lightweight 1 (BIG) man tent idea's

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

lightweight 1 (BIG) man tent idea's

Post by ton »

looking for a new one man set up. been using a banshee for years for bike tours.
saw this and liked the idea.

anyone got any thoughts for a a 6ft 4'' big bloke.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10239
Bearbonesnorm

Re: lightweight 1 (BIG) man tent idea's

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As with all tarp-tent / hybrids, condensation is possibly going to be an issue but it'll depend on conditions and how much air you're willing to let circulate. It does appear to have a peak vent but hard to see how big it is. Sleeping with the door open / half open would help.

For similar money, I'd be tempted by the SMD Skyscape Trekker or for less (but heavier), the Scout model. Both have an internal length of 8' 5" and have much more of an 'inner' than the Big Sky does which should help reduce condensation.

Gairy has one and he's not a small lad :wink:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10299

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10300
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

i saw that one. good to come on here and get advice from someone who has seen a tent in use, and also has a idea how big i am....... :-bd

cant tell from the picture on the site, but are they put up with just one walking pole, or do you sell a suitable pole Stuart?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Skyscape uses 2 poles set at an angle Tony. It makes them very stable and good access. Walking poles would work fine or something lighter / smaller packing could be supplied :wink:

Another thing that appeals about the Skyscape is that you can open up both sides for plenty of ventilation, views, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

thanks for the help mate.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:For similar money, I'd be tempted by the SMD Skyscape Trekker or for less (but heavier), the Scout model. Both have an internal length of 8' 5" and have much more of an 'inner' than the Big Sky does which should help reduce condensation.

Gairy has one and he's not a small lad :wink
Cheeky bugger!

But yes, guilty as charged.

Great bit of kit!

Had it 5-6 years now and still love it. Used it on Wednesday and once again amazed at how much space it has inside (for a one person lightweight tent).

I'm 6'2" and can lay out and sleep with my arms above my head as well as sit fully upright with a possible sniff of head touching (but no problem).

The ability to open it almost fully up and still retain the insect screen is a great feature too.

Highly recommended.