Another Winter Bivvy :)

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Stevemorg

Re: Another Winter Bivvy :)

Post by Stevemorg »

To keep with tradition isn't there a car park at the pub we could just crash out in?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Okays, at the risk of tempting fate here, I've rung t'Ragleth Inn and suggested that a bunch of smelly bikepackers would like to descend on them on 15th Dec and stuff and drink themselves stupid (well, more stupid then). The phone didn't go dead.

The Christmas menu will be up on the website after next weekend, 3 courses is about £23. We'll obviously need to pre-book and also to state what menu options each of us would like. There's a fixed Xmas menu, but also a la carte. Although I hesitate to mention the latter because it always causes a lot of grief for the ringleader (which seems to be me, by some strange miscalculation). Just have the blasted fixed Xmas menu and enjoy it :wink:. You'll be so drunk by dishing up time that you won't care anyway. Very trustingly they don't want a deposit. Yes, there's loads of options for wierdo veggies like me.

I'd suggest we book for about ten people, then after the menu appearance put a deadline of two weeks for exact numbers and menu options. Harsh eh - but I know how it goes otherwise :wink:. We can have a whole room to ourselves if there's more than 20 of us. If not we just get to cause havoc in the main bar.

There's two trampolines in the garden, and I'm sure I spotted a cocktail menu in one of the gallery photographs of the bar, so those are major plus points obviously.

http://www.theraglethinn.co.uk/

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, and yes there is a car park Steve, I've just checked. Looks pretty comfy from the photos.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Car parks grand and we can put the bikes in the back of the pub behind the gate, reg I would have got round to it I was just looking what dates I can get out this month , also did they mention a deposit
RIP

Post by RIP »

No stress Stu mate, hope you're ok with me cracking on? It just popped into me head for some reason. Nice lady said no deposit, which I did offer. Myself, I'd be slightly worried cooking 20 dinners for a possible empty room but fair play to her. I expect you'll be there one evening soon enough to jolly it all along too :smile: Let's keep an eye out for that menu next weekend then we can post again for names n whatnot.

middleagedmadness

Not a problem mate ,you crack on as it looks like I'm only gonna get a local one in this month over the chase or so ,so it'll be end of Oct when I get down there
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Top spec cat herding Reg et al, 75.27% of the way to a weekend pass. If the 'matrimonial negotiations' are successful, I'll drive over there and will have space for +1 and bike.
Never knowingly under biked...
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Popped this in my diary... Will confirm asap.
siboy

Post by siboy »

Count me in! Just sorting some winter gear.
Cheers
Si
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Mbnut wrote:Popped this in my diary... Will confirm asap.
Nige if you need a lift lemme know
I'm just going outside ...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

You lot are far too organised. I was under the impression this was going to happen before the Winter Bivvy. Perhaps it could be a pre-Winter Bivvy, Winter bivvy. I have a little bit of a sentimental attachment to being damp in Wales for this one.

A cross-border raid in one direction or the other would suffice for me if people are going to be organised. That way I can have the piss taken out of me by both groups when I fall off Lois.

Greetz

S.
middleagedmadness

Scattamah wrote:You lot are far too organised. I was under the impression this was going to happen before the Winter Bivvy. Perhaps it could be a pre-Winter Bivvy, Winter bivvy. I have a little bit of a sentimental attachment to being damp in Wales for this one.

A cross-border raid in one direction or the other would suffice for me if people are going to be organised. That way I can have the piss taken out of me by both groups when I fall off Lois.

Greetz

S.
Scott not a issue if your going Welsh winter bivy I'm sure one of us can get a route together mate , and I think I can find my way to the spot,will try and get down to you in a couple of weeks but it'll be a school night bivy ,got a lot on Oct and November so it's only gonna be local ones for me ,won't forget your pedal this time
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm not overly attached to being organised either Scott but with an Xmas dinner involved the pub logistics unfortunately have a bearing on it. Still, it would be completely in keeping with the bonkersness ethos if the Salopian/Chiltonian bike-off had no Salopians actually present :smile:.

Someone mentioned starting at Newtown and doing the Kerry Ridgeway which sounds fun. I also rather like the idea of sleeping half in Wales and half in England but that probably won't fit MaM's route so I'll save that.

middleagedmadness

Reg I have no route :-bd so whatever takes your fancy,it was me who said to Stu we could ride from caersws or Newtown across
Al

Post by Al »

Sounds like your riding past my door - count me in reg!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hi Al, is your door on top of the Mynd then? :smile:. Vague recollection you lived in the Fens somewhere, which if so I need to have a slightly panicky check of our route :wink:.

Al

Post by Al »

No Reg, I’m on the Kerry ridgeway just before it drops into Bishops Castle.

The username is a little misleading since we moved - I did ask stu to change it!

Edit - he has! Thanks stu :-bd
Although now none of the above makes any sense....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah right! Thanks Al (shortest forum name?! Unless anyone's called 'A'??). Still nattering to MaM about route and suspect that TBH a Saturday lunch to Sat eve circular from the Strettons will probably work best for the majority of contestants (then into the boozer then a wobbly ride to MaM's top secret ((unless your name's Scott or Ben)) hideout). However no reason not to set up a 'Kerry Ridgeway' subgroup :smile:.

RIP

Post by RIP »

PS you lucky chap having the Three Tuns as your local!

Al

Post by Al »

Happy over to bimble over to the Strettons if that’s where you want to start. If youre headed for a bivi on the mynd I think I can guess the spot you mean - I’ve stayed there my self a few times myself .
Three tuns pub has bit of a reputation for giving dodgy hang overs (and wierdly is nothing to do with the brewery it’s joined to) - you want to check out the castle roundbthe corner, much nicer beer.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Checking in... up for this if the transport works out.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

middleagedmadness

You may be looking at own room reg and not the bar :shock:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Nothing confirmed yet, but I have asked my wife if she fancies a trip to see her family on this weekend...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Right then!

The very nice Wendy (well we've not actually met but she sounds very nice :smile:) has sent me a sneak preview of the Christmas Menu. It's not on general release yet but we must be a special case :smile:. I'll bung it here so you can peruse and choose, but also so that the other mobs can get all jealous as they contemplate their bothy Xmas boil in a bag dinners :wink:. If you genuinely can't find summat to your taste (really??) there's apparently a la carte but you'll have to go and look at the website.

STARTERS: Broccoli & Stilton soup with Parmesan Croutons OR Tian(*) of Crab and Avocado(**) OR Wild Mushroom Risotto with Parsnip Crisps and Walnut Oil OR Scotch Egg with Beetroot Chutney OR Chicken Liver Brandy Parfait coated in Orange Butter with Winter Chutney.
(*) no, I've got absolutely no idea either.
(**) avocado, hah! So much for not catering for wussy southerners - we'll be in heaven!

MAINS:
Roast Salop Turkey, Pigs in Blankets, Chestnut Stuffing, Cranberry Sauce OR Roast Partridge on Watercress Mash with Caramelized Pear and Port Wine Sauce OR Spinach, Cranberry & Chestnut Roast with Root Veg, and Mushroom & Madeira sauce OR Rib Eye Steak with Tarragon Yorkshire Pud, Watercress Puree and Red Wine sauce OR Honey Roast Duck on Spicy Noodles with Plum & Sweet Chili Sauce OR Homemade Game and Cranberry Pie OR Sea Bass on Seafood and Chorizo Paella

Good grief MaM, I thought you said this was "nice basic nosh for plebs"!! It's gourmet bullsh bingo :lol:. Mr Wright, just do not say a word :lol:. Still, there's no "jus" in sight so it must be fine. Top menu I reckon there.

PUDS: Xmas Pud & Brandy Sauce obviously OR Selection of Home Made Sweets (rhubarb and custard boiled sweets hopefully). Oh hang on, further on it says eg: Choc Salted Caramel Roulade OR Cheesecake OR Caramel Pineapple Meringue OR Bread & Butter Pud etc etc.

PLUS: Coffee and Chocolates.

If that lot doesn't do a Mr Creosote on you then finally: "ALSO AVAILABLE: Liqueur coffees, plus local cheeseboard, grapes, celery, crackers"

Three course blow out for the princely sum of £23.50. Ace!

MaM if that bivi spot is where I think it is, I've absolutely zero chance of getting up there after all that lot mate, so I'll be kipping on top of one of those trampolines in the garden :lol:.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.