Newbie kit advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Marc007ben

Newbie kit advice

Post by Marc007ben »

Hi guys / gals

I'm very new to bikebacking and need advice on kit to carry? Im taking a week off in late September and will be making my way from north to South Wales off road. Any help would be great with sleeping systems, cooking equipment and spares that you guys carry.
Thanks in advance

Marc
Mariner

Re: Newbie kit advice

Post by Mariner »

Firstly welcome.

Secondly that’s a big trip to start on.

Thirdly what you are asking is what keeps this website going.

There is no ‘standard’ kit list so look at it from the other end. What is the least you can get away with and what is the lightest kit you can afford?
Have a look at the current thread ‘Packing what do you put where?’ as that gives a good indication of what people carry and where. Then go through HT550 kit lists to see what long distance riders are carrying. Kit is personal and takes years to refine – if ever.
Personally, and probably controversially, on the Wales N-S ride I would not carry a stove. Carry some food with you pick up water as you go and eat in cafes pubs etc. but try to get away from the concept of three square a day. As long as you eat something you will be ok unless there are medical reasons.
If you are using the Llandudno-Worms Head or Sarn Helen route there are plenty of resupply places along the route.
Probably not much help but good luck.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Hello & Welcome :-bd
Mariner wrote:What is the least you can get away with and what is the lightest kit you can afford? Personally, and probably controversially, on the Wales N-S ride I would not carry a stove. Carry some food with you pick up water as you go and eat in cafes pubs etc. but try to get away from the concept of three square a day. As long as you eat something you will be ok unless there are medical reasons.
Agreed. Most of the time you won't be using cooking equipment (thus it's unnecessary weight, bulk and it absorbs time). You may find that once you're on the bike you won't be bothered about an early morning cuppa, either.
Try to ditch the sleeping bag too, if the weather's warm enough. I've found a cheap down jacket, old ski salopettes, Ron Hill Tracksters & thick socks in a bivi bag are less bulky & more versatile than a sleeping bag (which I'll still use for winter). You can wear them whilst un/packing or if it's a bit nippy when stopped for lunch, which is more difficult to do with a sleeping bag.
One of the early mistakes I made was to buy a seat-pack-harness-thing and try to stuff my bulky existing kit into it, with less-than-visually-appealing results that put excessive strain on the fabric & stitching. :shock:
I should have just stuffed it in a dry bag and lashed it to the rack that was already fitted to my bike, but hey-ho... :roll:
I've not done that many trips and the first one can seem a bit daunting. But it's only cycling & camping: it's not that hard :d .
Have fun and let us know how you get on!
May you always have tail wind.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ditching the stove as suggested above is a good idea, but not sure about suggesting not taking a sleeping bag :-/

Coast to coast is a big trip for a virgin, try an overnighter between now and September and you'll learn loads more in that time than on the 'net.

Kit wise for an overnighter;
-sleep mat
-sleep bag
-bivi bag
-insulated vest/jacket for evening time
-tarp if rain is likely
-usual cycle clothing for a day trip
-2 water bottles
-filter
-map/GPS
-lights and head torch
-dry food as no stove

I'm sure I've forgotten something...

Dry bags 'lashed' to the seat and bars will be fine for your first trip, as is carrying the lighter stuff on your back too
Marc007ben

Post by Marc007ben »

Thanks Guys,

All noted, I will be have a few overnight outings between now and the wales north south. Do you ditch the Tent in favour of a bivi?

Marc
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Marc007ben wrote:Do you ditch the Tent in favour of a bivi?
Yes: unless the forecast is truly mingin', in which case I'll take flysheet only; or keep pedaling until I find cover (bus shelter, toilet, dense forest, etc) or choose another weekend :grin: .
I find the bivi-only option works best by choosing the type of confined lair in which one wouldn't have the space to pitch a tent.
psling

Post by psling »

Hi. I'll chuck in my twopennyworth because everyone does it slightly differently and you'll eventually develop your own kit through experimentation.
Have a look at the current thread ‘Packing what do you put where?’ as that gives a good indication of what people carry and where
is a good place to start.
You don't have to spend a fortune to start although a good sleep mat and sleep bag/quilt will make things more comfortable. Late September through the upper reaches of Wales I would take a sleeping bag/quilt personally.
I would also take a small water boiling set-up and coffee/tea but that's because I like to stop and make a brew when it suits me, normally where there's a cracking view (aka in need of a rest over the top of a big hill!).
In my experience people starting out carry far too much water (at 1kg per Litre!) when you can fill up bottles at houses, farms, shops, cafes, garages along the way or from streams etc (use a filter if you feel necessary). If you want water at your overnight spot, collect it as late as necessary, carry a collapsible water container/bladder to save weight/space.
Consider multi use of single items where possible rather than carrying one of everything. Oh, and pee before you squat :shock:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Personally I use a sub 1kg tent, it packs tiny ( my mat and tent are in a 5ltr dry bag) it might not have the versatility of a tarp but it's quicker to setup and keeps me dry and bug free. Also I DO take a stove, a titanium mug and meths stove is a very light setup, when it's cold or horrible a brew makes everything ok.

Kit is very personal and evolves over time, as others have mentioned a few trips should enable you to figure out what works for you. I'd done a fair bit of road touring but found most of my kit just didn't work for bikepacking it was either too heavy or too bulky. One thing not to neglect is a repair kit.

For water the MSR trailshot filter is great, small and dead easy to use and at 100g light.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

psling wrote:Hi. I'll chuck in my twopennyworth because everyone does it slightly differently and you'll eventually develop your own kit through experimentation.
Oh, and pee before you squat :shock:

:lol:

Marc007ben

Post by Marc007ben »

Thanks for the info guys.

I am an former Royal Marine so not adverse to hardship........But being long in the tooth now I do like a bit of comfort, like a cup of Tea. I'm going to try out all your suggestions and see what works for me. The long term plan (3 years) is the tour devide but one step at a time.

Kind regards

Marc
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just so you know ... we had a frost last night.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just so you know ... we had a frost last night.
we had biblical rain! even the ducks were worried. just glad in wasn't under a tarp.

Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

BigdummySteve wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just so you know ... we had a frost last night.
we had biblical rain! even the ducks were worried. just glad in wasn't under a tarp.

I was out last night too. Near uttoxeter,OMG did it rain. Most of the night. Two items I'm really glad I took. 1. My six moon designs lunar solo tent. 2. Pair of ear plugs :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I am an former Royal Marine so not adverse to hardship
The ultimate object is to avoid any hardship while carrying as little as possible. Being cold, wet and hungry is easy ... anyone can do it :wink:

If you break it down to basics, all you really require is - something to sleep in, on and under but what you use to provide these three things could be wildly diverse. As has already been said, contrary to how it appears, there's actually no right or wrong answers, just as long as they're the answers to your own personal questions. It helps if you can quickly learn to distinguish between 'need' and 'want' because in reality, we need very little and most of the crap people carry about is done so because they want it. However, it's not a defined line ... I always carry a pillow, (a) because I want one but also (b) because I need one to sleep. I won't be carrying enough (if any) spare clothes to stuff into a dry-bag to produce a makeshift pillow but even if I were, my dry-bags are likely to be covered in mud and poo. I could not take a pillow and sleep poorly, I'd save 60g but my riding would probably suffer as a result over a few days making me noticeably slower than an additional 60g ever will.

Right, I'm off on one now, sorry.
May the bridges you burn light your way
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:...distinguish between 'need' and 'want'...
So are sleeping bags the new "comfort blankets"? :wink:
Marc007ben

Post by Marc007ben »

Need and want.......I like this.

PS and fair play to anyone out this weekend in the rain. :-bd
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

Personally if i was doing a week trip it would be a tent definetly.

I went from tents to hammocking to bivi's in attempts to save weight/packsize and just try it out.
Dont mind bivying for one night, hammocking too dependant on trees, but overall ive came back around to tents.Generally heavier/bulkier, but has its plus sides. Being part of the environment in a bivy is nice, looking around and seeing the stars etc. But at the end of a long/wet/windy day, ive had enough of the environment, give me my tent and let me forget its out there untill the morning. :lol: