Frame building with Cjell

Post by voodoo_simon »

As per title
http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/made-in-taiwan/

Great article on frame building in Taiwan
wriggles

Re: Frame building with Cjell

Post by wriggles »

Its a great article, but sadly let down by the click bait title. I may have had a winge at Bikepacking.com about this yesterday.

Mone bikes are stunning, I think. Innovative and pretty
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I met him last year, he was living at Brush Mountain. Kirsten would take the piss when he introduced himself as Cjell, his name's Dave or Gary or something along those lines. His singlespeed was there and he'd built a bike for Kirsten. The frames do look nice, he was quite proud of the triple plate fork crown.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Where is that puking gnome?

And I know it may not be PC but does anyone else read that frame decal with a "g" ?
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I thought the frame decal said Onion when I first looked :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

:lol:

Might be too obscure for some.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Apropos of nothing, when I was building bikes for a living, I was reliably informed that the big Ti manufacturers in China such as Waltly, http://www.waltlytitanium.com employed exclusively female welders as their manual dexterity and ability to accurately do repetitive tasks was far superior to men.
jameso

Post by jameso »

A good read. A well-rippled braze fillet might be the nicest way to join a frame. From what I've seen of China and Taiwan I'd risk generalising and agree. I prefer working in Taiwan, there's more often a feeling that you're working with people who understand and care about the result. Interestingly, Indonesia has that also - the guys at the factory ride and they're really into what they do. Wherever the factory is, sometimes you recognise you're working with people who GAS about what they do, sometimes not.
big Ti manufacturers in China such as Waltly, http://www.waltlytitanium.com employed exclusively female welders as their manual dexterity and ability to accurately do repetitive tasks was far superior to men.
Not something I've seen much of in welding, generally male but far from exclusively so, but carbon lay-up processes are mostly done by women from the textile industry.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

wriggles wrote:Its a great article, but sadly let down by the click bait title. I may have had a winge at Bikepacking.com about this yesterday.

I enjoyed reading that..... almost disappointed that the title wasn't "Cjell visits a workshop in Taiwan and you WON'T believe what he saw...." :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote:
wriggles wrote:Its a great article, but sadly let down by the click bait title. I may have had a winge at Bikepacking.com about this yesterday.

I enjoyed reading that..... almost disappointed that the title wasn't "Cjell visits a workshop in Taiwan and you WON'T believe what he saw...." :lol:
I’ll go with a more buzzfeed title next time...

Some great pictures above :-bd

Always remember Cjell with his website called billbrysonisapussy :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Not something I've seen much of in welding, generally male but far from exclusively so, but carbon lay-up processes are mostly done by women from the textile industry.
Come to think about it, perhaps my info was not so reliable as it was Brant Richards who told me :wink: he also regaled us with visiting a factory making golf clubs which ended up making carbon bars such as the late lamented OG and the bendy Knucklebar. In the weeks following Taipei bike expo, it was always worth loitering around the office for dibs on the samples that would appear from the far east.