Fat bike tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Fat bike tyres

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:
htrider wrote:Having a shed entirely filled with part worn fat bike tyres is a sign of the true die hard fatbiker (or something - am I just trying to justify a shed full of part worn fat bike tyres??)
1x works well with a 26t ring. It spins an 11t out at about 18mph which is as fast as you ever need to go on a fat bike :mrgreen:
1x would need new cranks (the SRAM X5 is 2x only), new derailleur since the X5 is max 36T, new cassette, new chain. RaceFace AEffect crank is 300g lighter than the X5 then you'd lose roughly 300g with the loss of the front shifter and derailleur. There'd be a slight increase in weight with a larger range cassette, call it 50g. That'd be somewhere in the region of £250 for 550g savings :shock: That's without even considering going to 11spd or XD drivel. I think letting the current drivetrain wear out first might be in order.

Edit: knowing SRAM's predilection for odd BB standards, it's likely to need a new one of those as well :roll:
Looks like you've got your xmas present to Cath sorted then :lol: Aeffect is 24mm btw
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

you can get 75mm wide gorilla tape from screwfix
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

windjammer wrote:you can get 75mm wide gorilla tape from screwfix
The 48mm was as wide as I could find but I'd searched for 100mm width which doesn't exist apparently. Didn't think to look for 75mm.

Phil - as I was typing the above she's just said that she doesn't want to go 1x. I've the AEffect cranks on my fat bike so knew they were 24mm. Looking at Surly's site the current Wednesday has gone 1x.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Update.

The front tyre wouldn't stay inflated, it would lose pressure over about 24hrs. A bit of (well a lot actually) of searching around and I found the reason, this was in a post on the MTBR forums from about four years ago! The rims (My Other Brother Darryl) have four sets of manufacturing "breathing" holes just inside the bead seat. These are tiny and almost impossible to see. I'd taped to these but not over them :roll: Off with tyre, retape but this time going all the way across the bead seat, replace tyre. We'll see if it's any better. If it isn't then it's my taping at fault.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry