May 20/21 Cairngorms inner loop + some, 110 miles approx.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

May 20/21 Cairngorms inner loop + some, 110 miles approx.

Post by Ray Young »

Meet Blair Atholl Fri eve and get a few miles in before bivi or meet early Sat morning. Route is, head East reversing the end of the outer loop as far as Geldie Burn. Follow the inner loop clockwise to Aviemore for food/beer in the evening then a few more miles to find a bivi spot. Sunday, continue the inner loop clockwise back to Geldie Burn then head South to finish down Glen Tilt. Easy pace. Anyone interested?.
Blair512

Re: May 20/21 Cairngorms inner loop + some, 110 miles approx

Post by Blair512 »

Possibly interested Ray, I'll have to check with the misses and see if we are doing anything that weekend. Need a new front wheel as well, my attempt at the capital trail finished mine off!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

What size wheel? I have a spare 29er you can borrow if needs be.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Its an old school 26er. Got Gills birthday to buy and if there's funds left I'll get one ordered. On the other had it's only a week away and she's not told me what she wants so I might just buy her a front wheel and then borrow it! :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blair512 wrote:On the other had it's only a week away and she's not told me what she wants so I might just buy her a front wheel and then borrow it! :-bd
Do that and she'll definitely not want to do anything with you that weekend, good plan. :lol:
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Blair, I've got some 26" wheels in the loft if you need to borrow one. I have Qr or 20mm maxle if any good to you?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray - don't follow the CL route backwards from Blair Atholl just head straight up Glen tilt. The CL route involves a fair bit of up and down with not much in the way of fun descents (the zig zags down from Fealar lodge to the tilt are unrideable)
Sounds a like a good route tho, always fancied reversing the Bynack more to Glen derry section. Loch Pityoulish will make for a good bivvy spot on the outer loop just outside Aviemore
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Ray - don't follow the CL route backwards from Blair Atholl just head straight up Glen tilt. The CL route involves a fair bit of up and down with not much in the way of fun descents (the zig zags down from Fealar lodge to the tilt are unrideable). Sounds a like a good route tho, always fancied reversing the Bynack more to Glen derry section. Loch Pityoulish will make for a good bivvy spot on the outer loop just outside Aviemore
Thanks for the info and I will take your advice. I have been up Glen Tilt before so thought I'd do something different. It will make the route shorter but that gives more time for beer in Aviemore, :-bd .
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Just plotted this properly on bikehike using Glen Tilt going both North and South as per htriders suggestion. Still coming in at 110 miles but I have included a detour to Braemar for lunch on day 2.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Obviously if your in Aviemore for beer drop me a message. Would be good to go for one if I am not working. :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Gari wrote:Obviously if your in Aviemore for beer drop me a message. Would be good to go for one if I am not working. :-bd
No probs Gari.

ps. do you know if Ryvoan bothy is open? mba site says access is restricted during nesting season.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gari wrote:Obviously if your in Aviemore for beer drop me a message. Would be good to go for one if I am not working. :-bd
+1

Always good to put a face to a name!

I've never known Ryvoan be closed, but I'd never rely on it anyway.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote:I've never known Ryvoan be closed, but I'd never rely on it anyway.
No, I won't be relying on it either as it's a small bothy in a popular area. Could be good for some evening company though then kip outside.
Be good to meet you too for a beer.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Sorry chaps but I'll have to miss this one out I'm afraid, we already have plans that weekend.

Thanks for the offer of the wheel Mike, I really should buy one soon. The road bike's getting a bit boring!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks for letting me know Blair. If no one else puts their hand up I think I may go up Thursday evening and do the whole route coming back Sunday.

I could go to the Bike Station and see if they have anything of quality in 26" wheels Blair or do you want new?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Ray Young wrote: I could go to the Bike Station and see if they have anything of quality in 26" wheels Blair or do you want new?
What's the bike station Ray? Not fussy for new really, just something that works. Don't really want to spend to much money on what appears to becoming an obsolete wheel size!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The Bike Station is a charity bicycle shop. People donate bikes n bits which they do up and sell on. I can check out front wheels and give you a ring if I find anything suitable, I've had some bargain stuff from them in the past.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Aye that would be good Ray, as long as it's not to far out of your way.

Heading out bothying with Gill this weekend, hoping I can limp it 7 miles in and out again otherwise I might have a long walk!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ok, I'll take a look.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Enjoy your ride this weekend Ray and anyone else who's joining in, I'm thoroughly jealous!

Rob Mac kindly gave me a wheel so the spesh will be back on the trail next week when I can afford a centre lock disk to fit the hub. Absolute top fella! :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Well I'm currently sitting in a pub in Aviemore enjoying a couple of well earned pints. Been a very hard day.
I came up early as my stepdaughter asked if I could drive the horse trailer to a show Sun and as no one else showed an interest I said yes.
Another hard day tomorrow, just got to drag myself out of this pub and find a bivi spot now.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice one Ray - if your still in communication check out Loch Pityoulish just up the Nethy bridge road from Aviemore on the CL route. Or head into Abernethy forest if you are going that way.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Shoulda said, I'd have joined you for a beer!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Nice one Ray - if your still in communication check out Loch Pityoulish just up the Nethy bridge road from Aviemore on the CL route. Or head into Abernethy forest if you are going that way.
Ended up at Ryvoan after deciding to get as many miles in on day one as possible and glad I did. Slept outside as though there was room for me four guys had alcohol and were in for a late night, I was shattered so was in my bag by 9.45.
ScotRoutes wrote:Shoulda said, I'd have joined you for a beer!
Sorry Scotroutes and Gari, I wasn't sure if I'd make Aviemore and really only stopped for food but ended up having two pints as well.

Blair, you'll be glad you had something on with Gill, today was a mare as "Today I will mostly be walking my bike". I did 40 miles today and reckon I walked half of it. Took me 10 hours! Will do a write up soon.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Bynack and through Glen Derry perchance?!
You'll be glad it wasn't today, a tad damp. Look forward to the write up.