Backpacks and bar harnesses

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Backpacks and bar harnesses

Post by benp1 »

Up until about 3 months ago all my bikepacking gear was taken on the bike, with the odd exception of a bumbag for the odd trip, though haven't used one in a while

I used a backpack for a trip in August and it was surprisingly comfortable. My local BAMs are often with a backpack purely for convenience, it's less faff if I'm dashing off

I was in the Peak District this weekend and decided not to use a bar harness to make the front lighter and easier to handle, as I knew that the riding was a bit rocky and technical. For any previous rides that were a bit more technical in nature the heavier front end meant it was slightly harder work. For this ride I used a half framebag and 2 bottles in the frame, a seatpack with my bivvy gear, and an Evoc backpack with all my other kit in (clothes, tools and food mainly). I'd packed pretty light

I was surprised how comfy it was wearing a backpack, and how much more enjoyable it was on the steeper rockier descents (and the technical climbs too). Without the bar harness I felt I could get my weight lower and further behind the front wheel and the front generally felt lighter and easier to manoeuvre (lifting and turning) - the bike felt great (Cotic Solaris) and I'm not a particularly good rider. I cleared a couple of bits I was expecting to go OTB on. The bag set up also made the hike a bike a bits easier. It was genuinely fantastic round there

I'd always been in the school of thought of no pack and all the kit on the bike. For less technical riding all the stuff on the bike completely makes sense, but I wonder if anyone else switches to a backpack for stuff that's a bit more technical/rocky?

All the BBers I have ridden with tend to have an envious combination of fitness and technical ability so I suspect they deal with it better than me!
RIP

Re: Backpacks and bar harnesses

Post by RIP »

Blimey, panniers and now backpacks. What's this place coming to. :wink:. I'll have to dig my Extrawheel out at this rate.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I've switched to a backpack for a couple of reasons, and will probs stick with it.

It's a 12litre deuter jobby with the airmesh back thing.

Reasons are:

1. I've never been 100% happy with my front bar bag, even when I've got it spot on, it's a faff and still affects the front end more than I like, be it simple a bit of weight, some wobbling from the bag or whatevs.

2. It's very quick/convenient, especially for moneys, and just grabbing a that coat or jersey, or hiding it away. It doesn't have to be packed in such a way that all the straps are spot on so it doesn't wobble about.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Having been schooled in the art of oh-sht-fk-sht-fk tech bikepacking in Nepal ealier this year, ie seeing how tough it can be and watching Clayton manage it well with a combo of backpack and light/no bar roll, natural acclimatisation and the technical ability a good DH/MXer has, plus remembering some of the GR5 back when I generally used a backpack for a chunk of my kit, I'd go with a rucsac of sorts for any routes using technical trails. Get the weight off the bars and you can get the front up, manage it over minor drops etc much easier - suprising how just a kilo or 2 lost there makes the difference.

From experience I'd be unlikely use one for anything that invoves a lot of seated saddle time or hot weather. Dunno what I'd do if the ride had all of that plus tech, nice problem to have.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've been thinking along the same lines recently. Mainly for faff-reduction, but handling too. For a long time I avoided a rucksack like the plague, even for short rides.

Not sure how comfortable it'd be for a full day's ride but I might try it.

Just using a Camelback instead of bottles would take a lot of weight off the bike, and allow things to be re-arranged.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Having dabbled with both setups, I woukd summarise the pros & cons of backpacks as:

For:
- Adds considerable volume without too much weight (if you use the right pack) - really important if using a small 29er, a FS bike, dropper post, or any combination of these...
- Easy to manage kit if packed thoughtfully and with adequate compartments
- HAB: a lighter bike is easier to push, and may be easier to shoulder if the pack doesn't get in the way.
- Provides an element of back protection when you fall off.

Against:
- Can't access kit on the move (like a framebag or stem/top-tube bags)
- Sweaty back on warm days - not nice after the sun goes down!
- Back/shoulder comfort may be compromised, if the pack is too heavy / poorly designed. Never had a problem on shorter trips.
- can damage lightweight waterproof jackets, esp the DWR coating.

Undecided:
- Handling improves with the removal of a large bar bag, but a high CoG from a heavy pack may also compromise ride dynamics

Conclusion - other than high summer multi-day rides, a small pack, up to 25 litres / 5kg can provide a convenient alternative to bike bag faffing. On a Small frame, FS 29er, it is almost always required due to the inability to use a seat pack.

