Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rich.mike

Re: Films - what would you like to see?

Post by rich.mike »

ootini

Post by ootini »

One thing I've noticed is usually lacking in these sort of productions (and I completely understand why) is the soundtrack. Bikepacking films usually involve breathtaking scenery, huge vistas etc... Now think about Holywood, bug budget productions that share those aesthetics and the one thing you'll notice is incredible soundtracks.
Artists I think would work on a bikepacking film (including one example piece Youtube linked), as long as you don't mind being sued in to next week;

M83 - Wait < The drums! From Ringo Starr to Carl Palmer in one song! Outro < This works too.
Trevor Jones - Promentory
John Williams - Opening theme from Out of Africa
Sigur Ros - Glossoli < The video is a master class in filter use and colour grading.
John Murphy - Adagio in D Minor
Peace -1998 < An indie post rock band covering a trance classic and it works so well.
Mum - K-Half noise
David Julyan - Anything from the Descent soundtrack
Ennio Morricone - L'Estasi Del'Orro (perfect death march / type 2 fun music)
Explosions in the sky - First breath after coma
and the man himself Mr Hans Zimmer - Time / Journey to the line < I think you'll get the point at around 4:20 < Hans Zimmer basically perfected the concept of "simple but effective"... very effective.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Interesting you should post this. I've got an idea for a narrative based bikepacking film that would tell the story of trying to complete a certain route in under 24 hours. Would mainly have no speech and is inspired by a particular piece of music. Which I find very evocative it has a chilled build up, a more pacey up tempo early stage then has a crazy breakdown in the middle (the night section of course) then returns to a blissed out part after that (dawn)

I guess it would be more like a music video than a bikepacking film. I have pitched it to some people who have the skills to make it and it naught just happen...
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

I am pulling together a film of the Braunton150 with some local film makers who do some high end stuff.

I thought I would cover all of the key points. Nice boutique coffee machine and single origin brew, long beards, sleeve tatts and custom steel single speeds..

On a serious note I will be hoping to interview people before the race and after and also capture footage on individual helmet mounted GoPros.

Please get in touch If you don't mind speaking into a camera and could spare a little time before and after the race. There would be a single origin coffee in it :ugeek:
ootini

Post by ootini »

ianfitz wrote:Interesting you should post this. I've got an idea for a narrative based bikepacking film that would tell the story of trying to complete a certain route in under 24 hours. Would mainly have no speech and is inspired by a particular piece of music. Which I find very evocative it has a chilled build up, a more pacey up tempo early stage then has a crazy breakdown in the middle (the night section of course) then returns to a blissed out part after that (dawn)

I guess it would be more like a music video than a bikepacking film. I have pitched it to some people who have the skills to make it and it naught just happen...
Which piece?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

it has a chilled build up, a more pacey up tempo early stage then has a crazy breakdown in the middle (the night section of course) then returns to a blissed out part after that (dawn)
Sounds a bit like jazz :???:

Does anyone remember the 80's TV program with Dave Lee Travis, where film makers had to produce music videos for 60's and 70's songs that never had them ... perhaps we could do something similar? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ootini wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Interesting you should post this. I've got an idea for a narrative based bikepacking film that would tell the story of trying to complete a certain route in under 24 hours. Would mainly have no speech and is inspired by a particular piece of music. Which I find very evocative it has a chilled build up, a more pacey up tempo early stage then has a crazy breakdown in the middle (the night section of course) then returns to a blissed out part after that (dawn)

Which piece?

It is like jazz. Keeping it under my hat for now though :wink:
ootini

Post by ootini »

ianfitz wrote:
ootini wrote:

Which piece?

It is like jazz. Keeping it under my hat for now though :wink:
Nice :wink:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just stumbled across this 'bikepacking film'. After watching, it appears to actually be nothing to do with bikepacking and is simply a thinly disguised advert with additional non-descript music and just a little too much 'perfect'.

https://www.facebook.com/Mpora/videos/1 ... 094987854/
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just stumbled across this 'bikepacking film'. After watching, it appears to actually be nothing to do with bikepacking and is simply a thinly disguised advert with additional non-descript music and just a little too much 'perfect'.

https://www.facebook.com/Mpora/videos/1 ... 094987854/
Yeah I saw that the other day. It's just an AlpKit advert.

One thing I'd like to see in a bikepacking movie would be a good balance between the good: Breath taking vistas, life affirming stuff, and the bad: death marches, rain, sub standard breaking... a 50/50 split should be fair.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dave Bs HT550 report was pretty much perfect for showing both sides.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Just for ootini, a bkepacking video with "First breath after coma" as a soundtrack. I think it goes well with the images
https://vimeo.com/25943565
Great little video of a big adventure.
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

This? :lol:
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Barry Godin has posted another couple of DIY corkers including some scottish touring action https://vimeo.com/202294207