What else to consider

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

What else to consider

Post by Mart »

OK so Im now moving with the seasons and going (for the first time ever ) for some summer tyres - Looking to get something faster rolling ...but what?

Currently looking at Maxis Crossmark 2 or Ardent Race, for a back wheel. Possibly an Ardent up front for some grip
Also considering Vittoria Mezcals (or a Saguaro)

Anyone got anything else I should consider? Probably going 2.25 ish on width ideally with some sidewall protection
Suggestions and recommendations please, Ta Mart
2924 miles per Gallon
whitestone

Re: What else to consider

Post by whitestone »

I know a lot of folk like Maxxis but I didn't get on with the Ardent in particular. I use Bontrager tyres: XR4 front, XR3 rear during winter then when it dries out XR2/XR1 for a bit of faster rolling. These are all Team Issue - there's a difference but I think the Team Issue are the stronger sidewalled tyres.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mart

Post by Mart »

Cool thanks - will have a look
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I recently bought some Vittoria Peyote from On-One, I was so impressed that I bought another pair but more impressive is the fact they're now a tenner each.

Fast rolling yet grippy enough, nice profile, not heavy and tubeless ready.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYVIPEYFT9/ ... lding-tyre
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Same as Whitestone with the summer tyres (although I'm thinking that the team issue are lighter, whilst the SE have the re-enforced sidewalls)
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Blimey, that Vittoria is cheap!

I have 2.1 WTB Nanos for the summer. But with 2 29ers to worry about a set of those VIttorias looks quite a good idea for one of my bikes

Actually now I think about I have a crossmark and an ikon in the garage somewhere, that might be a better option (as I have them already)
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I'm a big fan of schwalbe racing Ralph's, roll quickly and seem to give more grip than the shallow tread suggests they should. Also seem pretty robust to me.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Racing Ralphs are great tyres - far tougher than they look. I found them a total bastard to fit to some Stans Crest rims - aching cramped thumbs and broken tyre level territory - but once on in dry conditions they're the dogs.
I'm just going outside ...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Maxxis Ikons here. In fact i never got round to swapping mine off this winter (they are not a mud tyre!)

2.35s come up huge on a 35mm rims and theexo sidewalls are tough.

For the HT550 I gambled and used a Maxxis Pace exo for the rear, hardly any tread but grippy enough and fast as, it stayed on all summer and for relentless 24 too. If conditions look half decent it'll be going back on again this year.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ardent/Crossmark is my summer tyre mix.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Maxxis Ikons are good, however they are a bugger to get hold of (in the right version - there are about 24 different flavours), and they are really pricey. And the super light non-EXO a waste of time; too fragile. I'm going for Schwalbe this year (TE, Snakeskin); used Racing Ralphs for years on the 26er, and they are very similar to the Ikons, but much easier to source and about half the price online. Might even try a Thunder Burt on the back - apparently very quick but probably not going to last long.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Crossmark work well for me, on second set after several happy years on first....
Sarah
JezS

Post by JezS »

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews
:geek:

Notwithstanding what it might say on this link, I like Racing Ralph as a good around summer tyre. Fastest I have used have been Specialized Renegade, but you have to KNOW that it's going to be bone dry - not great for the British summer.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Maxxis Ikons are good, however they are a bugger to get hold of (in the right version - there are about 24 different flavours), and they are really pricey. And the super light non-EXO a waste of time; too fragile. I'm going for Schwalbe this year (TE, Snakeskin); used Racing Ralphs for years on the 26er, and they are very similar to the Ikons, but much easier to source and about half the price online. Might even try a Thunder Burt on the back - apparently very quick but probably not going to last long.

True Maxxis are spendy and there's many varieties. The 3c Exo are the ones to buy.

If you are going to ride a thunder burt out back you'd better be good ;) only the best riders I've seen can get away with them. In terms of both tread and the fragility of them.

Nextdaytyres is you friend for in stock tyres.