Ordnance survey app

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Ordnance survey app

Post by BigdummySteve »

For a few years I’ve used the OS map app, over that time I’ve bought around 130 1:25k map tiles, all of the UK at 1:50k plus wales and other nation parks at 1:25k

It’s a considerable investment but one which has worked well for me. When I’ve upgraded my hardware it’s been an easy process reinstall the maps.

However shortly after launching their subscription based service, it was announced that the app would no longer be supported. No updates. While it’s still works it now crashes occasionally and I suspect that within a short while my perhaps £350 worth of maps will just disappear.

Is there any legal standing concerning digital content? As far as I know I can’t use or access it apart from using their app.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Oli.vert

Re: Ordnance survey app

Post by Oli.vert »

There may well be, but it's likely the stuff of test cases.

Back in the middle days of file-sharing websites like u-torrent and the like, there were cases of people getting sued for having huge amounts of 'other peoples' music on their hard-drives, or for having downloaded huge amounts of music. There were a few cases where people demonstrated that they had infact paid for licenses to much of that music when they first bought it as vinyl or CD. What you buy when you buy an album is a license to that music as much as you buy a piece of plastic - and it was argued successfully that the license is in perpetuity for the original purchaser. So that person could lose the vinyl album at some point, but would still retain the license.

It's possible that an argument could be brought that you have paid for a license to use those maps - and that by removing the app, OS are effectively removing your ability to enjoy the benefit of having paid for those licenses.

You should have a big read of the t+c's of that app if possible, as they might have put a restriction in, like 'license for the duration of the app' but it's likely that they didnt bother, in which case you could have a fairly strong argument. There must be a heap of people in the same situation, but it would likely take a lot of uproar (and/or a court case) to get OS to make a conciliatory offer.
Last edited by Oli.vert on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

For now the app is still usable but I feel the writing is on the wall.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use it on the PC and my phone. Of course, my annual subscription lets me see all of the U.K. mapping as long as I have a data connection.

I had a look at the About section on my phone app, and it says this...

OS Maps is still being enhanced - we're working on the following new features for future releases:

Automatically synchronise routes between devices and the OS Maps browser version
Find places of interest along your route
Route rating and ranking
Automatically finding a circular route

Mine is in auto-update mode so I'm not sure when it was last updated.

Edit: are you using the OS Mapfinder App? I think that's been discontinued in favour of the current OS Maps App.
jBay

Post by jBay »

I wrote to them having only bought 50 tiles and got access to the subscription app for a couple of years for free.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Backcountry navigator is about 10 quid for all the UK OS maps (and US, etc equivalents, using it in France at the mo) and has always worked better than the ghastly OS official app.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I've said it before, but Maverick app for android has free OS that can be cached to your phone. Along with a wife range of other map bases and satellite. The Maverick Pro version is only a few quid and let's you plot more waypoints.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

As far as I am aware all of the Maverick/Back country type apps using Microsoft Bing to download and store OS tiles. It's a slightly dubious practise and in my view will go the way of Google one day with Bing killing access to these apps.

I've used Backcountry Navigator a lot and it works really well but I don't kid myself that one day it will lose the OS layer as OS derive no revenue from it at all and probably want to. Or (as happened with Google) Bing will want me to sign up for a license key with them.

As far as OS maps are concerned always keep your options open.

As for BigDummySteve I found this horrible bit of small print on the OS site which seems to suggest you should call customer service ASAP and ask for a free code for the latest app.

"* Tile downloads will be free for the life of the application or until 31 March 2016 (whichever is longer). Updates occur bi-annually (twice a year) as Ordnance Survey updates its mapping."
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

All very well,2016 but you can still buy tiles now :roll:

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Same thing happened to me with Anquet - spent £170 on full UK coverage for 1:25 and 1:50k a couple of years a go and they no longer support the programme to run them on the PC. It started crashing repeatedly and they didn't seem bothered about it so offered me 6 months free subscription. In the end I ditched the lot as I could no longer be bothered with the hassle.

I did the 7 day trial with OS but I thought it was rubbish for the price. I may go with Viewranger as a few pals have said its pretty good.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve been using MapOut on iPhone. A few pounds to buy but then download as many OSM based map tiles as you want.

Can import gpx files via a MapOut email very easily.

Also like kamoot which costs now to buy. Good for route planning (with a data signal) and can save maps offline. Seems to know what are sensible bike routes.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've been using Viewranger heavily for years. I'm heavily bought into the maps in the same way as the OP, but I think they offer a full-access flat-rate subscription service similar the OS app now. Hoping they will stick around - no reason to think they wouldn't. Also, the app's great.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

alpine quest - about £7 iirc- will allow you to use ,data and wifi free, the old style memory map OS maps

The free version allows you to load one map area but not add routes.