I'm almost certainly right...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mechanicaldope

I'm almost certainly right...

Post by mechanicaldope »

... despite having no experience whatsoever.

Should probably start by saying hi as I'm brand new to this place, so, hi everyone!

I am currently planning a long weekend cycling the trans cambrian way with a couple of mates in June. None of us have any bikepacking experience at all but each have some outdoors knowledge. Mine is from when I did my chief scouts award in the black mountains 18 years ago (eek!). Anyhow, we are currently debating the best bikes to use. I have a Bird Zero and a Croix de Fer. My mate has a Shan Production Privee and is getting a Cotic cx bike of some kind. I'm sure that my choice of the Bird and Shan are the bikes to take but my mate is pretty adamant the cx bikes are the way to go.

Any thoughts?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: I'm almost certainly right...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any thoughts?
The 'ideal' bike imo would be a rigid 29er with fast rolling tyres - given the time of year. So, I'd pick the one nearest to that :wink:

How well do the Bird and Shan climb?

What's the gearing like on the crossers? If it's road biased I wouldn't take them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Both the mtb's are hardtails so climb pretty well.

Route is still being planned but will be off road for as much as possible.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Just realised to I miss read the previous. Think the gearing is probably easier on the mtb's but not by much.

Guess a couple of questions which may help influence:

- Any idea what the terrain is like? Have read a few blogs and looked at a couple of images but still unsure.

- Is front suspension going to be a problem?

- Is fitting handlebar bags to drop bars limiting in anyway?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Route is still being planned but will be off road for as much as possible.
So you're not riding the TCW then but planning your own route?
Any idea what the terrain is like? Have read a few blogs and looked at a couple of images but still unsure.
Don't know because I'm still not sure where you're going. If you are following the TCW, the terrain is quite varied but there's nothing overly rough.
Is front suspension going to be a problem?
No, well not unless it allows your bar bag to hit the wheel on compression.
Is fitting handlebar bags to drop bars limiting in anyway?
Not if you have something narrow enough to sit between the drops - some are better than others.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Following the TCW. I missread your comment "If it's road biased..." as "If it's road based..." which made me think there were multiple route options I was going to have to investigate.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Having done the TCW a few times, the only bikes that would be bad choices would be a road bike or a bmx. Ideal bikes - cx, 29er hardtail, short travel full suss or anything in between. There is nothing really technical or challenging, just lots of ground to cover, and having done it with a rucksack and full bikepacking bags etc the way to carry your gear is the way that is most comfortable for you. I don't mind stuff on my bike but lots do.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Following the TCW. I missread your comment "If it's road biased..." as "If it's road based..." which made me think there were multiple route options I was going to have to investigate.
Sorry, I meant is the gearing on the CX bikes road biased ... not worded well.

Weather conditions will obviously determine what ground conditions are like but there's a good chance (dear God please) that June will be dry with very little standing water or mud.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Seems like either bike would probably be ok in that case. Think I will definitely take the Bird as guess it maybe a little more comfy with the larger volume tyres.

The next issue for me really is the kit. I am starting from a base of no kit at all so think this is going to turn out fairly expensive.

Planning on bivvying so have just brought a sleeping bag (mountain equipment titan 425) and planning on the alpkit bivvy bag (probably their bivvy bundle which includes stove, mug and spork as well). A sleeping mat is a bit of a problem area - they are a fair bit more expensive than I thought they would be. Tempted by the alpkit airo 120 which seems fairly compact and cheapish. It's 3/4 length though so not sure how comfy it will be.

Guess a tarp of some description from Dd hammocks.

To carry it all I am torn between the wildcat and alpkit systems. By all accounts wildcat are the better bags but workout quite a bit more. If I had a bar bag and a seat pack I am thinking that I wouldn't really need any frame bag for what is only a 3 day trip. Am planning on having a backpack but really don't want too much in this.

Is any of the above a bad choice? Any advice would be great. Would like to try and keep my budget for the remaining items (I.e. Everything bar sleeping bag) below £400.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you have a seat-pack and bar harness, chances are you really won't need a frame bag - in reality they don't generally hold as much as you imagine.

Don't skimp on a mat, it's just as important as a sleeping bag. An air mat will pack much smaller than a self inflating mat and be much more comfortable - the new one at Alpkit looks interesting although I've not seen one in the flesh.

Don't go mad on tarp size, a smaller sized tarp like the Rig3.5 will offer enough coverage (with a little practice) and be much easier to pitch.

With a little planning / forethought, there's enough food options on the TCW that you could do away with the need to carry a stove / cook ... although you might enjoy that aspect.

Try a wanted in the classifieds - plenty of good kit sat about out there. :wink:
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

mechanicaldope wrote:Guess a tarp of some description from Dd hammocks.
Given that you've got until June, I'd suggest you start just by getting the minimal kit you need to go and spend a night outside, and then go and spend a night outside. My thoughts on what I needed changed pretty rapidly as I gained some experience.

The Hunka is a good choice.

I've not tried the Airo mat. I've got a Numo, which is pretty comfy and – this is important for bikepacking – rolls up very small. I've also got other mats with insulation inside for colder weather, but if you're going to stick to the summer months, the Numo is great. The Numo probably isn't as hard wearing though, so that might be a consideration.

I'm thinking you might not feel you need a tarp, but this will become clearer after you've tried sleeping out without one. They get in the way of the view, and are an extra thing to carry. I've been glad of a tarp in very cold winds, but have been quite comfortable without them in sleet and driving rain.

If it starts raining on your face, you can just roll over with your back to the rain, and arrange the hood of your bivvy bag so that it protects you from the rain and water doesn't run inside the hood, then go back to sleep. This manoeuvre is easier if your sleeping mat is outside the bivvy bag, and if you tend to sleep on your side. I suspect I'd carry a tarp more often if I preferred sleeping on my back.

Really, I'm just suggesting you try bivvying without a tarp, and seeing how you get on. Then you can spend the cash you save on luggage! ;-)
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Good call on the wanted ad. Will do that later.

Re the food. It looks like day 1 we can get some food in the evening from a village/town just before the Elan Valley. Day 2 looks like we will be staying a little more in the middle of nowhere. Would definitely want some way of making a cup of tea in anycase.

You maybe right about the tarp. Have bivvyed before under the stars. What worries me is that we will be in Wales....

For the sleeping mat I had also been considering the alpkit cloudbase (which is the one I think you mean) and also the Sea to Summit Regular Ultra Light mat. Both of which are about £50 but neither has any insulation so thought they maybe a bit cold?

Thanks for all the advice. It's really appreciated.
Last edited by mechanicaldope on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Summer I'm fine with uninsulated inflatable mats but in winter I need the insulation. We've got Exped Synmats (Winterlite and Hyperlite) but a lot of people use the Thermarest Neo-air.

I think my wife has one of these http://www.blacks.co.uk/activities/1049 ... r-bed.html or something very similar as her summer mat. I've a Klymit X-frame which might not be for everyone :roll:

Without trying stuff you won't know what works for you. Check what folk have for sale in the Classifieds.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Hello and welcome.

Re cooking and hot meals and a cup of tea.
Its surprising what you can do without and still stay in your comfort zone.
A piece of cheese and a mini pork pie washed down with cold citrus zero flavoured water may not be your 'cup of tea' but it keeps me going until I can find another food source. On multi day day trips especially in 'summer' as long as I am eating something then its ok.
As regards hot drinks consider a small vacuum flask for hot water and get it filled at a pub/cafe/roadside burger bar
and make whatever drink is appropriate. A tea bag is lighter than a stove/fuel/pot etc - unless its one of the BB specials. :wink:

PS dont worry about an eighteen year break as it all comes back the moment you are out there and most of it is common sense.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ill drop you my mobile no and i can take you out for a overnighter if you want somewhere local. Maybe not cannonhill park though :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Still selling these if any are of use:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... ats#p93822

Still got the Numo as well despite what it says in the ad. PM me if interested in any of them.