Wheels 700c v 29er

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

simon72

Wheels 700c v 29er

Post by simon72 »

I am upgrading a hybrid bike for the WRT. It has 700c and I need a new rear wheel that can take 11 speed and a disc compatible with SLX groupset. I want to put xc tyres on it such as the Clement X'Plor MSO 40mm. Ideally I'd like to spend about £100 on the wheel (excluding tyres and rotors).

Everything I search for online seems to be either designated for road use or is a 29er and has a wider rim.

I don't really know what I am doing, this is my first proper DIY upgrade. Ideally I'd like some links to specific wheels I might want to consider. Thanks for your interest and friendly advice.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Wheels 700c v 29er

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

700c / 29" is the same thing - most 29er rims of moderate width will happily accept a 40c tyre. Maybe a WTB i19 rim or a Mavic Cross-ride. I've had 40c on both with no issues.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Your rim needs to be 10mm narrower than the tyre or else tyre sidewalls become exposed as the rim widens the tyre.

Any reason for the 11speed?
I can't tell the difference, and it's likely to make things more expensive.

Something like this (think the pic may be wrong)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-crossride-29-rear-wheel/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPGIROEQ/gi ... c-wheelset

You could buy a pair here for £75.
psling

Post by psling »

Like Stu says, 29" and 700c are the same. For a 40mm tyre you should ideally be looking at an inner rim width of 17mm - 23mm.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Just seen some suitable on eBay - 302243153196 , cheap at the mo, not sure
How durable they'll be though...
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPGIROEQ/gi ... c-wheelset

You could buy a pair here for £75.
I have a set of these. Came with a bike. 75 quid would be better off spent second hand on something else.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have a set of these. Came with a bike. 75 quid would be better off spent second hand on something else
Not good Chris? Out of interest, what's up with them, poorly built?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Make sure you get the correct hub/axle set-up. Yours is presumably 135mm with a standard 9mm quick release.
paramart

Post by paramart »

got 35mm tyres tubless on 29er 719 rims no problem,
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
simon72

Post by simon72 »

That is really helpful, much appreciated!

Yes it is a 135 quick release. The Mavic rims look great. I would be interested to know what you think their failings are @Justchris?

I was thinking of a 1x11 just to cut down on the components that collect mud and also there is a great deal on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod148594 at the moment for a full SLX groupset for £349. Not averse to other options but this seemed like an interesting setup.

The bike I am upgrading is a Scott sub40 ("designed for commuting, trips to the store, and just getting around town"). It was something I picked up 2nd hand up for getting to the train station and it was working great. Then decided to put some XC tyres on and try it as a bivi bike. I did about 200 miles over the south downs and now it is completely fkd. But it was great when it worked and is so much lighter than my other option - a full sus which placed me as the third heaviest bike last time I did the WRT. Hence the upgrade.

I could just buy a new bike but that might raise eyebrows at home. "NOT ANOTHER BIKE!!" etc.. So upgrade seems to be a more tactical/stealthy solution.

Again, thanks for the help. Hope to get this all ready in time for a preparatory WRT test run in early April.

A comfy but heavy ride..
ImageIMG_0691 by Simon Walsh, on Flickr

Sub40. Before and after.
ImageIMG_0839 by Simon Walsh, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0841 by Simon Walsh, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0844 by Simon Walsh, on Flickr
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I had a cycle to work voucher and spent it on a planetx xls. I am delighted with everything but the wheels. The gipiemme-roccia-equipe The combined weight is advertised at 2.4kg, they feel heavier. The rim seems ok but the hub looks poorly made. I think the hub is powder coated, this could be to hide the poor finish on the metal. The spokes are powder coated. Why would you do that, it adds weight for cosmetic reasons. If I was to buy these off the shelf at 75 quid I would feel ripped off.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've also got the same wheels on my Planet X London Road. I had to tighten a couple of spokes early on and there is some corrosion on the nipples now, but... I paid only slightly more for the whole bike than the rrp of a chris king rear hub so I have to be realistic about the quality. Planet X often fit cheap wheels to keep to the required price point and it's easy to upgrade later if you want. I've now done over 1600 winter road miles on rough pot holed and wet roads and the hubs are still running fine, which is over 3 times the distance my dynamo hub lasted on the MTB :sad:

More important than that though, unless I'm missing something Simon's Sub 40's got rim brakes? These are disc wheels. I've not seen a 29er with rim brakes (but I guess they do exist?) so wont rim brake wheels be required?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

sean_iow wrote:More important than that though, unless I'm missing something Simon's Sub 40's got rim brakes? These are disc wheels. I've not seen a 29er with rim brakes (but I guess they do exist?) so wont rim brake wheels be required?
Well spotted that man :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, I've just spotted the V brakes, so would now like to retract everything I said yesterday ... I think Mavic is your friend in this instance. However, I'm now thinking why not just retain the wheels already fitted?
simon72

Post by simon72 »

That is interesting about the planetX wheels. I figured for £75 they are worth a shot and so ordered a pair.

My current rear wheel is completely shot and needs replacement. I noticed that the frame has a rear disc mount (I hope that is what it is?) and so I plan to convert this to disk brakes.

Disc mount?
ImageUntitled by SW, on Flickr