Dynamo wheelset

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Dynamo wheelset

Post by robbie »

I want to get a wheelset / front wheel with a dyno set up. I don't really know much about them. I want to run a light and charge.what do i need and can anybody recomend a set up?
Cheers
Steezysix

Re: Dynamo wheelset

Post by Steezysix »

Easiest if you can provide a bit more info - what axle size does your bike have and do you want on or off road lighting?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Choices ...

SP or similar ... my experience isn't very good but others have run them for 1000's of miles without problem. Seem to be something of a lottery.

SON ... seem very good qualty but around twice the price of an SP.

Shimano ... this is what I now use. Not as pretty or as light as the others but much cheaper and so far 100% reliable.

All 3 produce 3w which is ideally what you need if you want to charge (not just run lights). You'll also need some type of charge converter / regulator for charging duties. There's loads of options and prices vary massively. A Kemo is probably the cheapest option and can be had for less than £30.

For off-road lights, it tends to be a Revo or something from K-Lite. If it's a road light, there's much more choice. I've got a Supanova Pro2 which seems good.

Once you start down the dynamo route, it soon becomes quite a minefield ... sadly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Any updates on the Velogical bottle dynamo?
robbie

Post by robbie »

Sorry should have said 700cc for road and gravel riding. 12mm thro axle.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

12mm axle rules out Shimano, for now at least. You can either go SP (cheaper, potentially unreliable) or Schmidt (expensive but built to last). For road lighting, B&M lights are good and not super expensive, I have an IQ-X which very powerful, and they also make some that can provide USB power output for charging.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

SON and B&M Lumix U. Buy once, buy right!!

They will last for years and the light is good enough for off road (non DH) and has a usb port.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any updates on the Velogical bottle dynamo?
Sorry, keep meaning to write something up but the light nights aren't helping picture opportunities. :wink:

If you're only looking to run lights and maybe do so across a couple of different bikes, then it'd be a decent option. There's virually zero drag but you can disengage it in 2 seconds if you like. It's very light and reasonably easy to fit (be neater / easier if you opted to fit it to the front wheel) and is a very high quality unit.

You can get a little 'humming' at certain speeds - careful alignment reduces it but I've yet to eliminate it completely. Ideally your rim needs to be fairly straight with minimal run-out and any stickers will need to be removed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
robbie

Post by robbie »

I was looking at the hunt dynamo wheelset. I have a pair of their wheels and think they are alright. Any reviews on the dyno ones?
Cheers