"Tool" Roll?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

"Tool" Roll?

Post by Richard G »

I've noticed more and more that packing my frame bag is an exercise in futility, especially as once I've used some of the items in there, everything seems to rattle around (or I need to stuff it full of padding).

So I'm thinking that some sort of tool roll made out of a light material may be a good bet. I reckon I'd want to fit my pegs, poles, bike pump and multitool in there as an absolute minimum. That way the stuff I take every time is always present, and I always know where it lives. Should reduce the need to worry about padding too as the other things wont rattle around so much if held down by what's in there.

Anyone done anything like this? Did it work out?
whitestone

Re: "Tool" Roll?

Post by whitestone »

I've a downtube bag - just about visible in this shot

It was made by one of the smaller manufacturers but it's not yet on their website. Holds a Topeak Mini Mountain Morph pump, spare innertube, multi-tool, tyre levers, small bottle of chain oil, small bottle of sealant, tubeless repair kit, zip ties.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I suppose the 2 mounting options are top-tube or down-tube as Bob suggests. TT might limit stand over and anything on the underside of the down-tube will need to be fairly hard wearing. I have wondered in the past whether crud catcher mounts and down-tube bottle mounts could prove to be a decent option for mounting something with a semi-rigid back?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sorry, should have been clearer. In this case the aim would be for it to go in my frame bag... then at the end of the day, I pull it out, knowing exactly where my poles and pegs are, and then where they go back. Much like the pole holder Stu made for someone here... but with a few more compartments.

I do like that actual tool roll though. At the moment I'm using a tool bottle, and that looks like a better option (probably gives a bit of downtube protection too).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think the "Pole holder" was made for me. It was made with a mounting strap that would fit across the straps on a Wildcat Lion harness. For the HT I'm attaching it to the front part of the top tube using a Backcountry Research Super 8 strap http://www.cyclorise.com/store/p8/super_8 as my waterproof is going under the Lion's straps.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, should have been clearer. In this case the aim would be for it to go in my frame bag... then at the end of the day, I pull it out, knowing exactly where my poles and pegs are, and then where they go back. Much like the pole holder Stu made for someone here... but with a few more compartments.

I do like that actual tool roll though. At the moment I'm using a tool bottle, and that looks like a better option (probably gives a bit of downtube protection too).
Doohh I've just been in the workshop measuring up now ... I got to thinking about something in carbon :wink:

EDIT: Have you seen 'Sticky Pods' Richard? http://www.gonebikingmad.co.uk/m20b0s50 ... Sticky-Pod

May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Have seen those, but they wouldn't fit in my frame bag, and I don't really want any more weight in my pack / on my back.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Do you have access to a sewing machine? A tool roll is basically a piece of material folded back on itself with straight runs of stitching to form the pockets, you just have to leave some slack in the material between each run to be able to form the pockets.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just tie them together with a toe strap...
tomwardill

Post by tomwardill »

Pretty straightforward with a sewing machine and some velcro.

I made this with no sewing experience after buying myself a machine:

https://blog.howrandom.net/2017/03/25/s ... ag-part-1/

It's a saddle bag, but it'd actually work better as a standalone bag.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, if I'm honest I'll be getting the missus to make it for me. She's pretty damn good with a sewing machine.

Was just interested in what others had done. :)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got a home made peg bag which also holds my Bear Paws. I made it mainly so as to keep the dirty pegs off the rest of the stuff in the frame bag and also I take the pegs out as I put them in the ground and put them bag in as I take them up, avoids having to search for a missing peg. When I was making it the wife asked if i was taking up darts :lol: It does weigh 10g though so maybe a luxury item :wink:

For my poles I've got 2 pieces of elastic across the top of the inside of the frame bag, spaced so I can slide the poles in (I think I've copied this from somewhere?) which not only keeps the organised but also means I can get them out without taking anything else out. It's such an efficient way to carry them that on more than one occasion weeks after a bivi I'll reach into the frame bag (I leave it on most of the time) to find I've been carrying my poles around, I'd never make it as a roady as I didn't notice the extra weight.

Before I had my Pole-A-Bear poles my originals were just a touch too long to fit in the frame bag. I had a MYOG pole bag out of VX21 with 2 rectangular rings on the side. This could be strapped on the side of the top tube using the same straps that hold the frame bag on.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Both good ideas. Nice.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

For my poles I've found a plastic cup that the poles fit into and will slide down the seat tube. A piece of string passes through the centre of the cup and threads through one of the poles. The whole thing drops down the seat tube and the seat post goes on top. The string is to pull the poles back out. So poles packed away without taking up any space.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
jameso

Post by jameso »

I use a small washkit bag from an Eva Air flight. It's like a trad roadie saddle-mount tool roll in construction but thinner fabric. Durable though and takes up little space. Won't take pegs though. I'd get in contact with someone like Jordan at BigTop bags and see if he has anything or could knock one up.

The thing I find an issue with tool rolls is the lack of seperation of the pockets means when full they can be hard to roll up. Cunning placement of pump and pegs might work to help overcome this though.

My BB pole just gets tucked in along the frame bag / top tube area, held by the frame bag straps. Easy access, no storage space taken up.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I like the idea, though I also like not having to remove my frame bag. ;)
jameso

Post by jameso »

I don't mean remove the frame bag .. that would be daft : ) just tuck it under the ends of the velcro then fasten back down, assuming you left them overlapping enough for both ends to wrap over to the other side/seam you only need peel the upper end up a bit. Or just use a few extra pieces of 2-sided velcro to hold the poles in that area - basically it'd just one pole strapped against a larger tube.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I have used these waterproof bags to keep tools in, don't last too long but for that sort of money they are disposable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3X-Waterproof ... ilitary-UK
"What is man but the sum of his memories"