A number of Bikepacking legends have had considerable success with backpacks, including Neil Beltchenko, and our own Alpinium rates them in big technical terrain.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

For:

Provides a convenient storage location for any additional food and drink you acquire en route.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I always use a Berhaus 10L backpack, which may not always be at full capacity. Tools, first aid, waterproof jacket and shorts, heavier gloves, emergency foil vest in there + some extra quick reach food.
I commute with a similar weight in all weathers/temps so I don't have a problem with it on my back.
Therefore my normal set up is front bar bag and rear under saddle bag, plus back bag. My overriding reason for this set up is that I like to keep the inside of the hardtail frame triangle free so that I can get my shoulder in there for very tricky river crossings - deep and/or fast flowing - Falls of Avon, Fisherfield! :|
Apart from the fact I like the rucksack, river crossings is the principal reason I don't use main triangle bag.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Do you want the convenience on long sweaty rides of a front bag, yet the convenience of a rucksack for those more technical sections?

Then you need......a front rack with a rucksack strapped to it. :-bd
Karl

Post by Karl »

I managed on the BB200 to reduce my kit to a wildcat saddle bag, 2 stem cells and a top tube bag. Makes the front end really nice and light and.......no backpack required :-bd

Does require a focus on travelling light though :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Karl wrote:I managed on the BB200 to reduce my kit to a wildcat saddle bag, 2 stem cells and a top tube bag. Makes the front end really nice and light and.......no backpack required :-bd

Does require a focus on travelling light though :lol:
Pretty much what I had on last year's BB200 as well, it was definitely minimalist, except I had a small Camelbak just for water. Probably 2 litres of water and maybe 600g of pack.

Basically it's what works for you in any given situation. I've done rides where most of the kit is in a backpack and others where everything is on the bike. The potential problem with any backpack is that you begin to think "I've got room for ..." and you end up with more stuff than you planned.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

For:

Provides a convenient storage location for any additional food and drink you acquire en route.
Overflow space and grab>stash for garage stops was the main reason I've used one in the past. Now I'd rather use a bar pocket and a packable rucsac for road/light trails, but as soon as it's lumpy the pocket becomes a rattly annoyance and too much variable weight on the bars - back to a small cameback or rucsac.
......a front rack with a rucksack strapped to it. :-bd
Agreed .. in the sketch book is a light rack with a convertable rando bag <> rucsac. If I could sew well I'd make one, but as it is it's just one of thouse things to play around with. Was more for road touring but a similar idea would be great for my Jones's truss fork.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Wow, wasn't expecting this response - I was expecting to be berated :grin:

The pack is very comfy, way more than I thought any backpack on a bike would be. I used to have a Camelbak Mule but it just wasn't comfy enough and seemed to bounce around too much. This one is an Evoc FR Enduro Blackline, the hipbelt is much wider and much more secure. I've even used the pack for the odd non-biking activity, I used it to walk up Loughrigg Fell with the kids!

In the summer it should be too hot to use it, but I did 50 miles in August with it on my back and it was surprisingly fine. Definitely a sweatier back than without a pack. Didn't have a sweaty back on the weekend though

I can see me using the backpack option more. In hindsight, I could probably have put my dropper on with the seatpack, I only had just over 1.5kg of kit in there

It also made lifting the bike over the odd fence so much easier!

For best of both one could stick an Alpkit Gourdon in the bar harness? No way I could be bothered with the faff though
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a rucksack that converts into a pair of panniers......
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:There's a rucksack that converts into a pair of panniers......
I misread that as:

"There's a rucksack that converts into a pair of pyjamas" :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Two more pros
Keeps your back warm in cooler times of the year.
Something soft to land on. :oops:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

This will get me kicked from the group ....will get my coat and close the door as I leave.

For the Iceland tour used a front rack and put the bar bag on the top of the rack. Kept the bars free of clutter. Though I was using panniers.

Also use a rucksack, though it tends to only contain delicate items (electronics, camera etc), light stuff I might want quick access to (coat), and sometimes tools. In Iceland also kept my wallet and flight tickets there.

When local I also tend to use the rack; again, keeps the bars clear. (Bike has drop bars)
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Always used a backpack (and a bar harness)...

I’m used to wearing a backpack through climbing in the old days when it was a 2 hour walk to the mountain crag, and definitely when climbing in the alps when it’s part of your body.
(“There’s many old climbers and many bold climbers but not many old bold climbers”... :lol: )

Used an Innov8 18litre for years but a bit back had a problem with the bladder, so I ended up with one of these:

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/hyper-tour-38-p201

Absolutely crazy price (I didn't pay £280 though), but it’s the best and lightest backpack I’ve had, and totally waterproof. It’s also the most comfortable one I’ve had.

Earlier this year as part of a Lakes ride (ride..?) I went up and over Sty Head pass, and put the bar bag in this rucksack- a great advantage to get all the weight off the bars...

Has a pad inside which I’ve left in (otherwise it would be even lighter). I lay my feet and legs on it when sleeping as I only have a three quarter length neoair mattress.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I hate wearing a backpack and find I get backache quickly if I carry much weight for any distance. I do sometimes use one for short overnighters, though. Just for convenience.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

That Montane drybag-with-straps looks very interesting, but not sure how it would cope with wet'n'muddy conditions, as CF has notoriously poor abrasion resistance. Could be a great alpine bag, until you take a tumble and split it open...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Willow16

Post by Willow16 »

I once did a tour with all my gear in a Karrimor Kimm Sac 32 litres, but had to cut it short due to backside problems, which I put down to the extra weight!
I've since been using two rear panniers, 8 litres each, made by Alpkit & mated to Karrimor Pannier mounts - quick release types with "mushrooms" attached to an Old Man Mountain carrier & an Alpkit 8 litre bag attached to the handlebars, plus a backpack. I always use a backpack to keep my expensive equipment in ie gopro, gps wallet etc in when off the bike.
However, this week I've purchased an Alpkit Koala 13 litres Seat pack to replace the panniers. I'll of course still have the handlebar bag & backpack.
My initial thoughts are that it's a lot of faff in filling the seat pack and tensioning the straps correctly to prevent movement, compared to the simplicity of my panniers. Its saved me 2kg in weight though.
You may have noticed that a lot of my gear is Alpkit - this is due to the fact that their factory is only 2 miles down the road from me :lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote:...

I'd always been in the school of thought of no pack and all the kit on the bike. For less technical riding all the stuff on the bike completely makes sense, but I wonder if anyone else switches to a backpack for stuff that's a bit more technical/rocky?
I have always been in the school of rucksacks and very late started to adopt the luggage on the bike approach. Actually only after signing up for my first ever endurance event/trip, HT430 in 2013. All the years before, bikepacking in the Alps (I'm Swiss) I simply wasn't bothered with any other solution. For UK based events/routes like Wales C2C, HT550 and others I go with a little rucksack for electronics, water, sometimes also for some of the food and rain gear.

max. 500 g of gear up front.
ca. 12 L Rucksack, mostly half empty, would get filled to a certain amount with grub of sorts.
If I was going to ride the HT550 again, I'd pack exactly the same. Bike felt very close to not loaded.

In Iceland I rode with a ca. 20 L rucksack and now and then swapped gear/food around, to adjust the weight of the bar bag according to the terrain.

more weight up front

less...

If I try to ride as much technical terrain as possible I only put a few items in the frame bag as the crazy amount of climbing and terrain would render any additional amount of gear on the bike rather stupid.

Setup for a week in the Alps.

No bar bag for me, thanks.

...just as stupid as putting most of your gear in your rucksack when riding stuff like TD.

There's place for both, I decide with every trip how much goes on the bike and/or on the back.

So I see there's a correlation of the amount of time in the saddle and amount of gear sensible to pack onto the bike;
The less I can sit to cover distance (due to steepness, technicality etc.), the less gear I want on my bike.

To those who'd like to try bikepacking on some proper MTB worthy terrain and not used to rucksacks, get used to them before attempting a multi day route. Not just how to use them, but too to riding (HAB, carrying obviously too) with them. For folks not used, even 3 kg may be awkward in the beginning. Make sure your shoulders are up to it. Of course same goes for pushing and carrying.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

RIP wrote:Blimey, panniers and now backpacks. What's this place coming to. :wink:. I'll have to dig my Extrawheel out at this rate.
Endurobropacking man :-bd
:wink: