WRT - lights?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlexGold

WRT - lights?

Post by AlexGold »

Yes, a last minute panic thread...

.. Is anyone fitting lights for the WRT? With all the bags on the bike I'm finding it unlikely they'll fit. Can fit a back light to my rucksack but I can't imagine there's riding through the night so it's there any great problem with being lightless? I have a head torch for camp.
Asposium

Re: WRT - lights?

Post by Asposium »

AlexGold wrote:Yes, a last minute panic thread...

.. Is anyone fitting lights for the WRT? With all the bags on the bike I'm finding it unlikely they'll fit. Can fit a back light to my rucksack but I can't imagine there's riding through the night so it's there any great problem with being lightless? I have a head torch for camp.
nah
taking a tiny head torch for camp, but that's it.
don't intend to be riding at 8pm
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Whether you'll need them is likely to come down to who you're riding with, and what they're planning on doing, I'd have thought. I'd take the view that it'll be alright on the night, unless you know folks you'll be with are going to be riding into the darkness?

I'm probably going to be turning up at the Star Inn in the dark tomorrow night, via a bridleway, so I'm definitely taking mine.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Id make sure you have a rear light or two. More to been seen as a minimum, especially if your on a road.

Depending on cloud conditions it can become dark from 8.

You may be surprised how dark it can be once away from civilisation.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

I'm taking mine, if only for the experience of off-road night riding. I'm expecting a couple of long days in the saddle and to get to where I want to camp is going to take a bit of darkness, I think.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Will go with the back light then, hope we'll be well settled in at camp before the sun sets!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chew wrote:Id make sure you have a rear light or two. More to been seen as a minimum, especially if your on a road.
Some of the roads have surprisingly fast traffic even if it is fairly infrequent.
Chew wrote:You may be surprised how dark it can be once away from civilisation.
Well you do live in Yorkshire :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'd definitely take a light, even if only for a back up - why ruin your trip but not being able to stop in a pub for a big dinner and still ride to your bivi spot? A couple of hours light just might be enough to sort that

Plus if it vaguely wooded, covered, cloudy etc it'll darker than iudeal

I'll be taking an Exposure Diablo and Joystick but am not planning on any real night riding. Plus a COB rear light
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've always got some form of lights on my bike even if only going out for the day. Even in the day if it really chucks it down and you've got to ride on a road lights make you that much more visible. If it's just to be seen by then any position on the front is better than nothing. I once had to improvise with my head torch set to flashing on the front (I put it around my dry bag before the bag whet in the harness) when I was caught out on a ride where I thought I wouldn't need lights, I've been better prepared since :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Haven't done the WRT for a while but on a ride like that, I certainly would take some lights.

What happens if a section takes longer than expected or you take a different 'turning' as that path looks more exciting than the original plan or dare I say it, you have an extra pint in the pub...?
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

im just taking my alpkit head torch asx i can ride by that but its small and not power hungry , and a small light on the back of my drybag , standard
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

I have a feeling our group is not going to be spending much time in pubs, unfortunately!