Cheap skiing..

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Cheap skiing..

Post by rufus748 »

Is there such a thing???
Love to go again but the cost is somewhat prohibitive.
postierich

Re: Cheap skiing..

Post by postierich »

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I skin up... costs naught.
Unless you have a skitouring kit.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Depends on what you mean by cheap. There are good deals on ski holidays and its possible to get a week in the Alps for the same cost as a beach lying / lager drinking hol in the sun. Go to Italy or Austrian tyrol or check out some of the good deals in Slovakia, Bulgaria and Slovenia. My ski holiday is my one posh hol where I'm not sleeping in a tent so tend to push the boat out a bit. I ususally spend around £600-£800 inc ski carriage and ski pass.

Ebay is full of second hand kit as people tend to upgrade often. If you can get ski mountaineering gear that adds in the option (and joy) of going up as well as down. Currently lots of Ski tourers are ditching the old style randonee bindings for fancy dynafit things. Or go telemark and use cable bindings.

If you live in Scotland touring kit can make for a lot of cheap skiing in places away from the crowds and a day at one of the ski centres is not much more than a round of golf..... If you live in the south there are usually cheap ways to get to the alps by euro tunnel and other trains.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I manage it cheap by camping at Bourg Saint Maurice and using the funicular. We have done a week for less than a day in a catered chalet.

Ski passes are cheaper when bought from the campsite and you can get a special deal for Saturdays using the samdiski website.

If you fancy a van road trip Andy I might be up for it as Helen has a week in Cyprus that I need revenge for
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Alpinum wrote:I skin up... costs naught.
Unless you have a skitouring kit.
FFS... 'unless you DON'T have the kit' obviously. Sorry
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

i just go ski touring (telemark) in scotland (been 3 days allready this season) gear is expensive but you can oick up second hand kit.... get some skins, touring skis and touring boots and have at it ... obviously as you progress its worth getting avalanche kit and stuff if you are going steep , but ye for nocking about it can be done relitivly cheaply... or even cheaper set ur self up for nordic touring ,, probably "back country" nordic touring , so like xc but with slightly fatter skis that work on more snow conditions, and you can just about telemark them down hills ... i ove nordic touring in the uk as it works o marginal days and round forest roads etc verry nice

glencoe 2 weekends ag no uplift no problem
my new skis here were quite allot but you can pick up second hand for a couple of hundred

nordic topuring at shap :

basic nordic set up on army skis and boots costs less thamn £100 on ebay ... but even a good set up probably less than £500
Last edited by Single Speed George on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Round here they snap the lids off the wheelie bins and go sledging on them. Costs nowt :lol: :-bd
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I know a guy, Paul, who I and other pals go to in Slovakia. http://chaletjasna.co.uk/booking/ I think I've been six times over the years, most recently last season. His operation has grown a lot from the single chalet he started with. The lift area is large France resort sized, and with modern lifts being added to year on year. Cheap accom, cheap lift ticket, cheap booze
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Single Speed George wrote:glencoe 2 weekends ag no uplift no problem
my new skis here were quite allot but you can pick up second hand for a couple of hundred
Well done for grabbing some turns this early on :-bd