Upgrade or not??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

seanroy

Upgrade or not??

Post by seanroy »

Hi All,

I've just got back into riding after several years out. Unfortunately, due to cash flow I sold my old Kona so have recently had to start again.
I only had a £600 budget and had to get both the missus and I a new bike so I ended up opting for the Carrera Sulcata as it look pretty good value and seemed to have fairly impressive reviews for the price.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

My question is two fold. Do you think it is worth making upgrades to this bike in the short term and if so does anyone have any recommendations on what I should be looking to upgrade?

Or should I just save the pennies and put them towards getting a better bike in the long term?

Any comments/advice would be much appreicated

Sean
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Upgrade or not??

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Having just looked at the spec', I'd say that (a) it doesn't actually look half bad, (b) the forks will likely be the first thing to let you down and (c) I wouldn't consider upgrading until something broke ... and even then I think of it purely as 'replacing'. Just enjoy them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'd also not bother changing anything.

There's nothing fancy but it'll get you round everything you want, I'd then upgrade when somethings dies, or save up and upgrade properly to another bike when you're ready
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yup, what the other two have said. Looks a decent basic spec, run it until stuff dies then upgrade-replace. Forks would be my first port of call as and when they start to expire. If you desperately want hydraulic brakes as an upgrade I've a set of Hayes Strokers you're more then welcome to for nowt, but they might not actually be any better than the cable discs on there already
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
seanroy

Post by seanroy »

Thanks a lot for the info fella's - The bike has held up well on the first few rides out so at present I'm fairly happy considering what I paid.

Thanks for the offer on the Strokers Pyro, I'll see how I get on with the cables for now, but might take you up on the offer in the future, although I'd have to give you something for them

Cheers

Sean
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

seanroy wrote:Thanks for the offer on the Strokers Pyro, I'll see how I get on with the cables for now, but might take you up on the offer in the future, although I'd have to give you something for them
No you wouldn't. If you decide you want them at any point, PM me an address and stick the cost of a pint in a charity box to cover postage. They were given to me for nowt so I'll happily gift them on.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
seanroy

Post by seanroy »

That's very kind of you mate, top man!!
Mart

Post by Mart »

I got the same bike for the kids and was impressed with what I got for the money
Doesn't ride too bad either and the cable discs were better than what I had expected
2924 miles per Gallon