Rack or seat bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

errol

Rack or seat bag?

Post by errol »

All new to this so doing a bit of research before deciding which way to go?

Most of the bike packing stuff that I have looked at or read about suggests that a seat bag like Alpkit Koala or Big Papa are a good way to go, but does anyone use a good old fashioned rack with a bag on top of it or something. I'm guessing that rack mounting point durability may be an issue in the long run, but I cant see me immediately doing any really rough stuff which would potentially negate this so would like to use what I have at my disposal currently which is a rack - bag to be purchased!

I can see the value of a frame bag and a handlebar harness, (have made one, so will see how it fairs when I venture out on my first foray!).

Any thoughts?

Ta!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Rack or seat bag?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you've already got a rack then use it ... doing so won't take anything away from your enjoyment.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Yeah what he said.

I used a rack for ages. Even on rough Stuff.

It'll be fine. Upgrade when you feel like it but either will work fine
ootini

Post by ootini »

My wife uses a rack as opposed to seat pack, purely because, with her being a short arse she has the seat post very low, subsequently there isn't enough clearance between the saddle and tyre to wedge a proper seat pack. She uses the rack with a 15l dry bag strapped to the top, and sometimes a pair of cheapo pannier bags hanging off the sides too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Remember that using a rack means you're touring not bikepacking, so no photos or ride reports on here, thankyouverymuch

:lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

ScotRoutes wrote:Remember that using a rack means you're touring not bikepacking, so no photos or ride reports on here, thankyouverymuch

:lol:
Lo and behold bikepacking specific panniers...

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/ortlieb-gravel-pack/

:grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lo and behold bikepacking specific panniers...

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/ortlieb ... avel-pack/
... and strangely, made by a company good at making panniers but not so hot at 'bikepacking' gear :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

At $170 they've had to sell the chain and pedals off the bike to pay for them :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Quite a few of those doing the 300Km race at Rovaniemi in February had panniers as well as a full complement of bikepacking bags and harnesses. Carrying five days' worth of food and fuel for seriously sub-zero temperatures needs a bit of room.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The best of getting out and about is using what you already have. That way you know what works and what doesn't, and then what to spend your money on

You could bungee an ikea bag full of your kit on top of the rack and that would work just fine!
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

I've been using a Koala seat pack up until now. It's light and it does the job, but it's a faff to have to pack and attach it just so each morning, or it'll sway about all day. So I looked at holster systems, which seemed expensive and were smaller in capacity. Then I looked at seat packs with built in stabilisers, which seemed even more expensive and weighed as much as a rack. Then I remembered I had a rack, and I had rack mounts...

It's occurred to me it would only take seconds to strap a dry bag on top of the rack each morning, and I wouldn't have had to carefully packed it with the heavy items in first. The rack I have is steel and rated to 25kg, so 2kg of drybag and contents shouldn't tax it no matter how rough going the terrain. I know racks are deeply unfashionable, but I'm beginning to think there's still something to be said for them..
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I used Ortlieb panniers on the WRT, no problem, they are great, easy on-off when throwing the bike over locked gates, not so good when pushing the bike up steep hills!
I like them as I can squeeze pretty much everything I need in them along with a possum frame bag.

I did go for the smallest ones though and not some huge monstrosity that just encourages over packing.

They were surprisingly OK off road and only rattled a little, but a few wraps of insulating tape sorted that out. It is handy having the rack if you along your route find a farm shop for fresh fruit, you have somewhere to strap it to.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You could bungee an ikea bag full of your kit on top of the rack and that would work just fine!
I saw a bloke on Sunday night riding down the M42 with this exact set-up :shock:
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I should also point out I went onto SJS website and ordered a pair of extra hooks to make it more secure.

Looks like Ortlieb had the same idea.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I still firmly believe in a middle ground solution, but few options at the moment.

Racks are simple, carry a ton of kit (if you let them) and very stable. Solid built racks for big weights carrying only a fraction of that weight should hold up fine. Some say they rattle loose or break (so can any bolt on a bike surely?) Or snap.
They can encourage overpacking, and of course the weight. Even the lighter end is still more than none at all. All the downsides of a rack "defeat the point" of bikepacking according to some....but seems to beg what their definition of "the point" is.

Seatpacks are light, force strict packing. Dont need mounts, work on any bike and very aero, tough, adaptable. Minimalist. With the right pack, right seat/post/saddle height, right kit inside youre off to a winner! But the average isnt ideal and i find they swing, bop, wag and actually reduce my confidence. Find myself always tugging straps tight and making sure everything is packed just right.

My ideal? Porcelain rocket mr fusion. A superlight rack for the benefits of seatpacks with the rigidity and stability of a rack. The PDW BINDLE comes to mind too. The extra weight is worth the stability in my opinion.
Even the classic carradice "rack" under the seat has alot of merrit, more so if modernised.

Expensive, but worth pursuing. I made my own "ghetto fusion" using a seatpost collar with rack bosses and the upper stays from a rack. Super stable, 120g plus drybag and stops tyre rub by keeping the bag high, failure was the stays were too short and a change of seat meant the straps werent quite right but concept worked.
errol

Post by errol »

Thanks all for thoughts and insight!

:-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

whitestone wrote:Quite a few of those doing the 300Km race at Rovaniemi in February had panniers as well as a full complement of bikepacking bags and harnesses. Carrying five days' worth of food and fuel for seriously sub-zero temperatures needs a bit of room.
Panniers on the rear of my fat bike with bar harness and soft luggage both ends on my 29er.

Have cycled simile routes with both setups and pros/cons to both
-panniers can carry more but are heavier to begin with. Much easier to organise kit as it's split between two bags than one. Can be a bit noisier though as panniers will rattle. Panniers are great if you've got bulky kit too, I.e lots of down products etc
-soft luggage is much neater and slimmer, makes the bike easier to carry on hike a bike! Have to carry less kit, so this can be good or bad ;-)

If I only had panniers, then I would use them to begin with

As a side note, don't carry Nutella in sub zero conditions and expect it to be edible :oops:

Edit; Panniers are a front set that are used on the rear as they're smaller
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

One thing to consider, I use panniers on my Longitude and I have no worries about them scratching the frame, if I use my tailpack and frame bag I have to helicopter tape the strap points as they just rub the paint clean off, some may like the beaten and tired look.

I can still carry two water bottles in the frame when using panniers.
I use the Ortleib sport roller plus on a tubus rack.