Light, but not on bars?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Light, but not on bars?

Post by ootini »

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this should be an MYOG request, or whether I should post it here. Either way, I'm sure some of you folks have had issues with handler bar bags obscuring lights and thus requiring some bodge to get the light on the road. I'm having similar issues, I use a Blackburn outpost handle bar harness, which pushes the bag up and out (bit like a wonderbra), and I use an ebay cree light, similar to this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxMjAw/ ... 8800005007

I don't think a simple extender is going to cut it as the bar harness is just too big, so was wondering, is it possible to fit the light to the fork crown? Or somewhere similar?

Cheers
benp1

Re: Light, but not on bars?

Post by benp1 »

Have you got mudguard mounts? Some of the german dynamo lights mount lower down but I think they use the mudguard mount
benp1

Post by benp1 »

One further thought, my light is a separate battery pack and light unit. If you have a similar light you could experiment putting it in different places, like a fork leg or bodging a mount across the fork crown, but I reckon your wheel will cast a shadow in many of the useful spots if it's quite a floody light. Might get a big annoying
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

benp1 wrote:Have you got mudguard mounts? Some of the german dynamo lights mount lower down but I think they use the mudguard mount
My B&M dynamo light is fork crown mounted - I've always used the mudguard mount for this - on the previous bike I drilled a hole myself in the steel forks. It's quite "tall" though so might interfere with any bag mounted on the bars, an Ortlieb 5L handlebar bag would touch it for example but was shallow enough to just sit in behind the light unit.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

Anyone ever used something like this: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rix ... 0wodlnwMbQ

?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ootini wrote:Anyone ever used something like this: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rix ... 0wodlnwMbQ

?
The wire part of that looks very similar to the mount on B&M lights so will lift the light by about the same amount.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

ootini wrote:Anyone ever used something like this: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rix ... 0wodlnwMbQ

?
No, but it looks nifty.

I got a Paul Gino light mount, which screws into an M5 boss (e.g. a mudguard eyelet or rack boss).

https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/gino-light-mount/

It's neat, but won't work with most MTBs. Then I found these:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-sp ... ght-mount/

I mount an Exposure Joystick to it.

I've not used it for proper off roading (I put my Joystick on my helmet for that), but I found it superb on the Festive 500. A beam that low down shows up potholes and undulations in a lumpy track superbly (you get more shadows), so on my "cross" style bike I find it superb. I've been down muddy and lumpy Sustrans routes faster at night with just that light than I have in daylight.

I think I'd want a light on my helmet too for single track.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Those light mounts look excellent!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Not exactly an answer to your question but I solved the problem with a CoolCharger mounting bracket.
Right now cant upload photo or find on interweb but I think it came off ebay.
I mount it on the front of my Jones loops clamped either side of the 'Jones' logo.
It raises the light so you are not creating a shadow close in to your front wheel and the whole assembly can be canted forward over the bag.
I only use this when riding with a bar bag and is a faff to mount especially on the trail with cold/wet hands and feeling tired and emotional and shouting 'why didn't I do this earlier'? :oops:
Mounting in the crown of the fork I found creates a tyre shadow especially when you have say 3" tyre.
Moving to one side merely moves the shadow about.
Might be ok might not.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

I've had similar problem on MTB, need to keep the bag high on the bars in order to allow suspension fork travel. I used some cheap cut-down tri-bars and a bodge (similar to the skewer mount) at the end of one of the tri-bars to mount the light (sorry, no pictures here though).
Never knowingly under biked...
ootini

Post by ootini »

Rich3rd wrote:I've had similar problem on MTB, need to keep the bag high on the bars in order to allow suspension fork travel. I used some cheap cut-down tri-bars and a bodge (similar to the skewer mount) at the end of one of the tri-bars to mount the light (sorry, no pictures here though).
I'd thought about something like that, as I'd like to add some tribars just for a little more flexibility when riding, but I think the bar harness and clamp I use, would actually stop me fitting tribars
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

K-lite do a nice light/Garmin mount. Really pleased with mine. Raises the light up above the bar bag and allows the Garmin to be angled so it can be read easily reducing reflection from the sun.
I got mine from Kerry direct. I think Travers bikes are now a U.K. stockist or if you've got acces to a 3D printer Kerry puts all his plans on the website for you to use!