Fully rigid bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Fully rigid bike

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

assuming the bike is well designed for rigid riding, many aren't.
Much truth ... so, what bike, what tyres and and what pressures CB?

Riding something rigid well is generally counter-intuitive and like so many other things in life, appears to work much better once you learn to say, 'f*ck it' and simply let go :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
assuming the bike is well designed for rigid riding, many aren't.
Much truth ... so, what bike, what tyres and and what pressures CB?

Riding something rigid well is generally counter-untuitive and like so many other things in life, appears to work much better once you learn to say, 'f*ck it' and simply let go :wink:
The frame and forks are a bag of sub standard for anything rough, it's an experiment in using a sprung/suspended steel frame by Budnitz designed for gravel. It would be exceptionally good for a long routes of fire trails and 4x4 tracks as it's very efficient, especially climbing. I'd imagine that in the states (where it was made) it would be outstanding on long smooth (dry) SoCal rolling mountain trails. Here in the UK? Not so much. The rest is 1x11 SLX/XT, XT tubeless wheels running 2" WTB Rangers (I like these a lot) at about 30psi for flat stuff and 20psi for rough stuff (anything less and I'm pinging the rims).

My history (briefly) includes a few OnOne Inbreds (carbon forks) both geared and SS (one stolen, one sold), a brief dalliance with a Genesis Tarn (heavy), a Surly Pug Ops (still got it), Genesis Longtitude (stolen), a frankly mental Production Privee Shan (utterly gorgeous but utterly useless going uphill), a much loved and abused Univega Alpina (with anodised purple bits) and Chas Roberts Dogs Bolx forks (rigid), a Kona Lava Dome and a few things so far in the past that time has (probably out of decency) forgotten them. You'll note that these are all steel... I don't think I've ever owned an MTB made from anything else.

Unless it's very sketchy the "point it downhill and hold on until it's over" approach has served me well. But I'm bored of recurring injuries, slow recovery and wrists that feel like they've been kicked by Jet Li. So I'm thinking of breaking a 25year habit, and buying a full bouncer made of... I can't believe I'm typing this, not steel.

But I might get one from steel. Because I fear change,
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The frame and forks are a bag of sub standard for anything rough, it's an experiment in using a sprung/suspended steel frame by Budnitz designed for gravel. It would be exceptionally good for a long routes of fire trails and 4x4 tracks as it's very efficient, especially climbing. I'd imagine that in the states (where it was made) it would be outstanding on long smooth (dry) SoCal rolling mountain trails. Here in the UK? Not so much. The rest is 1x11 SLX/XT, XT tubeless wheels running 2" WTB Rangers (I like these a lot) at about 30psi for flat stuff and 20psi for rough stuff (anything less and I'm pinging the rims).
I wonder whether you might have had a different experience on a different bike :wink:
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I wonder whether you might have had a different experience on a different bike :wink:
No doubt I would! It's a certainty that what I used was emphatically not suited to the descents. Though as Jim says, it absolutely destroyed him on the flat and climbs.

There's no right answer to the 'what bike?' question, I'm just interested in opinions on how people approach riding the rough stuff on rigid bikes, and what people use when they do use FS.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Highland Trail does the Devil's Staircase in the opposite direction to the way you went and comes at the end of the route. I rode on a Cotic Solaris with rigid carbon forks.

It wasn't the rocky, techy stuff that was a problem as you'd either go down slowly picking lines or walk the really tech ground but the long chattery tracks that link everything up. Being as relaxed and fluid as possible "helps" but doesn't deal with everything. By the end little and ring fingers on both hands were numb and it's taken several months to get the feeling back.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Unless it's very sketchy the "point it downhill and hold on until it's over" approach has served me well.
The balls over brains approach wasn't what I meant when I said, "Riding something rigid well is generally counter-intuitive and like so many other things in life, appears to work much better once you learn to say, 'f*ck it' and simply let go ".

I meant, learn to let go mentally. Your brain will be in full self-preservation mode and the things it wants you to do will be far from the best things - throuble is, they will feel instinctive, hence the mention of counter- intuitive.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ignore what the others say ride rigid and be soft - get a fat bike!

Sorry I'll get me coat.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

whitestone wrote:There are descents where the lack of suspension is going to be a real hindrance, Coire Lair in Torridon comes to mind. Most of the Kinlochleven descent isn't too bad from memory but there were a couple of sections I walked where it just got too rough.

The Spearfish? It was designed and aimed at long distance XC riding rather than trail centre type riding.
I think it depends on the bike. I rode it on a hardtail El Mariachi in 2014 with a Reba, and on my Jones this year. I think the Jones design is more suited to being rigid than, for example, the El Mar - I ran it rigid for a while too.

For me, Jones bars make a huge difference, keeping my hands back behind the axle which helps roll the bike through things.

The mistake I made with the rigid El Mar was not changing any element of the build to support being rigid other than simply the fork. With hindsight, a shorter stem and bigger front tyre would have been nice.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Can I suggest grips?

I replaced the stock grips on my rigid 650b+ bike after the first long ride, for different reasons (I was getting blisters), with ESI Extra Chunky silicone grips. They're massive, I feel like I'm gripping a pool noodle, but they've done the trick. Might help you, might not.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:The Highland Trail does the Devil's Staircase in the opposite direction to the way you went and comes at the end of the route. I rode on a Cotic Solaris with rigid carbon forks.

It wasn't the rocky, techy stuff that was a problem as you'd either go down slowly picking lines or walk the really tech ground but the long chattery tracks that link everything up. Being as relaxed and fluid as possible "helps" but doesn't deal with everything. By the end little and ring fingers on both hands were numb and it's taken several months to get the feeling back.
Go suss and drop numbness :wink:
Catbaiter wrote:Truth be told, I've been biking for a long time (like most people here). I know how to ride a rigid bike up and down a hill, I've been doing it since the 80s. I used to race XC on rigid bikes. My do it all bike is rigid, my fat bike is rigid... you get the idea. I'm not brilliant by any means, but I think that probably qualifies as "practise", though you can never have too much of that.

But with a busted knee, a busted shoulder, a former broken back (with the accompanying 2 years of staggering painful physio) and half a lifetime of other assorted skiing, climbing and mountain biking injuries slowly coming home to roost, I just want to make my life a little easier. Soft? Yeah, very probably. But I'm not in denial about that!
Give rigid a break and/or ride less rigid. What's so great about being in pain if you can ride without? Your collection of injuries sound very similar to mine and I too don't want to make further damage but ride hard.

My short travel bike used to be a BMC Fourstroke and now is a Kona HeiHei DL. The Kona is an affordable and wonderful bike. The geometry is spot on. Wonderfully balanced for charging up or down, yet comfy for long riding. The rear suspension will take the brunt but not move too much and Fox has done a great job too on the cheaper 2017 performance forks.
It's lightweight too. I got the HeiHei DL 2017 just recently for a very good price, changed a few bits and it's now at 11.6 kg. Only 1 kg heavier than my rigid ssp steel horse.
BMC should have shortened the chainstay and played with the head angle a little to make the bike more fun. Compared to the Kona it's just a boring, dead feeling mile muncher.

Then there are bikes like Trek Fuel and Yeti SB4.5 or Stoll bikes. All of them are super fun, agile and fast and comfy for long days.
Scott has made a good bike too with the newish Spark, but the headangle feels a little out of shape for the rest of the bike - I think they went too flat.

No issue with giving mentioned bikes a beating. They'll take it with joy.

Just don't use forks with less than 34 mm stancions and (ali) rims at <400 g if you like to hammer the bike around rough stuff.

In the meanwhile, there will always be a (different) place for rigid. I remember starting riding a rigid ssp and having to adjust more to riding rigid then to riding with one gear only.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alpinum wrote:Go suss and drop numbness :wink:
At the time it was the only MTB I had apart from the fat bike.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Alpinium - That's some really useful advice and very much appreciated thanks. It reinforces the conclusion I was coming to.

I test rode a few FS Whyte, Orbea, Spesh, Scott, Orange and Cube bikes over the past few days (basically whatever I could get my hands on). They were nice, but a bit 'meh' and I was beginning to lose hope. However the Cannondale Carbon Bad Habit I tried was in a league of it's own. And I near instantly fell in love. It climbs way better than I anticipated (I had low expectations to be fair), it's pretty light and I can swap out the 27+ for 29 when I want to go mile munching. I was leaning towards a leftie fork (on the normal Habit 1), but even discounted it's it's horribly expensive, also new wheels would be harder to get (and more expensive, and it wont go up to 29). So I opted for the 2. I liked it so much I put the deposit down and it arrives early next week.

Loving the pictures (and on the Enduro thread), inspirational stuff. Iceland is an amazing place to ride, and I have a real ache to go back and put in practice all the things I learned from the first trip.

Cheers.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

ftr I've tried a few different iterations of rigid (Ti/steel frame, plus tyres/rims, different bars & grips) and just can't get to a point where I'm not either in a bit of pain or experiencing tingly/numb fingers after a big ride. Upshot - I don't ride rigid any more. I figure what's the point of risking long-term or permanent nerve damage to save a few grammes?

Lauf fork, carbon Jones bars and Ergon grips. Sorted.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Catbaiter wrote:Alpinium - That's some really useful advice and very much appreciated thanks. It reinforces the conclusion I was coming to.

I test rode a few FS Whyte, Orbea, Spesh, Scott, Orange and Cube bikes over the past few days (basically whatever I could get my hands on). They were nice, but a bit 'meh' and I was beginning to lose hope. However the Cannondale Carbon Bad Habit I tried was in a league of it's own. And I near instantly fell in love. It climbs way better than I anticipated (I had low expectations to be fair), it's pretty light and I can swap out the 27+ for 29 when I want to go mile munching. I was leaning towards a leftie fork (on the normal Habit 1), but even discounted it's it's horribly expensive, also new wheels would be harder to get (and more expensive, and it wont go up to 29). So I opted for the 2. I liked it so much I put the deposit down and it arrives early next week.

Loving the pictures (and on the Enduro thread), inspirational stuff. Iceland is an amazing place to ride, and I have a real ache to go back and put in practice all the things I learned from the first trip.

Cheers.
:-bd

That's very much it; Test the heck out of different bikes, compare numbers, prices... in the end there's often that moment where you just know you found the right bike, despite heavy wheel or wrong tyres or too long stem on the test bike.

Same here with Iceland. I can only go a few years without :mrgreen:
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've tried a few different iterations of rigid (Ti/steel frame, plus tyres/rims, different bars & grips) and just can't get to a point where I'm not either in a bit of pain or experiencing tingly/numb fingers after a big ride.
Thing is, while a Lauf fork will do a lot to cushion things and more than changing materials etc will do - you could have the comfiest set of tyres, frame and fork materials etc, but if your (not you particularly, just in general :grin:) weight is in the wrong place and puts pressure on your hands and the bike geometry causes or exacerbates that, it'll never be comfy. At the other end of the scale is something like my steel Jones, bomber-stiff compared to most bikes I've ridden yet amazingly comfy - design and weight distribution making way more difference than materials. I've cursed that bike's rigid front end briefly, occasionally, but it took some genuinely difficult terrain over a few days to get to that point. I've had more numb finger issues in recent years from road riding on a comfy bike, simply caused by light pressure over too many hours for a few days, maybe neck tension from other positional causes, etc.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

So... what was the conclusion of this lively discussion. What is the best riding rigid boost fork without spending all my months wages on an Enve... Do tell pls
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a pair of the Travers Prongs. Are they any better than brand X or brand Y? No idea!

James: I spent a long time getting my bike set up "just so" to help with numb hands, this was before I put the rigid forks on. I'd be fine up to 12hrs or so then get problems after that. With the symptoms only appearing after such a long time it took the best part of a year tweaking things to get it sorted. I thought I'd managed it as for two day rides I was fine but there's obviously something still not quite right for even longer rides.

If you've ever set up a grandfather clock it's similar: the clock runs for a minute so you adjust it slightly and it now runs for an hour so you make another smaller adjustment and it runs for 12hrs. Another tweak and it runs for 36hrs. Finally you alter it by a gnat's nadger and it runs for the full seven days.