Seat stay lights which one is the must buy option

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

postierich

Seat stay lights which one is the must buy option

Post by postierich »

Fed up of my seat pack one which is off and on all the time need one thats fit and forget and weather proof so whats the must buy option

Ta rich
sean_iow

Re: Seat stay lights which one is the must buy option

Post by sean_iow »

I'm lucky that on my current bike I can mount a light on the top of the seat tube just under the seat clamp and it's still visible with the seat-pack in place, I use an Exposure TraceR.

On my old bike I had one of these

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/p ... rear-light

I just replaced the standard band that it's on with a P clip to fix it to the seat stay. It was actually a good light, much better than the price would indicate. I had quite upright stays on that bike so I could get the light horizontal. On my wife's bike her stays were at a shallower angle so the light hit the stay before it was horizontal but was still visible and didn't seem to dazzle when riding behind her.

Alpkit show their rear light on the seat stay, I've not tried one but I've never had an issue with their other lights so would expect it to be fine. The section of stay it's shown on is quite upright though so depends on your frame as to how visible it would be from behind.

I also still put one of those little clip on lights that Alpkit sell (blip) on the seat-pack strap as a backup as I'm paranoid about being seen on the road at night.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Using 2 rear lights, both seat stay mounted

proper muddy bike has a PDW Radbot 1000 - I've put a loop of inner tube around it, the switch is on the front. This light has been through hell and has kept working. This one is 2xAAA

other bike has an aldi COB rear light, USB rechargable. So far so good, doesn't have as much runtime though. But it does have a bracket to bring the light up to being more vertical (unlike something like the alpkit tau)

I don't think the other rear lights I have on other bikes would last as well as those two
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Second vote for an Exposure TraceR

Mine's a couple of years old, does near 24hrs on flashing low mode (which is still bright), 6hrs on anti-social mode, bracket is good and secure and the unit seems well waterproofed (although a mate did manage to destroy his by dropping it in a cup of tea :roll: ).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've being using Blackburn 'local' rear lights for a couple of years and I'm impressed. I've yet to destroy one, they're nice and bright with a good battery life and a decent clip so they don't fall off.
May the bridges you burn light your way
DiscoStu

Post by DiscoStu »

I bought one of these as a stop gap measure in December. It's lasted all winter, been covered in mud, jet washed and generally left under a crust of dirt on the seat stay in the garage between rides.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-li ... ight-black

Still going strong on the original batteries and was accidently left on overnight once. Not bad for less than a tenner,
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

+1 on the Femto for runtime/abuse. It's what I use as well.
But I've seen better...can't remember if it was Sweary Dave or Chicken Legs who was running it though. Looked the biz. Maybe one of 'em would care to chime in.

Greetz

S.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've one of these https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-recharg ... n-EV244786 has a belt clip on the back of the unit so you can clip it to straps, etc. then in the clip part there's also the mount to twist onto a strap that can go on tubing. Slightly awkward to explain but it makes sense when you see it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry