Anyone got a Mason Bokeh?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Anyone got a Mason Bokeh?

Post by BreninBeener »

I do quite like an adventure bike.

I have a Genesis Datum and have spent quite a lot of time tide Moots Routt 45 Ti bikes. However they were loaners, and i cant afford a Moots.

I do lime the Bokeh and really fancy an aluminium frame to build. Does anyone on here have one, and can they give me some feedback.

thanks

Ian
johnnystorm

Re: Anyone got a Mason Bokeh?

Post by johnnystorm »

Two of my friends have. I'm not at all jealous. :wink:

https://advntr.cc/bokeh/
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Do they have the Al frame, or have they gone full glam with the Ti?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

BreninBeener wrote:Do they have the Al frame, or have they gone full glam with the Ti?
Both alloy, one orange and one grey. I had the perfect excuse of not getting one as the T is £££ and I couldn't match either of them colourwise. Now there's a black version! :lol:
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

i must admit i love the bright orangey colour. i doubt i can afford the Ti (in fact i know i cant) but my recent rides of Ti bikes have made me appreciate the material ( and the designs) and i also keep looming at a Sonder Camino Ti for approx the same money...
Gari

Post by Gari »

Not in the same league, but I have just built a Camino Al frameset up. After a couple of longish rides I am tempted to get the Ti version over the winter possibly, assuming the geo is exactly the same. Fits me perfectly, rides well and is comfy for multiple hours so far, if that helps. I can get 650b/2in tyres in the rear, but not the fork, though I believe the Ti comes with a wider fork.
The Al is remarkable value imo, imagine the Ti would be too.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I've seen the same design frame, in carbon, from one of the Chinese sellers on eBay....frame and fork for around £300 ish!

I'm sorely tempted myself!
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

i think the camino looks fab. The use of qr dropouts seems a little strange in a world of bolt thru, but it looks spectacular value.

I suspect im going to have to sort some test rides....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Pat wrote:I've seen the same design frame, in carbon, from one of the Chinese sellers on eBay....frame and fork for around £300 ish!

I'm sorely tempted myself!
It can't be that similar then? :wink:
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Gari wrote:Not in the same league, but I have just built a Camino Al frameset up. After a couple of longish rides I am tempted to get the Ti version over the winter possibly, assuming the geo is exactly the same. Fits me perfectly, rides well and is comfy for multiple hours so far, if that helps. I can get 650b/2in tyres in the rear, but not the fork, though I believe the Ti comes with a wider fork.
The Al is remarkable value imo, imagine the Ti would be too.

I have both of the Camino versions, titanium and aluminium. I bought medium in both and as far as I’m aware the geometry is very similar if not the same.

I use the aluminium mainly as a general/commute bike which I use for roads and canals. I use the titanium for loaded bikepacking and long distance rides.

A few pictures of both below. I’ll try to answer any questions that any of you might have.

https://instagram.com/p/Bi9Y6k3Bh7t/

https://instagram.com/p/BhzOCz_B5hz/

https://twitter.com/bikepackingbike/sta ... 75617?s=21
Gari

Post by Gari »

Cheers, my main one is if the forks for the Ti frame is wider than the Al? I can get a panaracer hardpack 2in in the rear, but not the front.
QR is indeed an odd choice these days, but I can live with it, and st the price complaining seems a little churlish.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Gari wrote:Cheers, my main one is if the forks for the Ti frame is wider than the Al? I can get a panaracer hardpack 2in in the rear, but not the front.
QR is indeed an odd choice these days, but I can live with it, and st the price complaining seems a little churlish.

Yes, the aluminium Camino forks are a bit narrower. I am able to get continental race kings 2.0 fitted on my Camino titanium with room to spare.
I agree, QR is a strange choice and one which did make me consider not having the Camino, but now even though I would prefer the bolt through I am glad I choose the Camino.

The fork on the titanium is good but I would have liked it to have the 3 bolts in the fork to take cages. But I have tried the gorilla clip which works fine but not as aesthetically pleasing.

One other area I would like to see changes, if they could customise the wheel builds a little more. If you could choose the spoke type would maybe make for a slightly lighter wheel set. However saying that, I’ve had no issues at all with the 650b wheels.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Thanks for the answers. I am ok with bare fork legs as I am not too keen on overloading the front end personally. As I bought a frameset it gets the wheels I build for it:)
Scud

Post by Scud »

I 'ummeed and 'eeerrred for ages between Bokeh and a Reilly Gradient, both down near Brighton for a test ride. i went with the Gradient in the end and really love it.

BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

wow that gradient is lovely too!

can i ask what swayed your decision?
Scud

Post by Scud »

i exchanged emails with Mark Reilly (setting up on his own after being at Enigma for 8 years) and realised that i could get a ti frame with lifetime warranty for £300 more than the Bokeh. Plus as i want to use with frame bags all over it, i'd have to have got the Bokeh invisi-framed i think to protect it, whereas with ti, i can just polish it, the invisiframe would of cost me £120 so not much in it really.

Just seemed really good value for ti frame with that warranty.

I had a Fargo for bikepacking and Specialized Roubaix as road bike, they went to fund this and it works really well both with off road and road tyres.

3 bottle cage mounts with one under downtube and 12mm thru-axles both ends the same as the Bokeh too.

Been really impressed with the Hope RX4 callipers mated with Shimano levers

BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Hi Scud, it looks fantastic. My gf has a Moots and after a year of having bags on it has a lovely patina of use, but still looks fabulous.

My carbon and Alu bikes i use tape on and it seems like it always looks shabby and is a constant battle to keep looking decent.

After your input i have been reading that the v2 will take 47mm tyres in 700c. My Datum struggles with 36, and thats the bike it would replace.

Im loving the dropouts on it, and the Hope calipers look fabulous. I think i shall have to look at some geometry charts...

Is the BB threaded? or a PF type?
Scud

Post by Scud »

BB is threaded, i wouldn't have BB30 on anything now, been a pain on other bikes.

I have ridden Bokeh as well and it is a great bike too, i don't think you'd be disappointed, but thought i'd chuck another option in there.

Clearance is good, i have 700x 40c Nanos on there and still a lot of space to go.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I also have an early steel Reilly (frame 004) but it is an audax / tourer bike. Really nice, this was before the Gradient was available.

I recall at the time he would build anything except BB30 frames because 'you will regret it '
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

The gradient sounds just what im looking for. Sadly i live in Snowdonia so the S coast is a long way away.....i will check geometry charts...
robbie

Post by robbie »

Albanach are now selling Titanium frames. They are doing road, cross and their version of an adventure frame. I tried to buy one last year but they weren't available to the public at that time so ended up buying a tripster.
Well worth a look and they will be happy to do some changes to the frame.
http://www.albannach.cc