That white stuff out there...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

smartay

Re: That white stuff out there...

Post by smartay »

Woken this morning to snow sculptures and a cornice on paths around house, blustery winds creating eddys in bone dry snow
I love the spring :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, it's pretty rough out there. The river's started to freeze over in places which is something I've never seen before and some of the drifting is quite impressive ... a day to stay in I think. Keep safe and keep warm everyone.

May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's the drifting that's the problem. This is the view from the house. The fields are almost bare but the track is drifted in.

The road down to the village is reasonably clear for a couple of hundred metres then there'll be a metre high snow drift across the road that you can't see because of the wind blown snow.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

We've had freezing rain overnight, creating a 1/4" layer of solid ice on top of 4" of powdery snow, something I've never seen before.

Makes for fun walking conditions as you crack through the top, but I think my plan for a snow ride are scuppered. It also makes snowman building pretty much impossible (to the annoyance of my 5yr old).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

We've had the same thing here, with a layer of ice over the snow. I've driven to work today (Land Rover owner) so I could then give the wife a lift in (works for the NHS but in research) but they are now finishing at 12:00 as only one other made it in :roll:

I would head out for a ride but I think the conditions will only result in multiple falls as it's very slippery now :sad: That may be then end of riding in the snow for me for another year, or based on previous winters, another 5 years :cry:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Aye, it's pretty rough out there. The river's started to freeze over in places which is something I've never seen before
We were saying last night that it's seldom we get the Spey freezing but there are lots of bits where it's doing just that.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Rode into town to get a new headset bearing. Tried not to laugh at the council snow plough/spreader that was stuck and very slowly trying to back up the hill :lol: Thought it best not to take a photo as the operators weren't too happy. It's pretty warm now but the wind is still making things awkward.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Managed to get down to Dunfermline today, actually rode away from the house over 14" of snow - the wind has been so strong the drifts have started to slab up :shock:
Half a mile down from the village the road disappeared. Was post holing up to hips - more a case of swimming rather than walking (and all dragging a bike!)
The road is about 3 feet under the bike....
Got onto the main road and thought I'd cracked it - nope it was drifted in as well. A JCB was busy digging it out..... got into the local depot and was chatting to the guys in Roads opps. Fife council is one of the best resourced in Scotland for winter maintenance but we were seriously struggling. Over the years we've geared up to deal with normal lowland snow events - lots of gritting trucks with ploughs but no snow blowers and no big 4WD loaders. No doubt there will be lots of fall out over this, much hand ringing and cries of anguish from the Councillors.... :roll:

Tescos looked like it had been hit by a plague of locusts but got the essentials (beer, curry) so set up for the weekend. The ride home was easier as more had been cleared and I avoided the worst drifting by taking to the totally scoured fields. Will be bagging a few ski descents on Knockhill tomorrow :cool:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Rode to work today, was great fun, one of only 12 out of an office of 150. Drifts of 2-3 feet across the road this morning, and cars stuck everywhere. Back home over the fields this afternoon for a proper workout. :-bd
Rollodes

Post by Rollodes »

Singular puffins do have eccentric bottom brackets so you can run them single speed. Here's mine in Tuesday's snow. Great fun!
Attachments
IMG_20180227_173020-1152x864_crop_799x799.jpg
IMG_20180227_173020-1152x864_crop_799x799.jpg (452.2 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's all just about melted here now so it will be back to mud and water on the trails again :sad: that does mean I should be able to resist buying a fat bike now so my wallet will be pleased... not that I have the money for a new bike but when has that ever stopped anyone :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
smartay

Post by smartay »

Been out clearing drifts around house, I don't want to get over excited but yes theirs definitely drips, thaw on the way :grin:
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Well, with all this snow out there I have been watching the World Indoor Athletics championship, I think many of the young lady Athletes forgot their kit! When I went to school, if you forgot your PE kit you still had to do it but in your vest and pants! :-bd
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

I do hope David can retrieve his Volvo XC before the local farmer passes again :grin:

restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Finally got out today with studded tyres on the CX, was going quite well till I passed the broken down snow blower then it was knee deep wading and bike carrying.

Image28870228_10216092216997966_8046715930675087410_n by Shawn McFarlane, on Flickr

Image28575586_10216092217877988_7157084275643039239_n by Shawn McFarlane, on Flickr
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

We've had a fab few days, soooooo out of character for East Anglia! :lol: Tried to make the most of it and the moonlander, I managed to go shopping, tow a sledge, get in a bit of a beach ride (crazy waves!), go on a night ride and recklessly ignore "road closed" signs. :-bd
Attachments
pixlr_20180304204746545.jpg
pixlr_20180304204746545.jpg (102.29 KiB) Viewed 2916 times