SMD Deschutes Solo

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RichinNW

SMD Deschutes Solo

Post by RichinNW »

In playing around with the TLS principle, and looking for a shelter system that looks able to handle wild camping in the uk, I quite like what the SMD Deschute solo offers. Reviews talk about being able to peg it out low on the back windward side, but this brings the front porch end up higher. Has anyone had experience of using a shorter pole, or angling the pole to drop the shelter closer to the ground? I’ve had wind vear 180 degrees once, turning my tarp into a wind sock and ripping pegs out. I guess I’m getting soft, but a good nights sleep is more apppealing than an early dawn wrestle with a shelter possessed by the gods of gwynt!

Any other experience of bomb proof shelters that can be opened up for tarp living on calmer days ? :smile:
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: SMD Deschutes Solo

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sounds like you want a Trail Star. Loads of space even when pitched low, loads more space when pitched high / open and seemingly windproof.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I have a wild oasis (older / smaller) I've angled the pole in badish weather and pinned it all down low. It was ok and I have the super flexy SMD pole. Makes it a little smallish but then the Deschutes is bigger. With the door open it still feels a bit like being in a tent with the door open though not really 'tarp living'...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Please remember - angling any pole will put more stress on it, which obviously makes it less capable in windy conditions. :geek:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Please remember - angling any pole will put more stress on it, which obviously makes it less capable in windy conditions. :geek:
Yeah I am waiting for it to kill me to death in the night then I'll get a pole-a-bear instead :wink:
RichinNW

Post by RichinNW »

Thanks chaps. Some good options there.
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Used my deschutes a few times now and generally all good. You can alter the angle to pin the rear down to the ground and still keep the pole vertical. A shorter pole would put the whole thing closer to the ground. My first use was in the IOM last year and as expected it got a thorough weather test - 3 hours of high winds followed by 7 hours of high winds and horizontal rain. Kept it all out except for a drip from the hanging loop at the top which I hadn't fully sealed with seam sealer.

Since used it in some very cold / wet weather and its been good. Much draftier than my Helium 100 obviously but otherwise pretty weather proof all round.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Do you still find you need to use a bivvy bag with a shaped tarp like this? I have been fortunate that all my bivvying to date has been in the dry. Used my 3X3 tarp in the winter event in an enclosed setup and (apart from the muddy ground which the permavent sorted out) didn't seem like there was much risk of getting wet if it rained.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you still find you need to use a bivvy bag with a shaped tarp like this?
No, not really. They provide full coverage and will keep all the weather out. I tend to use a very light bivvy bag inside / under but you'd quite easily get away with just something to lie on.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
No, not really. They provide full coverage and will keep all the weather out. I tend to use a very light bivvy bag inside / under but you'd quite easily get away with just something to lie on.
Same here. I've not yet used the Deschutes for bike trips, but when hiking I just take a groundsheet. Has always been grest sofar
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Alpinum wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Same here. I've not yet used the Deschutes for bike trips, but when hiking I just take a groundsheet. Has always been grest sofar
That's gunna help save some weight then. Just got a cumulus 150 for the summer. Losing the bivvy as well as the sleeping bag will save me about 1.5kg. Not bad.