Headsets

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

Headsets

Post by jay91 »

I'm think about replacing my headset on the inbred is it worth spending a lot on a hope,CK etc or just get mid range?
Trying to ride bikes.
NorwayCalling

Re: Headsets

Post by NorwayCalling »

jay91 wrote:I'm think about replacing my headset on the inbred is it worth spending a lot on a hope,CK etc or just get mid range?
yes and no....

I have a Chris king headset that's has to be 14 years old and has only had 2 sets of races in that whole time.I have just popped it out of the inbred I am selling in the classifieds. Remember, 1 1/8" is so 1990's :roll: so you can pick up a King cheap, cheap off Ebay or around £85 retail if you look hard enough.

Conversely, the "cheap" i.e. £20 FSA headsets last about a year before getting a bit clunky.

"mid-range" headsets - avoid - as no advantage over the cheep and not as good as the expressive. Either go cheap and replace as they ware or go expensive, but avoid mid-priced headsets as (in my experience) the never live up to expectations.

Up to you really and how long you want to keep 1 1/8" in your life.
atk

Post by atk »

I had a CK headset, it looked nice but other than aesthetically, it wasn't noticeably different to the assortment of Cane Creek 40s I've had on other bikes. Neither needed much in the way of care or attention, so I'll probably stick with the 40s and save a few ££ :)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I completely agree with mr Norways observations.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

atk wrote:I had a CK headset, it looked nice but other than aesthetically, it wasn't noticeably different to the assortment of Cane Creek 40s I've had on other bikes. Neither needed much in the way of care or attention, so I'll probably stick with the 40s and save a few ££ :)
:-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

NorwayCalling wrote:
jay91 wrote:I'm think about replacing my headset on the inbred is it worth spending a lot on a hope,CK etc or just get mid range?
yes and no....

I have a Chris king headset that's has to be 14 years old and has only had 2 sets of races in that whole time.I have just popped it out of the inbred I am selling in the classifieds. Remember, 1 1/8" is so 1990's :roll: so you can pick up a King cheap, cheap off Ebay or around £85 retail if you look hard enough.

Conversely, the "cheap" i.e. £20 FSA headsets last about a year before getting a bit clunky.

"mid-range" headsets - avoid - as no advantage over the cheep and not as good as the expressive. Either go cheap and replace as they ware or go expensive, but avoid mid-priced headsets as (in my experience) the never live up to expectations.

Up to you really and how long you want to keep 1 1/8" in your life.

Cheers I'll have a look online when I'm home later

What about hope? think there about £60
Trying to ride bikes.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I have a hope (mk1) headset I bought secondhand 5 or 6 years ago. Still running fine.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Just ordered on cane creek 40 £29 Merlin.
Trying to ride bikes.