BB200 2017 - No More Speculation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: BB200 2017 - No More Speculation

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think we need to bear in mind that each year, sections of the route are plotted directly over a RoW as shown on OS mapping. Usually, there's no actual path on the ground that tallys with the RoW. However, there may be some other track that runs nearby. In the interests of keeping landowners / RoW officers happy, I have little choice but to follow the shown RoW.

May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Karl wrote:Stupid us Si! :lol:

See you Saturday :-bd
Yes indeed!

:cool:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

My cunning plan is to just follow the tyre tracks and path through the bracken.
What could go wrong? :|
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think we need to bear in mind that each year, sections of the route are plotted directly over a RoW as shown on OS mapping. Usually, there's no actual path on the ground that tallys with the RoW. However, there may be some other track that runs nearby. In the interests of keeping landowners / RoW officers happy, I have little choice but to follow the shown RoW.
Always assuming that the ROW doesn't go over a 500ft high cliff http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=256691 ... &A=Y&Z=115 :o (I know it's a footpath but the principle holds) In this instance I don't know if it's a deliberate OS mistake or the underlying ROW map is wrong.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Always assuming that the ROW doesn't go over a 500ft high cliff
I try and avoid that where I can Bob and rely on adding this to the route details: Please remember, no gpx file is 100% accurate to the metre so use common sense when following the line on your gps. maybe I give people too much credit? :wink:
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I think we need to bear in mind that each year, sections of the route are plotted directly over a RoW as shown on OS mapping. Usually, there's no actual path on the ground that tallys with the RoW. However, there may be some other track that runs nearby. In the interests of keeping landowners / RoW officers happy, I have little choice but to follow the shown RoW.
I did respect that when re-plotting. I've just tweaked it even closer to the ROW lines over Carnau, although even those can be suspect, the OS isn't perfect.

edit: snipped — a funny too far is no longer funny. Apologies for any offence caused.
Last edited by Wilkyboy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I remember being on Mr Barringtons tail over the first bit of Carnau back in 2013 BB200, it was handy following local knowledge. Then I lost him, and Carnau became a nightmare! :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm more than used to a certain level of post-ride grumble but pre-ride grumbling is something quite new and makes me wonder whether times / attitudes are changing. At this moment, I'd ask anyone riding this years event to make the most of it.

EDIT: and if anyone is stupid enough to ride in the reservoir rather than along the track - you're obviously a f*cking liability and I'll happily refund your entry in the hope you don't attend.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm more than used to a certain level of post-ride grumble but pre-ride grumbling is something quite new and makes me wonder whether times / attitudes are changing. At this moment, I'd ask anyone riding this years event to make the most of it.
Getting lost is half the fun, and if there is a Russian dude on a fatbike, ignore his directions.

Thanks again Stu for organising it.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm more than used to a certain level of post-ride grumble but pre-ride grumbling is something quite new and makes me wonder whether times / attitudes are changing. At this moment, I'd ask anyone riding this years event to make the most of it.
I'd be suggesting that all the moaning princesses just stay at home. Someone may break a nail or something :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

EDIT: and if anyone is stupid enough to ride in the reservoir rather than along the track - you're obviously a f*cking liability and I'll happily refund your entry in the hope you don't attend.
"pre-grumbling" - I've having that for a future article. Genius and a perfect 1st world indicator.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

I'm probably* over-preparing, but when you live in the middle of Fenlandia where people think Castle Hill is big at about 10m — that is absolutely not a joke! — and you only get to ride in Welsh Wales once or twice a year at best, I'm just trying to minimise stopped time by knowing where I'm going — I like riding my bike; I'm not a fan of standing around staring at maps trying to work out where I went wrong. Also, the prep is half the fun for me, others not so much.

On the plus side, having looked at Stuart's route, and ridden some of it on WRT, I'd say it's going to be pretty special, especially with the weather it looks like Stu's booked! :-bd

BB200 virgin — pre-ride nerves — I promise I won't do it again! Sorry, Stuart, sir.

* definitely, I'd say.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Wilkyboy wrote:I'm not a fan of standing around staring at maps trying to work out where I went wrong**
** edit: although I'm actually quite good at that, too
Last edited by Wilkyboy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Stu, this is for you:

You appear to *like* doing things that in my mind and/or experience are akin to herding the proverbial cats. For that I salute you :cool: :-bd :cool:

EDIT - I've just spotted there's a panda in this too - RESULT!! :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd hope you know me well enough by now to know I'm mostly having a little fun at your expense.

Just remember folks... whilst he may have ridden (walked) all of this at some point or another, the route is from memory in quite a few places, not from an actual logged ride. :lol:
burty

Post by burty »

i think there is just some pre ride nerves stu .
personally I don't bother worrying any more ,just turn up and see how it goes :-bd
finish or not it will be a good day out on the bike and at least I am not at work
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I agree with Phil
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yep, what Pete said
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

burty wrote:i think there is just some pre ride nerves stu .
personally I don't bother worrying any more ,just turn up and see how it goes :-bd
finish or not it will be a good day out on the bike and at least I am not at work
Yup, download gps night before turn up and ride. It is what it is :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

:lol: makes me chuckle. Why folk over analyze stuff. As above turn on the gpx sat morn and follow a line....simple. dont worry if you get lost look at it as a positive at least ul find some new trails :lol:

On a serious note!! Yippy iv just seen the weather forcast and it's looking like shorts and tshirt and much suncream will be needed :-bd

A repeat of last yr I really hope so...makes it so much easier going. See u all Fri night/sat
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Richard G wrote:Just remember folks... whilst he may have ridden (walked) all of this at some point or another, the route is from memory in quite a few places, not from an actual logged ride. :lol:
And my GPX tidies up only the roady/tracky bits — the memorable sections do follow Stuart's route almost dot-for-dot :-bd

Ps. the more I think about it, the more I'm erring towards using just Stuart's GPX to get the full BB200 experience, as I feel like I might've missed the point somewhere — the riders who reported the most fun in previous years seem to be those who just got on with it :roll:
Last edited by Wilkyboy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Mike wrote:Yippy iv just seen the weather forcast and it's looking like shorts and tshirt and much suncream will be needed :-bd
What have you done?!? :|
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Stop moaning and just fricken ride it as an adventure! over analysis and spreadsheets and that sort of nonsence just sucks all of the fun out of any kind of sponteneity .
Not knowing what`s around the corner makes for a proper bikepacking ride.
If you don`t want any surprises go around a your local trail centre a couple of dozen times
slarge

Post by slarge »

I started writing a route plan - with distances and key places. Had to give up as it went:

Start. 0km
Llanbrynmair. 215km

then thought about printing off t he elevation profile so I could see what was coming. When I looked at it in memorymap it was obvious that it was a bad idea. There's about 15 hills with a 200m climb, and 50 with a 100m climb. That's mind destroying!!

So, now the plan is to turn up with a gps, a load of food, some lights and enjoy it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of knowing where the hills are, or how long they are. I've removed that screen from my GPS now.