Bikepack Maps - New Version

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Re: Bikepack Maps - New Version

Post by ootini »

Sorry if I'm being thick. Is this a Track or Route, like a gpx? Or is this a base "map" with bikepacking routes already highlighted, thus negating the need for the gpx?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Basemap with routes highlighted on map
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ootini

Post by ootini »

Dave Barter wrote:Basemap with routes highlighted on map
:shock: this is a work of genius! And you can still pop gpx files on for routes not "in the map" by default?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Dave Barter wrote:Bothies are on there which is why we keep these maps within *our* community atm
I'd also say dont rely that the position of these being 100% accurate. More of an indication of there general vicinity.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Successfully used this to follow some of the Trans Pennine Trail in the dark last night after the signs developed a circular loop error. Don't know if you put that on there Dave but have a top hat anyway.

Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

This saved an ordeal on my HT550 the other week when my Garmin decided to stop showing the route at certain zoom levels.
They're fantastic, thanks Dave! :D
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Sorry if this is a little OT but I'm a complete Garmin newb.

I have an Oregon 600 fresh out of the box and I want to get this map loaded on to it (I'm off to do the northern loop of the CL on Friday (I have he route on OS paper maps though... :grin: ).

Anybody care to point me to an idiots guide (as I'm definitely an idiot...) of how to go about doing this. The garmin is currently fresh out the box, got batteries loaded and a blank SD card inserted :lol: and thanks to ScotRoutes the base language is now English, my Hrvatski isn't so hot these days...

What now? I mean from the very beginning.... :oops:

Cheers, mh.
Give the dirt a little room.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

metalheart wrote:Sorry if this is a little OT but I'm a complete Garmin newb.

I have an Oregon 600 fresh out of the box and I want to get this map loaded on to it (I'm off to do the northern loop of the CL on Friday (I have he route on OS paper maps though... :grin: ).

Anybody care to point me to an idiots guide (as I'm definitely an idiot...) of how to go about doing this. The garmin is currently fresh out the box, got batteries loaded and a blank SD card inserted :lol: and thanks to ScotRoutes the base language is now English, my Hrvatski isn't so hot these days...

What now? I mean from the very beginning.... :oops:

Cheers, mh.
Plug the Oregon into your computer
If you are on a Windows machine open Explorer, if on a Mac open Finder.
The Oregon should appear as a new device or drive and the SD card should appear as a separate device or drive. On my system the SD card appears as "No Name"
Open the SD card so you can see its contents. There should be a folder called "garmin".
If there isn't then create one.
Now copy the map file "gmapsuppukbpv1.img" into the "garmin" folder.
Disconnect everything.

Start up your Oregon, tap on the map icon and tap the menu icon (the three line hamburger icon), choose "Set up maps" then "configure maps" then tap on "UK Bikepack_xx" to enable it. It's worth scrolling through the list of inbuilt maps and disabling any that are set to be visible.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote:
Plug the Oregon into your computer
If you are on a Windows machine open Explorer, if on a Mac open Finder.
The Oregon should appear as a new device or drive and the SD card should appear as a separate device or drive. On my system the SD card appears as "No Name"
Open the SD card so you can see its contents. There should be a folder called "garmin".
If there isn't then create one.
Now copy the map file "gmapsuppukbpv1.img" into the "garmin" folder.
Disconnect everything.

Start up your Oregon, tap on the map icon and tap the menu icon (the three line hamburger icon), choose "Set up maps" then "configure maps" then tap on "UK Bikepack_xx" to enable it. It's worth scrolling through the list of inbuilt maps and disabling any that are set to be visible.
Ah, so this isn't a disc image.

That will be why I couldn't mount the image in windows.

Can the map be loaded into Garmin basecamp?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

No, not sure why the ".img" extension is used. Windows bases its actions on the extension and obviously doesn't know about this use of img.

You can use it in Basecamp - I've added points of interest using it. Basecamp doesn't find it on your computer but if you plug in your device then you can load any map on the device from there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Basecamp doesn't find it on your computer but if you plug in your device then you can load any map on the device from there.
You can also create a virtual drive or - and this is what I've done - put the IMG file onto a USB stick and plug that in. Basecamp sees the external drive and assumes it's your Garmin. That means you can use the maps even when the Garmin isn't plugged in.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote:No, not sure why the ".img" extension is used. Windows bases its actions on the extension and obviously doesn't know about this use of img.

You can use it in Basecamp - I've added points of interest using it. Basecamp doesn't find it on your computer but if you plug in your device then you can load any map on the device from there.
sorted

grabbed an SD card

created a "garmin" folder in the root directory

copied map into the garmin folder

SD card into laptop

start basecamp

map is there

thanks
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Is it just me, or is the Cairngorm Loops route not showing up in Basecamp? (I've not tried that file on my Oregon yet).

HT550 route is displaying OK.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Well, I've managed to download it to the device, thanks Bob! Used over 10% of my monthly allowance downloading mind. I need to spend less time 'online' anyways... :lol:

Don't know what I'm doing with it but, hey, I've got until Friday to work it out... :mrgreen:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Is it just me, or is the Cairngorm Loops route not showing up in Basecamp? (I've not tried that file on my Oregon yet).
I thought it was just me not being able to work the oregon... But, no, I can't see it neither.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

metalheart wrote:Well, I've managed to download it to the device, thanks Bob! Used over 10% of my monthly allowance downloading mind. I need to spend less time 'online' anyways... :lol:

Don't know what I'm doing with it but, hey, I've got until Friday to work it out... :mrgreen:
Copy the track I sent you into your Oregon in the Garmin/GPX folder. You can also import it into Basecamp if you want to view/edit it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

metalheart wrote:
I thought it was just me not being able to work the oregon... But, no, I can't see it neither.
I've just checked it on my Oregon too. Looks like Dave has somehow missed it off the map.

I've dropped him an email.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Postby In Reverse » Mon May 22, 2017 9:57 pm
Could have done with this thread last week Dave - it would have been a reminder to take the Spanish maps off the Garmin and put the UK ones back on, which in turn would have made navigating the Jenn Ride a much more straightforward affair. :oops:

Did the same today!
First time I'd used the garmin since Spain. Went out on a new route that I'd downloaded, turned the garmin on and just the basemap...... :oops:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Breaking news, I have found the missing routes bug and the maps are re-rendering now. New version out next week
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer