"Audax chat" thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

atk

Re: "Audax chat" thread

Post by atk »

Prep for the MP hasn't quite gone to plan - DNS'd the Tan Hill 600 after a little over-the-bars a couple of days beforehand, swollen knee and shoulder wouldn't have got round. Busy week at work after than and a weekend away in Berlin means there's been no bike time since Three Steps to Seven. Hoping a few hours tomorrow will feel ok then it's packing, route notes and avoiding getting on the scales for the next 5 days... Not really thought about it much, not decided on bike set up which is a little worrying (mostly depends on how shoulder feels tomorrow), kit or sleeping, other than keeping it light if possible. Might stick an 30 or 32 on the back too.

Not hugely confident I'll make it round at this point, if I do I expect it'll be a full value ride. Intention is to start get the first two days out of the way to tick off a couple of this year's cycling aims, hopefully there's enough in the legs for the rest...

DrMekon - I think I met you on the Three Steps... I'd just rolled out of a field a little way after the Aust control having had a few hours sleep and then again at the service station for breakfast... Will say hi properly on Friday when I'm hopefully a little more awake!
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Oh - it was you that bivvied! And I'd been lording it up in the travellodge with hot shower and a breakfast box :oops:

Was barely holding my sub standard together on Three Steps - terrible "GI distress" from Omeprazole.Am feeling considerably more healthy since taking a "holiday" from my meds, and looking forwards to the ride. Haven't ridden with MarcusJB or SimonP from YACF since Pendle600 3 years ago. Should be fun.
atk

Post by atk »

You weren't the only one keen to convey the delights of the Travelodge! Thankfully I think most in the village hall had an equal quality of sleep to me, a fair few napping on the grass when I arrived at the war memorial.

Little ride today, knee felt fine, shoulder still a little sore but considerably better with this set up...

Now to sort out some less-flexy brake levers and try to remember DT shifters go the other way to the bars ends I had before :/
atk

Post by atk »

Thinking ahead, hoping to ride this in August, most likely camping over before/after: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-214/
Will

Post by Will »

Did my first Audax this weekend, Hailsham Hills and Mills - a short one but testing for me with plenty of climbing in a short distance.

It was a lovely atmosphere , everyone I spoke to was encouraging and helpful, especially working out the initially impenetrable codes on the route sheet and information controls !

Will
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Good work Will. 200km next?

I'm doing some ad-hoc audaxing this year to tie in with some other stuff that requires actual 'training'. Planning at least the local 200, 300 and 600 but busy Gravel Dashing on the weekend of the 400, so might ride it as a perm in August. Got my sights on the Ultra Randonneur Hall of Fame now, 8 years so far so maybe done my 10 SR years by May 2018...we'll see.

CBA with London-Edinburgh-London, but I think I know of at least 2 others on here that are doing it...? :-bd
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Will wrote:Did my first Audax this weekend, Hailsham Hills and Mills - a short one but testing for me with plenty of climbing in a short distance.

It was a lovely atmosphere , everyone I spoke to was encouraging and helpful, especially working out the initially impenetrable codes on the route sheet and information controls !

Will
My sister did that with a bunch of mates - heard good things.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Did my first 'proper' Audax a couple of weeks back, the Swaffham QE2 100k. I have ridden a few by pinching the gpx files. :wink: Now I'm a member in should get my act together and register my rises as diy perms.

I have also signed up for the BCM and ELE. :-bd
atk

Post by atk »

If anyone's around and has the opportunity to ride this I'd strongly recommend you do! https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=101247.0

A 400 might seem imposing but John's events are very well organised and supported, the route looks good and JP is bringing the Van of Delights! Potentially the best-catered event in the UK? Camping at the start for dirtbags, hotel nearby for those who prefer a little luxury.

Bit disappointed I won't be able to ride it. Will try and get a few rides in with the Kiwi Randonneurs (they have a "gravel" category too!) to make up for it...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Yes seen the National 400.

If someone wanted to do that route as a DIY, would it be frowned upon?
chris n

Post by chris n »

At the same time as the National, probably. :wink: Get in touch with John (the organiser) and ask. He's most likely to say it's ok. He may even need people to check the route for him.
atk

Post by atk »

I was going to say that a (possibly unofficial) route check would probably be appreciated but Chris beat me to it!
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

johnnystorm wrote: I have also signed up for the BCM and ELE. :-bd
Got entries in for BCM and LEL too, along with my sis and her BF. Also got entries in for 3 coasts and Pendle, with a view to the 4x600 hyper non-award.

Annoyingly, looks like insurance from my RTA isn't going to appear any time soon. Any advice on getting an interim payment would be great - other side have yet to admit liability, but he's been charged with driving without due care.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Chew and myself are planning to do the 3 coasts but I am flying to Portugal when the National 400 is on. As Chew says we may look at doing it as a diy in May.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Blackhound wrote:Chew and myself are planning to do the 3 coasts but I am flying to Portugal when the National 400 is on. As Chew says we may look at doing it as a diy in May.
When in May Kevin? I'm interested and would like to tag along if it suits.
Chew

Post by Chew »

A pleasant 200k DIY Audax with Kevin over the weekend.
The early freezing fog was a bit testing, but the sunshine appeared in the afternoon.

No pressure for the Yorkshire edition.....

Ian - Think we're planning mid week in the week of JennRide
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I've done a couple of DIY 200s in March in prep for a return to Wessex audaxing (last attempted in 2010) on the Hardboiled 300 / Dorset Coast 200 double in 2 weeks time. Can't wait :-bd
chris n

Post by chris n »

Dyffers wrote: ... at least 2 others on here that are doing it...? :-bd
:-bd Me and Dr M, I presume.

Got Benjamin Allen's Spring Tonic this weekend then the Dorset Coast the weekend after with Dyffers.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

National 400 entered. :-bd

I rode 200km to my mates on Friday night (bloody cold!) and should've submitted the route as an ECE..... d'oh!
atk

Post by atk »

Anyone been out and about this season? I've avoided dipping into the ride reports on YACF but have caught a glimpse of several events on instagram, I have felt a bit sad to be missing some of the events this year. Hope to get out with the kiwi randonneurs at some point this winter but don't think it'll quite be the same.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Not done any audax's yet as my location makes it tricky and expensive ,but I did do my first 204km ride the other day(solo) up here in Shetland. 10hours total, 8.5 moving.

https://www.relive.cc/view/994273297

http://moder-dye.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05 ... -ride.html

There are a few in the NE Scotland area I could make and fancy,but its the 12 hour ferry and cost each way that's off putting.

It was a struggle towards then end of my 200 and the next step of 300, never mind 400 or more seems a long way off. But I'd like to.

Any tips for the next step? Plan an easy route, wait for good conditions? Ride slower still?

As in the nausea and food thread I couldn't put anything in my mouth other than liquid for the last couple of hours and lower intensity and more savoury snacks were suggested, but as well as that getting to 300 would involve the legs managing more hills, they're not monster hills, but there's not much flat and we do have the odd breezy day, even on a calm day :lol:
Last edited by Moder-dye on Sat May 20, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I had to drop out of the BCM as the fella I was riding with dropped out and driving solo back to Suffolk for work on Monday after 36hrs in the saddle seemed a bit daft.

Norfolk Special 200 tomorrow though and can ride from my door to that one!
:-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

Believe there may be a few of us out on the 3 Coasts this weekend.
I'll be around on friday night to drop the bike off, but back home to sleep

I'll be in my Halifax top, so easy to spot :-bd