a bike due to a mess up in tickets/reservations, I welcome this!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Greater Anglia trains are useless. For the Friday before the Dunwich Dynamo they banned any bikes boarding anywhere other than Ipswich because it was unfair on other customers. Heaven forbid anyone consider planning ahead for this event they were therefore obviously aware of and putting on another carriage or two.

Or that time I went to Kennett and had to wheel my bike through the passenger seating area as I had to put it in a specific carriage but the platform is too short so I couldn't leave said carriage.

On the plus side some of their rolling stock is so old it still has a guards van and they are so frequently over an hour late I can claim back my rail fare. :roll:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Working now.
That's interesting and all the bike hanging the right way. The last time I travelled on a train out of FW the guard made hang my bike by the back wheel.
I think he was just grumpy because the station manager made him delay departure while I bought a ticket.
I muttered something about Velo Rule 1 to him but I don't think he was familiar with it.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Beware those ceiling mounted hooks for the front wheel - they will only deal with a 2" tyre max. You definitely can't even fit 2.3". :shock:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'll believe it when it happens.....
Not sure there is a huge demand for skis and boards though, and likely to guarantee a run of crap winters....(plus not much use on the Aviemore line this season :roll: )

If you have drilled rims (ie on a plus or fat bike) the hooks push into the rim tape and hold the bike firmly :-bd