Dulyn Bothy, N Wales. Anyone been there ?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Dulyn Bothy, N Wales. Anyone been there ?

Post by Sarah »

Thinking of heading to Dulyn bothy with a friend [and our dogs] this Saturday, anyone been there ? any feedback, suggestions, hints etc ? Whats it like ?

Wanna come ?!!!

Cheers
Sarah
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Dulyn Bothy, N Wales. Anyone been there ?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Whats it like ?
Haunted by all* accounts.

*some

Seems to be a very popular destination especially at weekends.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

How big is it ? or should I say how many does it sleep ?
Sarah
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not the biggest bothy but it's a reasonable size. How many it sleeps really depends on how friendly everyone is :wink:

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Or how much they like dogs !!!! Taking my old Border Collie and my friend has a malamut/husky type. :shock:

Think we will take logs, brownies and wine too :grin:
Sarah
Mike

Post by Mike »

And a vacuum to clean up all the hairs off the malamute, my friend had one and jeez do they they loose some hair :lol:

On a serious note iv stayed there and it's more than big enough for I'd say 10 folk between the two rooms comfortably... And a few spirits
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

To avoid wet feet I'd take the double track up to Melynllyn from the Eigiau car park. Then drop down the steep path to Llyn Dulyn. This avoids the wet path to on the northern edge of the river (from Dulyn).

You'll be dropping down from here, and yep, take yer own wood!!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Jimengan

Post by Jimengan »

Hi folks, I have been up there twice in the last month and both times there was a man staying there with between four and seven collies, couldn't get an accurate count because when we woke him, he was sleeping in front of the fire and the dogs were everywhere! Possible 20 to 30ish years of age and he might have been Spanish, either way he was utterly bemused by people turning up there in a blizzard and after dark as he could not believe we could navigate our way there in the weather. Dogs were a bit yappy and not really under control. Don't know if he is 'living' there, but if you have dogs it's probably worth being aware. Jim
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Might be worth letting the MBA know about this...

Instagram:

YouTube:
DMOD

Post by DMOD »

Like previously said, I would take th short but very steep path down from the south west side, easy to navigate / cycle after having parked at the top car park.

I have not done the path on th north side of the river, but have also heard that this is marshy.

An vaguely exciting place to sleep. Just as good to kip next to the lake if the Bothy is crowded / weather is ok too.
What could possibly to wrong!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Whats it like ?
Haunted by all* accounts.

*some

Seems to be a very popular destination especially at weekends.
I've heard voices there and had a massive feeling of 'unrest' when I visited! I guess the voices where further down in the valley but couldn't see anyone for hours (or torch light). Left when it was dark and when I turned back, the hut had lights (so I guess someone was nearby!). Don't believe in spirits but that place freaked me out (also heard of people waking up there feeling like someone was strangling them!).

Guess I'm just a wimp :oops:

At Stu says, can be quite the party venue
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks for the info. We had a great time. Nice cosy bothy, roomy and warm fire. Definitely a party spot. We were 2 of 9, all the others from Devon and London, come up for the weekend just to stop there.... Dogs had a great time too.
Sarah
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

all the others from Devon and London, come up for the weekend just to stop there
Amazing - people really travel hundreds of miles to kip in an abandoned farmhouse ... the power of the internet I suppose :roll:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
all the others from Devon and London, come up for the weekend just to stop there
Amazing - people really travel hundreds of miles to kip in an abandoned farmhouse ... the power of the internet I suppose :roll:
Ahem, I travel up from London to death march across tussocks and then sleep in a field full of sheep eggs
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ahem, I travel up from London to death march across tussocks and then sleep in a field full of sheep eggs
I know but that seems to have some kind of higher purpose. Driving for hours, then parking up as near as possible to said bothy before walking a short distance, just so you can tell the world of FB you've been, seems different*.

*Obviously, I'm guessing there but I reckon I'm right. :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

It's okay stu, the new fad will pass with time and their original use for shelter will hopefully be restored to some sort of degree. As long as they aren't trashed before that is. But yeah I'm with you on this!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How long we givin' it :wink:

slarge

Post by slarge »

I've got that t shirt. Wear it when I'm in the urban cafe talking to the barista
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Ditto! Well, from Essex anyways. Suspect I would need to do so mite often if I lived in London! :wink:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Bothies do seem to be one of the "fashions" at the moment, the other being going for a "short ride", i follow a local Norfolk Microadventures group on Facebook, which popped up in the wake of Alistair Humphreys book.

They all drive to a "Wild" beach or wood with full 80 litre rucksacks, walk 500 yards, put up full tents, light a fire, get out party BBQ's, drink a shed load of wine, then pack up and spend next month posting about how wild it was and about getting back to nature, i have tried to point out that they are just camping without paying for a campsite, but they think it is the best thing ever. I once suggested that as i was going to the Peak District with my bike, did any of them want to come and do a proper bivvy, it was like i'd suggested going to the moon!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Or you could put it down to the fact that these guys work and live in London town and they want to experience the bothy buzz. For them it might be completely new and unexplored so to tell their world what they have done, fair play. For those of us who treat a bothy or bivvy as a normal weekend, yes it does seem odd and bizarre why peeps would travel so far in a car and then walk a little bit to stay in 'our back yard'. But let's be honest, the first few times we done it we shouted about it. I mean let's what we do on this forum! They are only being inspired by what is posted on Internet forums....... ;)

Instagram:

YouTube:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe there is a level of 'normalisation' Jeff but the thing I struggle with is, the bothy as a destination in its own right. For me, a bothy has always been a smaller part of something bigger. I can understand someone wanting to stay at one but parking as close as possible to minimise the walk-in, just to stay at one ... that seems odd and comes awfully close to the modern obsession of 'T shirt collecting'. :wink:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've got 8 WRT Tshirts.
Does that make me a collector?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got 8 WRT Tshirts.
Does that make me a collector?
You know what I mean ... I'm obviously not talking literal T shirts.

Actually, your 'collection' makes you very special, in a special kind of way.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I think most people know I'm very special. :roll: