Powerpack for dynamo set up

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

Powerpack for dynamo set up

Post by Retiredtester »

Can anyone recommend a powerpack/battery for use in a dynamo set up? I've got an SP hub and will be getting an igaro when funds permit. I'd like to have a high capacity battery (10 or 20Ah) as I'll be using it on its own for some shorter trips before I get the igaro cranked up. Would ideally have passthrough charging so that it can charge my phone or Garmin while taking charge from the dynamo.

The a3 (10,000mAh) at £27 on amazon looks like a good bet, but just thought I'd ask if anyone has found anything better /cheaper/higher capacity?

Thanks in advance.
whitestone

Re: Powerpack for dynamo set up

Post by whitestone »

Not altogether convinced about pass-through, you need some quite clever electronics to ensure that the batteries don't have a short life. Read a piece from one of the better battery manufacturers stating that pass-through should only be used for short periods because of this.

I'd have two 10Ah batteries - charge one, use the other to charge devices as necessary. If one fails for any reason you've still got you can use.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Every pass through battery I've had has died in a relatively short time. As mentioned above, a couple of smaller batteries gives you a spare if one gets wet, etc. Also take a dual port charger with you and you'll charge two smaller ones faster at a cafe stop than one large one.

I followed Nick's advice from an earlier thread the other day about batteries in GPS using more power to get from 80 to 100% Vs 60 to 80 (for example) and just charged my wahoo between every other audax control. I managed 38hrs on the wahoo's battery and one "lipstick" powerbank.

I've had success with Aukey batteries and Anker have a good rep. I'm not fussed about waterproofing as they go in a sandwich bag anyway.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

johnnystorm wrote:….you'll charge two smaller ones faster at a cafe stop than one large one.

unless said large battery pack has dual charging input
this pack rocks
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCor ... B01JIWQPMW
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I’m now using a nitecore f2 charger with batteries. It actually will allow pass through as it is also designed for solar panel charging. I’m quite impressed. Buy as many batteries that you need.

I’ve had anker which won’t allow pass through, it will charge but turns off charging to phone. Ravpower is temperamental.

Goal zero works but heavy and expensive and not big capacity for weight.

Also use a sinewave revolution which allows direct charging to my iPhone, more efficient use of power than pass through.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks very much for all the input - the forum delivers, once again! Great advice re the passthrough charging and it's something I'd seen online before. I think 10000mah should be enough for my forthcoming trip, so I'll get an anker (or similar) and then consider getting a 2nd one once I've got the igaro and longer trips beckon.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Adventurer wrote:I’m now using a nitecore f2 charger with batteries. It actually will allow pass through as it is also designed for solar panel charging. I’m quite impressed. Buy as many batteries that you need.

I’ve had anker which won’t allow pass through, it will charge but turns off charging to phone. Ravpower is temperamental.

Also use a sinewave revolution which allows direct charging to my iPhone, more efficient use of power than pass through.
Thanks for that. Looks like the nitecore would work out about 50 quid with two decent batteries so, despite the flexibility, it's a bit out of my price range. Looks like an excellent option for extended trips though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Zundure (A2 I think, the small one) and really like it. I don't consume much power as I don't have a phone and the gps uses AA but it keeps my Touch charged up for pics and Kindle, etc. The fact it will turn itself on / off when a device is plugged in / fully charged is handy as you can keep it in a frame bag or such and just run the lead out with no need to access the battery.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Retiredtester wrote:
Adventurer wrote:I’m now using a nitecore f2 charger with batteries. It actually will allow pass through as it is also designed for solar panel charging. I’m quite impressed. Buy as many batteries that you need.

Thanks for that. Looks like the nitecore would work out about 50 quid with two decent batteries so, despite the flexibility, it's a bit out of my price range. Looks like an excellent option for extended trips though.

Whatever you choose buy two. If you want a total of 10,000 mah then buy two 5,000 mah packs not a single 10,000.

I’ve had power packs stop working all together or one that would not re charge. At least I had a second one I could use.
Power packs seem to be like apple charging cables. They only last so long then die
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Understood!