Cairngorms loop bothies

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chambo82

Cairngorms loop bothies

Post by chambo82 »

Morning all

Myself and mate are going back to Scotland in couple of weeks to ride the outer loop of the Cairngorms loop single speed , we are planning on a steady 3 days ideally so trying to plan in stops for camping / bothies , anyone got any ideas of recommended spots around the outer loop please ? Also food / village stops ?

Cheers in advance

Mark
whitestone

Re: Cairngorms loop bothies

Post by whitestone »

Assuming you are starting at Blair Atholl. There's the bothy in Inshriach Forest. Technically Ryvoan bothy is on the inner loop but possible to cut in to it. I think that's it for official bothies. I'd be tempted to follow the inner route as far as Ryvoan then follow the track on from the bothy to get to the outer loop in Abernethy Forest - the outer loop from Feshie Bridge to Abernethy Forest is all road so not very interesting.

Food: Aviemore/Glen More, Tomintoul, Braemar
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chew

Post by Chew »

whitestone wrote:Technically Ryvoan bothy is on the inner loop but possible to cut in to it. I think that's it for official bothies
If you're only doing the outer loop, then consider jumping on the inner loop at Feshie Bridge to Glenmore Lodge, heading past Ryvoan and then jump back on the outer loop at Aberneathy Forest

Cuts out a lot of road and a lot more scenic
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Splendid thanks very much chaps that's very helpful , will plan to hit those points , fingers crossed for the weather now !
Cheers
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I've heard that if you use Ryvoan the nearest water source isn't safe due to the popularity of the bothy and people not going far enough away for toilet purposes. I used this stream that crosses the path on the way in, NJ004112.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

What Chew said, then there's also Drakes Bothy on the inner loop from Feshie Bridge..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!