Finding Bivi Spots (Or...)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ddraver

Finding Bivi Spots (Or...)

Post by ddraver »

(...knowing when to stick with what you've got)

Hi Guys

So last week I was walking (sorry :oops: ) the cornish coast path and bivi-ing. On both the nights I wild camped I found a decent spot (flat, water source, place for a swim in the sea etc.) but walked on past it for various reasons. First night it was because it was a tad early and the second was because there were a few people around on romantic sunset walks etc. Both nights I ended up in far less amenable locations usually only a half hour max further on.

So - for the non-racers - how do you go about choosing a spot to stop?

DaveK
Matt

Re: Finding Bivi Spots (Or...)

Post by Matt »

Flat
Water
Nice view

If early just don't put you stuff up
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My rule is take the first one you see (when you're actually looking for a spot)

Every now and then you find a better one in the morning shortly afterwards, but in the vast majority of cases this has paid off
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Don't need to be by water, just carry an extra collapsible container and you can bivi anywhere. In fact, water sources in the summer can attract flies, mozzies etc.

Nice views are great but my last few bivi spots have been picked when it's been dark. I don't hang around either in the morning, pack away my stuff and off I go (ride for an hour or so and then stop for breakfast once the sun has risen and warmed up)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Much depends on conditions / time of year. In winter I'll look for somewhere with natural shelter, in summer somewhere more open with a breeze. I will sometimes have a potential spot in mind, it won't be anywhere I've visited before, simply something I've seen on the map and thought it had potential.

I do sometimes think that if there's the likelihood of people, you're better being blatant and hiding in plain sight.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Silly Q sorry. How do you decide by lookin on map that somewhere has potential?? I'm planning to wild camp in the Peaks this winter during the Rapha500 you see so could do with the extra tips...

Ta
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

It's particularly difficult right now as it doesnt get dark till so bloomin' late.

On the other hand the evening is a lovely time to be walking.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

redefined_cycles wrote:Silly Q sorry. How do you decide by lookin on map that somewhere has potential?? I'm planning to wild camp in the Peaks this winter during the Rapha500 you see so could do with the extra tips...

Ta
For a winter bivvy spot I tend to have a rough distance in mind (at least 2/3 into the ride) then look on a map for a wooded area away from houses. Usually works.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Check a sat map first though. Sometimes those wooded areas have been felled and look like a tree graveyard
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm with Ben. In the Chilterns, the first place that ticks most of the boxes will be where I stop.

- just a dull roar from the nearest motorway
- <10 mins from the gastro pub where reservations have been made
- 4G signal and/or wifi access
- trees to shield you from the bridleway so the morning horsey folk and Barbour-clad dog walkers don't get all bothered

That will do then.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How do you decide by lookin on map that somewhere has potential?
The map will tell you if there's a flat bit, how close you are to farms, buildings, footpaths etc. It will tell you whether there's likely to be any natural shelter and how near water is. It will give you a reasonable indication of what the ground conditions are (boggy etc). In fact, the map should largely tell you most things you'll need to know - it's not always right but more often than not, it'll produce some good results.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's pretty much how I do it. Though I add a bit of satellite to that to work out what that flat bit seems to be covered with.