Re: Tarps

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

True, but still quite flexible
Ah, I see it has mid-panel tie-outs ... in that case, I'll shut up. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I'm quite happy with my DD SuperLight (small), it's marginally bigger the the alpkit version, fractionally lighter and cheaper. It may miss a couple of tie outs but with three along the long mid line it gives me enough flexibility for what I need, though others might disagree.
For poorer weather (for me that meant full exposure to wind or the potential for torrential thunderstorms) I got the Ali express Trailstar, a bit big for one, but comfy when holed up in a thunderstorm. I have also used it for a couple of nights on a campsite as it gives a bit more privacy and a place for the bike (no lock). On winter nights it feels a wee bit more snug (that is tent like) than the DD though that's just me. It's not that difficult to get the pitching right and I like the variety possible.

For the bivvy bag I'm very happy with the TiGoat Kestrel. I' be survived some serious mosquito attacks in it and apart from one night when the incessant buzzing drove me nuts ( nothing to tie the head part up to) it's done a great job of keeping the bitey things at bay. At 167cm and 75ish kg I find I can manage to fit my Klymit Ozone inside without affecting the loft of the bag (ME Dewline), though the Ozone is only about 4 cm thick.

Not relevant to bikepacking the Trailstar is brilliant for sea kayaking :wink:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

middleagedmadness wrote:Please people ,stop confusing me I am but a simple chimp
Cuben Fibre Tarp mmmmmmmm light weight mmmmmmmmmmm packs small mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :lol:
http://www.trekkertent.com/home/18-tarps

PeterC

Have you seen this?
https://gearjunkie.com/kokopelli-rogue- ... 4-22883741
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Mariner wrote:
middleagedmadness wrote:Please people ,stop confusing me I am but a simple chimp
Cuben Fibre Tarp mmmmmmmm light weight mmmmmmmmmmm packs small mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :lol:
http://www.trekkertent.com/home/18-tarp

Don't think I will get on with cuben fibre my wife has told me so :roll:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm a long, wide load and like a bit of head room, so I can change under shelter if I need to and sit up to cook.

Ive used all sorts of tarps over the years but the one I've stuck with is the DD Hammocks Superlight 3x3. Its lighter than the Alpkit R7, slightly bigger, but doesn't have the side tie outs, which I do miss from time to time. But not much. Its also nice and square so makes a great hammock tarp slung on the diagonal.

On the ground, if its really sub standard out, you can pitch it as a cocoon, making it amazingly weather proof, while its also big enough to do this:

One thing I do notice with it, is that it doesnt shed the water when packing up as well as other tarps Ive had, including the Alpkit R7. Dont really care though.
I'm just going outside ...
middleagedmadness

As much as getting changed under the tarp appeals I think a smaller tarp this year is what's needed until I manage to get a couple of decent pitches bombproof, and if it's that bad weather I've still got old faithful (the Taurus ul) think I can try and shed a bit of weight some time pegs but that will be kept for winter time ,getting the borah ordered tomorrow so hopefully will be here for the WRT will then get the poles and tarp sorted and getting practicing :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Rich3rd wrote: True, but still quite flexible

I've been using DD super light for a couple of years and their standard 3X3 for a couple before that, but it never occurred to me that I could pitch it sideways. Pitched sideways, two of the ridge suspension points become tie-outs, as in the above photo.

Brilliant.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Re 'not enough tie out points', I've used these with considerable success. You could completely cover your tarp with them, enabling an infinite number of pitch configurations :smile:. Added four to a DD 3 x 2.9 and it made a world of difference.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -clip-p447

There's always the MYOG string-round-a-pebble tie-out ploy too of course.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Slightly OT, whats the Bora bivvy users experience of condensation, mine got quite damp inside last friday (under a deschutes tarp) - it was -1 and I was a bit too warm so pumping out more water vapour than normal so I guess I was pushing my luck....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've always experienced a little condensation (more than some but less than others) but some off the top material Borah use breathes better than others, so how much condensation may depend on material choice.
middleagedmadness

Before I press the order button what material is everyone using for their borah bag the argon 90 or the 67 ,please don't say the cuben as wifey has said no
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I forget which is more breathable but (a) I think it says on the webste (b) I'd go for the most breathable even if there's a weight penalty.
middleagedmadness

Website says the 90 is slightly more water repellent than the 67 so my thinking that makes the 67 more breathable? Or is that just my Irish logic
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Website says the 90 is slightly more water repellent than the 67 so my thinking that makes the 67 more breathable? Or is that just my Irish logic
You are correct in your logic :-bd
middleagedmadness

A 67 has now been ordered :grin: