Cumulus 350 or 450?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Clanton

Cumulus 350 or 450?

Post by Clanton »

I have nearly convinced myself I need a quilt. In fact was about to get a Cumulus 450 following all the threads on here except they are currently out of stock!
So now trying to decide if I wait till it comes back in or go for the 350, which is lighter and cheaper....
UK use, probably mainly three season use, maybe going as far as a crack at the Cairngorm Loop ITT next year. Will be used with tarp and bivi, and on top of a Thermarest Neoair Xtherm.

First trip was to be Wales this June.

So it the 350 a good and more versatile option for my needs or should i hold out for the 450?
Teetosugars

Re: Cumulus 350 or 450?

Post by Teetosugars »

I've just gone for a 250.
Reckon that would cover everything I'll ever do..
But I'd reckon 350 would be more than enough for pretty much every event?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

How warm/cold a sleeper are you? I've the 150 which is good for me for summer use to about 5C. I'd be fine with the 350 for three season use. Pretty sure someone on here has the 450.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

I sleep warm and am fine in a 250 down to about 5 with an uninsulated mat. It'll be interesting to see what its like with the NeoAir i just bought off MarkyMark

Thats use down south though...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I sleep cold (need to keep my feet warm)
450 for spring & late autumn
250 summer (from now onwards)
Both together in winter
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Insulated/uninsulated mats do make a difference with quilts - an uninsulated mat is OK for late spring onwards once the ground has properly warmed up but it's a bit grim when things are cooler.

Since you say you already have a 250, why not get a 150 and when it gets cooler use one as a wrapper on the other? I do this with a PHD Minimus bag and the 150 (both similarly rated) and the combination is good to -5/6C or so. Below that I get the 5 season bag out! Although quilts have a larger usable temperature range than bags getting one rated for cold temps could mean it getting very little use in practice - my 5 season bag has had roughly 1 night a year on average, nearly all abroad in seriously cold conditions. It's rated to -30C so it's really not suitable for this country! I've posted on several threads about layering the PHD and Cumulus :roll: :lol:

Have a read of this article https://support.enlightenedequipment.co ... t-Layering for more information about layering. There's also some interesting comments about what rating bag/quilt to go for in this review http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/enlight ... ma-review/ (you'll have to convert the temperatures used to a more modern system yourself :wink: )
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I sleep cold and can happily use a 350 most of the year unless it's very cold.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

1+ For the Cumulus 350.
With a decent mat, Exped Downmat, Ive had mine down to nearing freezing. I do sleep warm and thats with merino base layer, down hat, and down socks.
I have a Cumulus Magic 125 that I use as a liner on seriously cold outings but I think that has only been out twice!
Great quilts whichever way you go.
Clanton

Post by Clanton »

Thanks all - I have ordered the 350. Looking forward to it!