R.I.P. Mike Hall

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mechanicaldope

Re: R.I.P. Mike Hall

Post by mechanicaldope »

I honestly can't say that until today I had heard a great amount about Mike. I had seen a few posts from him on STW but nothing which marked him out as different to most other posters. I guess that this was just a sign of how humble this guy was as, from reading all I have about him today, he seems to have been a magnificent man. I think the posts and messages you have all left about him do him a great honour. It is not just his family that need thoughts and wishes but you, his friends, as well. This must be a difficult time for you all as well and hope you're all OK. RIP Mike.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Jurassic pusher wrote:I am going for a ride tomorrow, when the hills get steep and the showers come I will smile and be grateful to be on my bike loving what I`m doing and think of Mike.
Amen to that.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sat on a platform in mid Wales waiting for a train I got a text with "horrid news from Australia" from my wife. I spent the next hour not entirely successfully suppressing tears for someone I'd "met" for a total of five seconds.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
philipft

Post by philipft »

I have never met Mike Hall, but I've followed his dot around the world since he won the round the world bike race. He inspired me to ride further and faster, ending up like many on here, sleeping in a bag in ditches by the side of the trail so I could stay out and ride my bike longer. Seeing his dot not moving has torn me apart, spent most of today in tears, gutted he's gone, and so so sorry for his friends and family. As per Stuart Rider, been watching inspired to ride over and over, and thats what he has done, Inspired to Ride! Angry that we still have drivers who won't slow down when passing cyclists. Gutted I won't get to meet him in this years HT550. I guess we are all racing for second place now, as we would never have beaten him in a month of Sundays. Anyway, I've put my fatter tyres back on my bike today and Im going riding in the morning till the sun has gone down.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just about to sit down and watch Inspired to Ride. I suspect it's not going to be an easy watch.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tom and I are gutted. There have been many tears today.

I wish I had a picture of the two riding up the long hill at Strathpuffer chatting together, smiling.
psling

Post by psling »

There are a lot of tributes out there but this one on you tube is worthy of a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0yCS4TkAW8
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Si

Post by Si »

Hopefully Sagan's media agent will change the category that video is in soon.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Only met Mike very briefly at the Church & Chapel event this year, but had followed his adventures and achievements for a few years. A truly inspirational character whose legacy will live on.
SRS

Post by SRS »

I'd never met Mike and was only vaguely familiar with his achievements. But I had been reading the news updates from the IndyPac and was stunned when I learnt that he'd been killed. To have his life cut short like that is just tragic. I can only imagine what his family and friends are going through. Donated.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Just been pointed towards this film from Mike while in Australia around this time of year back in 2013.

He didn't like the drivers then either

https://youtu.be/_GRUZhBAPPk?t=4m53s
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sent a shiver down my spine. Prescient.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Just watched the film that psling linked to. Many of us will have ridden the bits around the Elan Valley which were in the montage and I was also at the finish of the WCR race when Mike arrived having also made it to the start to see the riders off.

Mike spent some time in Derby with Rolls Royce and he rode with Derby Mercury who I am a member of for a time. I shared a pic on the club website of Mike, myself and Martin another Merc rider in front of the Banff Springs Hotel before we set off on the 2011 Tour Divide Race. He only beat me by a week - one of my better results on a bike perhaps.

Cannot add to the comments above and last shared a few words with him in Llanbrynmair in January wishing him well in the IPWR.

Ride on.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Been out of touch via occasional wifi here until the other day. Can hardly believe this is true. Ride on Mike.. You did more than you probably realise for this whole thing and set the standard in so many ways.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Nice touch by Alan re HT entry list.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Posting for those who aren't on facebook.

From Patricia Hall on the TCR facebook page;

We have been given the go ahead by the coroners to proceed with the funeral. We intend to have a family and friends service followed by a celebration of Mike's life here in Harrogate on May 2nd We would like as many people as possible to share this with us. I will pm details of the time and venue if you wish to attend Obviously we need to know details of who is coming so we can provide for you.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'll be in attendance.

Unsure of plans at present, but an open invitation for anyone to stay over at mine in Halifax with some kind of Mike inspired ride over to Harrogate
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I was out riding on 'that' Sunday and am happy to say that he rode along. In the first 5-6 h there was hardly a minute my thoughts weren't with him. I went the furthest distance I ever rode on my ssp in a day, enjoyed every second and it felt so so good. 166 km and a bit beyond 1700 m of climbing. Looking forward to more. He truly inspired and he still does.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Chew - I'll probably join you, family dependant.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Chew, I'll be travelling back from up a bank holiday up north but pencil me in too.