Shimano 1x chain length

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Shimano 1x chain length

Post by whitestone »

For a Shimano 1×11 drivetrain is it the usual chainring to largest cog + one full link? The Park Tools page about setting up a drivetrain mentions that SRAM 1x needs two extra links. This is on a FS (Salsa Spearfish) with a KMC chain.

It’s the usual measure twice (or three times), cut once.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Re: Shimano 1x chain length

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve got sram on one bike and Shimano on the other. I go with that method for both.

Just bear in mind chain growth with a rear sus set up.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cheers Ian, I've always gone with the indicated method but I've only done it on hardtails or rigid bikes so wasn't sure regarding full suss. I've since found this video - https://youtu.be/D8nk50i8J6k from Park's website where they use the large + large + 1" on a Spearfish so happy to go with that. :grin:

Just got the steerer to cut down and put in the star nut and top cap and shorten the brake hoses now. I'll let my friendly mechanic sort the latter out as he's got the kit.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

The other option is to fully compress the suspension then put the chain on the smallest cog combination. Shorten chain so as it clears the derailleur :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

BigdummySteve wrote:The other option is to fully compress the suspension then put the chain on the smallest cog combination. Shorten chain so as it clears the derailleur :-bd

Largest?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

No different way of doing it, on my Fargo you can alter the effective chainstay length. If you set the chain length with the longest wheel base then moved it forward the derailleur would fold up and the chain would rub on the top jockey wheel.
What your doing is setting the chain length at the longest length which your mech will cope with, you might be able to shorten this depending on cassette range but won’t be able to go any longer,
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark