Gear advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Gear advice

Post by PaulB2 »

I'm currently gearing up for an overnight trip on my full-sus (100mm travel both ends). I've got an Ortlieb bar bag so I'd planned to get the matching seat pack but the reviews seem mixed as to whether it's suitable for a full-sus bike. Does anyone have any experience with the Ortlieb pack or can they recommend an alternative?
ScotRoutes

Re: Gear advice

Post by ScotRoutes »

Suitability will depend on the space you have between your saddle and the tyre when the suspension is under compression. You can test this by releasing all the air pressure from the shock and cycling it through its travel.

If you've short legs and a FS 29er then it's unlikely it'll work for you. A smaller bag might be better in that case. The Defiant Pearl Pass XS might offer an alternative
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does anyone have any experience with the Ortlieb pack or can they recommend an alternative?
I had one on test. I wasn't a fan.

It's big and requires very careful packing if you want to avoid a 'hinge in the middle' situation ... It appeared that a company who makes panniers felt obliged to make something large enough to fit the contents of panniers in. :wink: I (and others) also struggled to get some of the straps to tighten properly ... I recall one afternoon where Mike and me were both pulling, yet the things refused to budge even when Mike swore at them and I gave the whole thing a full-on Paddington Bear Hard Stare.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It's a medium frame 27.5 though I've got relatively long legs so there's a fair amount of seat post showing. I'll have a look at a smaller pack.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the Ortlieb pack or can they recommend an alternative?
I had one on test. I wasn't a fan.

I gave the whole thing a full-on Paddington Bear Hard Stare.
It's amazing what a Pb hard stare can achieve.....I'm now off to test Mrs Browns gravy

With the litmus paper..... :grin: