R.A.P.H.A. travel. If you thought the clothing was pricey...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: R.A.P.H.A. travel. If you thought the clothing was price

Post by ScotRoutes »

We support (provide bikes and transport) for that holiday. We've been asked to consider doing the Cycling Butler role too.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Talking of premium stuff, imagine a Shand x Rap.ha paint job on a cheap Chinese frame...

£4000 for three shades of dog sick green.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I don't think 4k for a holiday is rediculous. I recon to do the tour divide or trans am you would be dropping 5 -6k all in including a few days before and after. And that's not before you buy a load of new equipment, bike etc, because you would be pretty picky about what you brought.
jameso

Post by jameso »

You could spend 5k but you don't need to. 2k inc flights no probs, 3 tops, assuming no need for a new bike?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I didn't bite as I was convinced this was a spoof! vastly more expensive 'per mile' then the Rafa Ride, but I suppose that's not the point, and you do get to stay in some hotels with ridiculous names...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Justchris wrote:I don't think 4k for a holiday is rediculous. I recon to do the tour divide or trans am you would be dropping 5 -6k all in including a few days before and after. And that's not before you buy a load of new equipment, bike etc, because you would be pretty picky about what you brought.
I saw an estimate on a US forum of $1/mile for the Tour Divide plus transport to the start and from the finish. I've no idea how accurate that is.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

$1/mile for the Tour Divide plus transport to the start and from the finish
Sound high, but maybe. For any ride like that it probably depends how many nights you stay in lodges or motels more than anything else. I don't think the Divide has many places that are Crikey, how much Travel standard though : ) Food and coffee is certainly a bit below French standards..
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Looking like this years Anapurna trip should come to around £1500-2000 including flights ... I know where I'd Rather be cycling (this opinion may change after our return )
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
I didn't bite as I was convinced this was a spoof! vastly more expensive 'per mile' then the Rafa Ride, but I suppose that's not the point, and you do get to stay in some hotels with ridiculous names...
No spoof :-)

We had a dozen (6 couples) on it last year spread through the summer, but that was year 1 of offering it. We do some work with Headwater too. That's a wee bit cheaper but would still be classed as ludicrously expensive compared to bikepacking.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

I have expensive gear - Assos and Crikey, how much. I have less expensive gear - mainly Decathlon stuff. I can't see any difference in quality or feel any in terms of comfort or performance. And in terms of longevity the Decathlon jerseys and bibs seem to be holding up better if anything. At around 25% of the price I can't see the justification for more expensive kit other that fit preference or as a brand statement.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I don't think I'll be admitting in here what the flights for Leadville have cost me. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How do you drown a hipster?

In the mainstream :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

GROAN :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
ton

Post by ton »

I wish they made 'fat bloke Crikey, how much'.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

With all the above comments, I'll be safe in the knowledge that only I'll be the only bear to enter into a chance of winning one of their holidays... :lol:
http://pages.Crikey, how much.cc/monuments
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That, plus the rather interesting URL... :lol:

On those subject. Those bastards didn't send me a badge for completing the Crikey, how much Festive 500.
SRS

Post by SRS »

R.a.p.h.a's financials: http://leanluxe.com/raphas-12-year-fina ... e-learned/

Pre-tax profit margins reached their height in 2012 at 5.4%, and touched a low at in 2015 at 1.31%. For 2016, the pre-tax profit margin was 2.3%.

Production costs accounted for 51% of revenues in 2016.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pre-tax profit margins reached their height in 2012 at 5.4%, and touched a low at in 2015 at 1.31%. For 2016, the pre-tax profit margin was 2.3%.
They could do with putting their prices up.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Perhaps part of their problem is the huge range of products and the fickle fashion market. The seconds store, sorry, "archive clubhouse" in Somerset is always loaded full of gopping fashion clothing (rejected by the premier retail outlet customers) that anybody not visually impaired wouldn't touch with a shitty stick!
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Aren't they the subject of an acquisition bid at the moment? Some sort of venture capitalist or brand acquisition company (or did I just make that up!?!)
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

psling wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Aren't they the subject of an acquisition bid at the moment? Some sort of venture capitalist or brand acquisition company (or did I just make that up!?!)
Read the link above, it's got some details. All falls pretty squarely into my WGAS category. £4k for that holiday might be "realistic" or "appropriate" given what they offer. It's still a sub standard load of stupid money IMO. And you know what they say about opinions ........ :wink: