White Laggan Bothy, Borders - Any Info?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

White Laggan Bothy, Borders - Any Info?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Off up to the Broders with the family over Easter. Closest bothy looks to be White Laggan:

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy ... othy_id=83

Anyone been, any useful info?

Thinking of riding from around Clatteringshaws. Head west either on the minor road / track west of the Loch or use the Southern Upland Way to the north. Eventually joins the SUL anyway to Black Laggan and then short path to White Laggan. Probably stay the night, wander about and then ride back the way we came.

I can survive pretty much anywhere if it all goes a bit wrong for the night (famous last words ;) ) but would like to avoid putting the boy (7) off things for life with an horrendous trip. So, anything useful known about that bit of the world by the Tramp Collective?

Ta 8-)

Open to other suggestions if someone already knows the area. Going to be based in Kippford.
Taylor

Re: White Laggan Bothy, Borders - Any Info?

Post by Taylor »

It's known to have a few parties there.
I'd avoid taking the lad there.
nobeerinthefridge

Post by nobeerinthefridge »

Barge pole, especially at a holiday like Easter. The problem with white Laggan is that the nitwits from dalmellington can reach it by motorbike.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

We bike packed the SUW last summer from Portpatrick to Galashiels - we popped into white laggan to get out of the rain and to have a brew - there were 4 guys in the main room off their tits on something, they said they were there fishing but didnt appear to have any fishing gear with them. They had a nice fire going but there was a really weird atmosphere so we just had our brew and dried out in the other room - the experience kind of put me off staying in bothies.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Arrgh - id edited the last post with alot more info on the area but the forum decided I was no longer allowed to post when i tried to submit :evil: really annoying when you spent ages typing it out on a phone
nobeerinthefridge

Rudedog, did you do a write up for that trip? That's a ride I've often thought about, I've ridden a lot up in the
Lowthers, and would love to try and add in the SUW in both directions.

Greg.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cheers for the info folks.

Rudedog - don't let it put you off bothies, I have honestly had some vaguely exciting nights in them, from Dulyn to the Cairngorms.

I just want to give the lad a good first trip. Reckon I might just bank on some decent weather and take the hammocks, just means more gear for me to lug :roll:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Do you want a lend of my BoB trailer?
nobeerinthefridge

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3165

Not too far away? Looks a better bet if you're after a bothy.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

That looks interesting. Is it an MBA one? You used it?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

flatfishy wrote:Do you want a lend of my BoB trailer?
Whilst I appreciate the offer I am reluctant to say yes as the likelihood of massive overpacking increases. Still, it might be a good idea ....

Will let you know. Ta 8-)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Let me know by friday lunch time then and I'll fetch it up.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

nobeerinthefridge wrote:Rudedog, did you do a write up for that trip? That's a ride I've often thought about, I've ridden a lot up in the
Lowthers, and would love to try and add in the SUW in both directions.

Greg.
Yeah - I did a bit of a write up from Portpatrick to St Johns - ill see if I can find it.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Here it is:

Portpatrick to Stranraer

Theres some steps up from portpatrick to the cliff top - they aren't too steep so you could push the bike up with out too much trouble. After that the route follows the cliffs and drops down in to a couple of bays where you'll need to carry you're bike - its a lovely stretch of the route in terms of scenery but hard going where you need to carry the bike. If you've got a lot of gear and can't shoulder your bike, you should miss this bit out and go the road way out of Portpatrick, taking a left just outside the village and you'll pick up the SUW at the turning for Killantringan lighthouse. After that its all rideable (mostly farm road) to Stranraer with a nice but fairly short section of singletrack roughly halfway.

Stranraer to New Luce
Practically all rideable - Just outside Castle Kennedy village and Gardens, you pick up the road to New Luce here, as you start the climb, there's a short section of SUW which goes off to the right, its very steep and not much fun as it takes you through a very muddy cattle field so I'd advise you miss it out (if traveling with gear) as it joins back to the road a little bit further up. At the top of the hill, the route heads off toward Glenwhan moor where there's a nice section of singletrack nearly all the way to the luce valley, then a fairly steep drop down to the railway line and river - after that, you need to push for a bit until you clear the trees and can cycle over the river and push for another little bit up a very short but steep hill back to the road. You can take a short detour into the Village of New Luce here, there's a (very) small shop and a pub with a beer garden next to the river which made a nice stop for us.

New Luce to Bargrennan

Theres a bit of a climb out of New Luce on farm track, the route takes you past some ancient caves/burial Cairns and then links on to road for a short bit before going totally off road through fields/bogs just north of Balmurrie farm. This section was a PITA - theres no trail at this point, but there are wooden waymarkers (sometimes hard to spot) every few hundred meters to keep you on course. You'll need to push your bike as its almost totaly unrideable for just over a mile and goes through a peatbog which you'll get wet feet from without appropriate footwear. After you come through the fields the trail is visible again and cuts through a wooded section for a few miles - its hard going again here as the trail is boggy and muddy but soon comes back on to forrest road and then a wee section of nice singletrack as you get closer to Laganngarn where the Beehive bothy is situated. Its a nice wooded bothy but no fireplace. The single track continues on past some interesting standing stones and picks up forest fire road soon after. Your not on the fire road for long before the SUW goes off up a fairly steep hill before dropping you back down on to fire road. From here on its plain sailing all the way to Bargrennan mosty farm/back roads - theres a couple of short sections which take you off the road as you get closer to Bargrennan but they aren't great for riding and easy to skip. Theres a pub at Bargrennan which does decent food, and a campsite with shop. Theres loads of good spots in the woods here though if you prefer wild camping - we found a cracking spot on the shore of Loch Trool, not far from the old Caldons campsite which is now abandoned.

Bargrennan to Dalry

They changed the trail out of Bargrennan to Loch Trool a few years back which you might need to bear in mind if your using an old map. We missed this bit out as we'd been in the pub for a couple and were camping at Loch Trool so just headed up the fire road - it looked like half decent forest single track from what we saw though. The forest road way takes you passed the 7 Stanes trail centre cafe which serves sandwiches and has an outside tap for refilling water (if you camp round here like we did, you could also do a quick blast of the blue route).Once you get to Loch Trool, if you have a lot of gear, I'd advise sticking to the forest road north of the loch which leads to the car park at the base of Bruces monument . We didn't do this and followed the SUW round the south side of the Loch and it was really tough going for the lads laden with gear. Lots of really steep sections, steps etc but mostly rideable and good fun without the gear - some good gnarly/technical descents. You also pass the battleground where Robet the Bruce defeated an English force ten times his size. The spot is marked with an information board which was quite interesting to read about. Once you clear Loch Trool, theres a steep climb on forest road with some great views of the Galloway hills at the top. The forest road continues on for a good while passed Loch Dee and the Whitelaggan bothy (stone building with fireplace) and on to Clatteringshaws Loch. Just north of the Loch, the SUW leaves the fire road and goes over a few hills, we missed this section as we were running short on time and just stuck to the forest road and then back road over a hill and down to the Ken valley and St Johns Town of Dalry where we had a couple more pints and pub tea before being collected.

We did St Johns Town Dalry to Galashiels at a later date but made up our own route as we wanted to take in the trails at Drumlanrig and Ae forest - it meant missing out the wanlockhead section but we rejoined the SUW just south of Moffat after coming up the singletrack and fireroads of Ae forest.
nobeerinthefridge

Cheeky monkey, no, I haven't used it, but it seems wee thought of over on the MBA forum.

Rude dog - thanks for that, I'm for riding in the lowthers this weekend, some great riding down there, but I don't know what it's like between there and moffat. One way to find out I suppose!.
nobeerinthefridge

'Well' thought of!
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

nobeerinthefridge wrote:Cheeky monkey, no, I haven't used it, but it seems wee thought of over on the MBA forum.

Rude dog - thanks for that, I'm for riding in the lowthers this weekend, some great riding down there, but I don't know what it's like between there and moffat. One way to find out I suppose!.
Trekster from STW forum is your man for that section - he's posted a few pics and descriptions of the sections around Leadhills\Wanlockhead which helped when we planned our route - from what I remember him posting, there was a big hikeabike after the Daer reservoir. That was one of the reasons we missed that section out and went down through the forest of Ae instead.

Like you say though - only one way to find out for sure and it will be good to get some more info for future reference.
nobeerinthefridge

Aye, ridden with John a good few times, he's got an encyclopaedic knowledge of os78!. We're for doing the classic Drumlanrig-mennock-SUW to Wanlockhead-radar station-enterkine pass-Drumlanrig.

Should be decent conditions given the weather over the last week or so.