Esi chunky v racers edge

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Solo

Esi chunky v racers edge

Post by Solo »

I had some racers edge grips in the past. They were ok but never offered the fabled comfort I'd heard so much about from ESI grips.

On reflection perhaps they may have a touch too skinny for my long fingers. Anyway I'm tempted to try some chunky versions. Partly due to the colour as I'm sad like that :oops:

Has anyone tried both? Are the chunky better at shock absorbing?

TIA
Richard G

Re: Esi chunky v racers edge

Post by Richard G »

I've gone off them completely. Tried both sizes but these days I'm back to normal grips.

Too fragile, didn't really help with comfort, and I never found them that grippy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Velo something-or-other foam 'wood look' grips from On-One. Much cheapness, comfier than Esi, longer lasting ... and they really do look like wood :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I dislike the ESI grips in our climate. In the dry they are great, comfy enough, gripy etc. So in typical dry, american style rides, great!

However, as soon as it gets wet and in particular, muddy, all scene of grip goes and its been so bad that my had has come off the bars, at speed on a decent. I know others who have experienced this. ESI grips become very slick with clay on them. Also, as others have said, easy to rip chunks out of them.
Solo

Post by Solo »

In my shallow, colour infused world I'm also looking at superstar grinder grips. Any experience with these?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Don't really like the thin ESI grips. Not tried the fatties but I'm now giving Ergon a go. Superstar grips are OK in my experience but not quite as comfy or durable asthe ODI equivalent.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Just over a year ago I got some Ritchey WCS True Grip Ergo Locking grips for about £5 just as a fill in until I got some ESI Chunkies.
The ESI ChunKies are still in their packing and the Ritchey grips are still on the loops.
They are too small for loops but some how they work.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Grips are a personal thing. I love ESI and the like and have never had problems with them. I borrowed an Orange Four last week with Oranges Strange lock-ons and they ruined an otherwise excellent bike.

I think I need to seek out some ODI attacks again!
Solo

Post by Solo »

ODI Attacks!! I have them on my retro singlespeed.

With that in mind these look like the lock equivalent:
http://www.moovebikeco.com/lockon-grips-wave-mtb