Bivvy a Month 2017.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Bivvy a Month 2017.

Post by whitestone »

When I wrote my post of 14:27 I was trying to think of a "male" analogy to the unease you describe. The closest I can come up with is: going into a pub in a rough part of town. There's that frisson of "someone here wants to hurt me" because ..., well just because they are like that.

Stu: But even the role models started somewhere then realised that, actually, they were quite good at whatever and had the drive to improve themselves. They only got noticed when they had improved to the point that they were newsworthy. Maybe something along the lines of this piece - http://fatbiking.eu/?p=8483
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Doesn't that already exist north of the border. Their frocks have a nice little checked pattern on them :grin:
Careful.

Stu: But even the role models started somewhere then realised that, actually, they were quite good at whatever and had the drive to improve themselves. They only got noticed when they had improved to the point that they were newsworthy. Maybe something along the lines of this piece - http://fatbiking.eu/?p=8483
True Bob. However, I honestly believe that most of the women (present company included) who frequent this place would prove more of an inspiration to the average woman int' street ... BTW, that comment is meant with the upmost respect.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Borderer wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:
Borderer wrote:Women don't always want to voice fear of assault btw - it can be seen to make them even more vulnerable. Just because they are not saying it doesn't mean they aren't thinking it! I know I carry out a mental risk assessment every single time we wild camp and also when we stay in bothies for example too. That's just how it is. I do agree it isn't the only issue though.
I'm not trying to suggest there isn't a problem, but don't we all do that?
Of course. But attempting to equate men's and women's experiences in this regard really does women a grave disservice. Men don't know what it is like to grow up female. Conversations like this one and '#me too' goes some way to address that but you can't possibly understand it fully, no more than I can understand what it is like to grow up black or asian for example. As '#me too' has shown, women have to be on their guard constantly to try to make sure they don't find themselves in vulnerable situations. It goes on at a subconscious level most of the time. I really don't think that is the same with men. I just don't think that is going through a man's head when he finds himself alone in a room with another man for example.
I can't speak for every man but I certainly consider who I might be sharing a bothy with, or where I might camp/bivvy or even what areas I pass through, especially if I'm in possession of couple of grands worth of bike and equipment. Young men (not me then :grin: ) are much more likely to be the victims of assault than any other section of society.

Regarding the role model thing. You're right that it's mostly young, single women. Quite different from the old krusty men that seem to feature on here. Maybe that's one of the barriers we need to break down - the idea that mums can't go out and have fun just as much as dads can.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I'm sorry, but fear of getting your bike nicked really doesn't come anywhere close to fear of being raped. As emotional trauma goes they are on a completely different scale.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I wasn't suggesting it was. I was more thinking of the level of violence that might accompany any attempt.

Someone making off with my bike in the middle of the night would be bad enough. Being stabbed and left to die on an urban cycleway, not so much.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I'm sorry my friend, but you just don't get it.
Most women are physically weaker than men - that's just what testosterone does. Thus most women are more at risk of all these sort of nasty things than men are as it involves physical overpowering. Women know this and the fear of it can cause some to avoid potential risky situations. What we are talking about here is why many women don't want to go out in the wilds, particularly alone. Your experiences are not valid here. The fact that you don't get this is part of the problem women face. It's not about men and their experiences. It is about women.
Chew

Post by Chew »

[Mod Voice]
While this may be a valid point to discuss, can we keep things related to the topic of BAM.
Ta muchly
[/Mod Voice]
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chew wrote:[Mod Voice]
While this may be a valid point to discuss, can we keep things related to the topic of BAM.
Ta muchly
[/Mod Voice]
Good point.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Go on then - move it! Chop these non BAM posts out and put them in a separate thread. I think the subject matter deserves it. Otherwise in a couple of days it will disappear beneath the waves of BAM and be lost forever, which would be a shame.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

RIP

Post by RIP »

This is OT as well, but what the hell I'm feeling rebellious: what tartan is that Stu? That's a marvellous photo on so many levels. I mean, it's not everyone who gets invited to a Palace garden party is it? "Services To Bikepacking"?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This is OT as well, but what the hell I'm feeling rebellious: what tartan is that Stu? That's a marvellous photo on so many levels. I mean, it's not everyone who gets invited to a Palace garden party is it? "Services To Bikepacking"?
Sadly, my over-expressive face would appear to indicate that someone is about to get 'chinned' with a splendid Laura Ashley teapot ... quite soon :wink:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I see that fatbiking.eu have launched their own 'Bivvy a month' in accordance with the guidelines set out here. If completing BaM on a normal bike isn't enough for you, you can now do it with the hindrance of a fat bike :wink:
Have they (we)?

I'm not head honcho any more but I've still got my toe in the water and have heard nowt about this one???

You got any details Stu?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Or does Stu mean the UK Fat Bikes forum? There's a BAM thread on there.
gairym

Post by gairym »

whitestone wrote:Or does Stu mean the UK Fat Bikes forum? There's a BAM thread on there.
Maybe that's it then, I'll go take a look (as my riding is going to be on the fatter end of the spectrum for the foreseeable.....).

Was planning an overnighter in the valley after the weekend but the bloody weather's gone and spoilt things!

167cm of snow due apparently!!! :shock:

Last edited by gairym on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Last one for this year. 12/12 Llandegla forest
On the way there:-
All that virgin snow, I just had to make a snow angel. Pity the camera couldn't work out where to focus...

Bedroom set up..

While cooking my dinner I noticed a crack in the tin sheeting of the roof, slap bang above where my head would be in the hammock. I'd been congratulating myself for not needing to set the tarp up, but with the temperature rising, I didn't want to leave it to chance that the roof wouldn't leak. A good call - it leaked.

Expecting it to be cold, I went to bed in two pairs of merino long-johns (Aldi), Merino ski vest (Aldi),a down gilet (Aldi), a down hoodie and two pairs of socks with a (Lidl) foot-warmer in between. In the night I had to start stripping off layers because I was too hot.

The same in daylight...
The view from in bed..

Riding back..

And that should have been that, except...
I rode up to the visitor centre for a bacon bap before riding home. At home, I found that my GPS was missing from the handlebar mount. Bugger!! Had someone pinched it while I was in the cafe? Or had I lost it somewhere? A phone call to the visitor centre confirmed that no-one had handed it in so there was nothing left but to go back and look for it. You can't just walk away from the £160 or so that it would cost to replace. I'd fallen off a couple of times between leaving camp and getting to the visitor centre, so there was a good chance it could have come off there.
Back in the car then, to back-track and check at the several impromptue "snow angels". It wasn't too far - max three miles to my camp - so armed with my wellies, Tilley hat and stout stick, I set forth. Two miles in, at the site of my first tumble (read doing a Hector the giraffe and rolling down the bank) there she was...

So all in all, a good end to a third BAM year - a ride out in the snow, a good test of sleeping gear and a bracing walk in the forest. Roll on 2018, although next year I mean to do more rides with a bivvy rather than the Dash-'n-Crash bivvies that most of mine have been.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

You need one of these.
ImageP1140449 (800x600) by michaelandamanda, on Flickr

It came with my camera a thin nylon(?) thing that I couldn't see a use for until my gps fell off.
Bit of a faff getting the loop end into the gps but works a treat if you use a hitch(?) to secure it to the gps mount.
Should be able to get one in a camera shop.
Heart still skips a beat when I look down and gps is not there but it is just hanging down below the bars.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I just use a bit of elastic cord that came with a quilt. I made a loop about 15cm long through the loop on the back of the unit then just Lark's Foot it around the stem or handlebars before clipping the unit to the mount.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Sorry ... 'twas fatbike.com

https://fat-bike.com/2017/12/bivvy-a-month-challenge/

*Raises head above parapet*
It was my doing. After getting 'permission' I'm hoping this will inspire/encourage more people to do what we love/hate doing around the globe and a little website name drop got in there too :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Mariner wrote:You need one of these.
ImageP1140449 (800x600) by michaelandamanda, on Flickr
Thanks, but I have one and it was on, but looped around the holder. When the bike flipped over and the holder came off, so did the GPS.
summittoppler wrote:

It was my doing. After getting 'permission' I'm hoping this will inspire/encourage more people to do what we love/hate doing around the globe and a little website name drop got in there too :-bd
I've been thinking of suggesting a BAM on an open canoe forum I look at. Been plucking up the courage to ask, but there, I've done it. So can I?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had a tumble in the snow on Friday and noticed my GPS had been ripped off the bars, still attached to its mount. I searched around in the snow covered heather for a couple of minutes, but couldn't find it.

It was, of course, still attached to the bars via a lanyard....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:I had a tumble in the snow on Friday and noticed my GPS had been ripped off the bars, still attached to its mount. I searched around in the snow covered heather for a couple of minutes, but couldn't find it.

It was, of course, still attached to the bars via a lanyard....
Ah, the pencil behind the ears moment :oops:

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

12/12 for me b-)

A local short notice BAM with Sam in a new spot just 8 miles from home.

A really clear and frosty night was followed buy heavy rain in the morning as it had warmed up through the night.

Pub meeting spot

Following the mild panic and 5 minutes of looking through my bags and pockets for the bike lock key I finally found it
Still in the lock :oops:

A lovely cold and crisp night to star gazing and talking bollox

Morning moisture

Double Lunar Solo's

And Double Lunar Solo's on their own little 360 degree tiny planet.

20 out of 20 with the Winter event next month.
Then I'll be wild campervan'ing a month with the wife in 2018 not BAM
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tonights effort aborted (see the Scottish Winter Bivvy thread).

I'm now feeling a bit of pressure as I already have so much other stuff lined up this month.