Cairngorms Loop - Sept Start

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

Re: Cairngorms Loop - Sept Start

Post by Justchris »

For those travelling up next Friday. Depending on your travel times and route you might want to try and avoid the new forth road bridge. It's been an hour or more wait during rush hour. Today (friday) its was well over an hour from 3pm onwards, and it was over an hour on the kincardine bridge as well as loads of people tried to avoid the new bridge. Just something to bear in mind.

Thanks

C
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Weatherwatch: I hope we all enjoy being moist.

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/ ... /long.html

MWIS currently only up to Thursday:

http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast/EH/
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:Weatherwatch: I hope we all enjoy being moist.

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/ ... /long.html

MWIS currently only up to Thursday:

http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast/EH/
Nobbut a bit o' drizzle lad :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's certainly been very wet these past few days. Careful with those river crossings!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Smart rider diverts to the outer loop. Where there is cake. And a nice pub or two....
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if deciding not to ITT the full loop due to conditions are there any diversions which improve the route?

I assume its better to start on the inner loop past Glenmore lodge & Ryvoan to then join the outer loop again.

Seem to remember theres another section which benefits from a diversion?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Checking the SEPA site it looks like most of the rivers have had a couple of surges over the past few days. Last week the rivers were all shown as at the lower end of their "normal" range but they are now in the middle of that range. Figures for the A'an http://apps.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/?sd=t&lc=234198 show it have risen from 0.4m (historical average) on Saturday to 0.8m this morning but with a real pulse last night.

I suppose checking the water levels at the bridge over the Nethy before you head over Bynack Mor is the commit point. If you got to the Fords of A'an and decided not to cross then it might be possible to follow the marked track http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=304550 ... &A=Y&Z=120 leading to Faindouran Lodge and then Inchrory to pick up the outer loop but looking on Geograph.org.uk it doesn't look like much of a track for the first five Km.

Chew - I think the loop at the end out to Fealar Lodge is the one that most reckon to replace with a simple ride down Glen Tilt.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Chew wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but if deciding not to ITT the full loop due to conditions are there any diversions which improve the route?

I assume its better to start on the inner loop past Glenmore lodge & Ryvoan to then join the outer loop again.

Seem to remember theres another section which benefits from a diversion?
You got it - Glenmore - Ryovan - Outer - then if you want avoid the HAB up to Felar Lodge and go straight on down.

Or, do the HAB and have a sense of satisfaction that you at least did it. Which is what I've done for some reason each time.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The river crossing at Sronphradruig lodge just before the Gaick pass is a good indicator of water levels. When I did my ITT in August '14 (two weeks after hurricane Bertha paid a visit) it was impassable so I didn't cross it. The official route makes you cross it twice in quick succession but this is a pretty dubious prospect even at normal levels as the bed has eroded so much. I pick my way along the bank these days for dry feet.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

After a largely dry start, showers will develop from mid morning and become more numerous into the afternoon. Some will be heavy with sleet and wet snow possible across the highest tops.

I may pack some warmer kit than planned....
giryan

Post by giryan »

erk. :s
Yeah, Might find some real warm gloves and a pair of waterproof trousers, although I can't really imagine cycling in them :/

I'd like to thank everyone here too, I know I've not even got there yet, but there's so much vaguely exciting information that people are sharing, and I'd probably just be heading into things blind without. (specifically thinking of the diversions etc..., but all the info has been really great)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's all lies to fool you. Don't trust a word of it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looking at the SEPA site, there's some interesting "up-ticks" on the various rivers around the Cairngorms.

Heads out to fit SPDs to wellies :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pack Smidge.

I've just been outside for a few minutes and the flying death are out in force.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And it's been confirmed that there were a couple of snow showers today on the summits.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Smidge...how the hell did I forget to put this on my pack list...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The wind will blow the midges away won't it?!
Good luck folks. As you make your way through the gaik, I'll be getting shoved in an MRI scanner so I'll be thinking of yers
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Bum, bugger and blast... as my Grandad used to say.

I am out before it has even began.

Timing just hasn't panned out for me so I shall be putting this one on the back burner for another time.

Enjoy.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I came through Feshie on Monday and can confirm the burns were high, and the rain continues, enough to keep the current( :roll:)levels at least. I imagine the fords of Avon will be pretty high. Easy does it now and good luck to those partaking.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Markus posted this an hour ago....
So glad i made it to Braemar. Two river crossings in Glen Feshie, waist deep, very challenging.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's only one proper river crossing in Glen Feshie and it's never been waist deep (other than the time it caused a landslip). I suspect he missed the single track and ploughed on along the landie track.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

There's only one proper river crossing in Glen Feshie and it's never been waist deep (other than the time it caused a landslip). I suspect he missed the single track and ploughed on along the landie track.
Well I certainly had the impression he'd researched his Central Belter pretty well, so shouldn't be lost.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If he considers Glen Feshie to be in the Central Belt then he's definitely lost :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

As per Colin. One suspects he is off route.

Also, if rivers are that high... I've zero intention of crossing into an area I'd end up staying in cold and hungry. It's just a bike ride.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Did a hasty repack last night with warmer clothing. And waders. And a tent for the night before.

Anyone in the area for the start - there will be a few of us in the pub from 1900 ish.